The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Roth - Shell Coins Across (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
PaulIngram
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of PaulIngram
A routine that I've been performing since the book was first published in 1985, does anyone else enjoy this routine as much as I do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqsgCAarM1Q
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Well done!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hi Paul and Welcome to the Café... Smile

It's certainly one of my favorites, and I really like your take on it here...Smile And for what it's worth, I've always thought Roth's "Shell Coins Across" was one of his very best effects. Your presentation here shows why...That's some very nicely done coin magic, just the way I like it. And when coin magic is so cleanly/ interactively done like this, it's just about the only coin trick one needs to do to leave a great smile on people and a lasting impression. Good job, mate! Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
PaulIngram
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of PaulIngram
Thanks Smile - I've performed this effect tens of thousands of times in just about every performing situation you can imagine. For me, it's one of the greatest close-up magic effects of all time. I know a lot of people might not agree with that statement but believe me, when that last coin appears in their hand the reactions are always the same. This single effect has secured me work around the world.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I know what you mean, sometimes "less is indeed more," especially when it's all you need to begin with. Smile

I can do all sorts of things but prefer to just do a little nowadays, but the "little" I do these days are a very potent few. Smile I watch some folks do this & that with coins, and after a while, it begins to all look more alike than not....Perhaps they just try to do too much, who knows? Smile I find it better to keep things somewhat short, simple to follow and engaging, and that sorta works best it seems.

What I like about Shell Coins Across, is that it appears so impossible. Smile The clever old mischief about it, is completely out of the purview of specs to even think about. Just add a good presentation of it, as you have (and another of my magical mates from across the pond there, Sean "SS" Goodman) and it kills every time. Smile I used to do it a lot, and found in most cases, it was all the top-of-the-line coin magic you needed. I'm not kidding, just add a card trick, a good closeup effect, and throw in a piece of mentalism, all simple-enough stuff, and you've done it all for them and they'll be brought to happiness whenever they think of it. Smile Now, I'm a coin guy, so I would always end with another coin effect as a finale. Smile

I've always said that every good magician needs to have a good Coins Across at the ready, and while I like doing my own, I have to admit that "Shell Coins Across" is without a doubt still one of the very best, bar none. This particular coin trick is a real reputation maker, and Roth struck gold, of all the gold he has, with this one, BIGTIME! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
258 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
Very nice! It's one of my favorite routines too. I really enjoyed seeing some of your interactive variations that aren't written into the instructions of "Expert Coin Magic."

On the second coin going across you put your receiving hand on top of the spectator's hand. Even though the magic isn't really happening in her hand, she reacted like it was.

On the third coin going across you had her hold onto your wrist and got her involved.

On the final coin instead of a spider vanish I liked how you held onto the spectator's wrist, after setting that situation up with the third coin. It made for a subtle convincer that the coin had indeed gone from your hand to her's.

Quote:
I've always said that every good magician needs to have a good Coins Across at the ready, and while I like doing my own, I have to admit that "Shell Coins Across" is without a doubt still one of the very best, bar none. This particular coin trick is a real reputation maker, and Roth struck gold, of all the gold he has, with this one, BIGTIME!

It's also not very hard to perform either, so it's a good one for even folks who aren't into lots of coin practice.

Dave
PaulIngram
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of PaulIngram
Wilktone - thanks for your kind comments and keen observations! From a technical perspective, the routine is not difficult although the techniques involved have to be performed with precision and confidence. I remember back in 1985 practicing the routine at home for a period of about 6 months before I even performed it for the first time. The routine builds nicely with the repetition when performed correctly and is very deceptive.

My greatest contribution to the routine if any is the handling of the last coin:

Firstly, holding onto the spectator's wrist with a coin palmed in the same hand negates any thought that a coin could be hidden in that hand and so makes the final vanish much more deceptive.

Secondly, holding onto the hand kills any angles for hiding the shell during the climax.

Thirdly (and most importantly), it allows me to take control of the timing for the climax of the routine rather than the spectator doing so. The importance of this last comment is only something professionals will appreciate.

I have a lifetimes debt of gratitude to David Roth for this routine as he really did "Strike Gold" when he created it.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Nice work Paul with a few nice touches, I've only really performed that type of routine a few times for the paying public as I tend to use other versions of the effect more so such as Sankeys Mr Clean coins across but it's definitely made me think about bringing it back out of the magic drawer Smile
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Nice work Paul - I love it too! Here's my handling - hope you like it buddy

https://youtu.be/80jEfFpAW7s
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Paul,
our dear Paul,
it is quite refreshing to see that
sometimes using a tried and true CLASSIC MIRACLE thousands of times is the best road to securing
real miracles in spectator's minds. thanks this is what we all need to realize.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I recall telling Mr Roth one time, while he worked at Fantasma Magic in NYC, that his shell coins across was the greatest close up routine ever created. I've modified his routine to fit my style but the foundation is built upon the Roth masterpiece.
furmanmatt
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
217 Posts

Profile of furmanmatt
Great routine Paul, well done. Thanks for posting, really an amazing routine for real people. I use this routine allllllll the time. I got rid of all the classic palms. For me that was a weakness of the trick. Take a look-
https://youtu.be/toqCMM-hnm4?t=15s
Invisticone
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Invisticone
Great routine, technically easy,great angles, especially with people stamdimg around, as in your video, and the way I use it as well. After counting the coins, I flash front and back of both hands, probably just because I can, but I like it in my presentation. I do the spider vanish with a quick handwash whose credits escape me, to fp of left hand. One of the best! Thanks Mr Roth!
scotchrocket
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
120 Posts

Profile of scotchrocket
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2017, PaulIngram wrote:
A routine that I've been performing since the book was first published in 1985, does anyone else enjoy this routine as much as I do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqsgCAarM1Q

Paul, love your take on this classic routine; one of if not the best coin routine ever invented, imho.

Quote:
On Jun 26, 2017, simplymagicweb wrote:

You too Mr. Goodman! Amazing version, with a great reaction from a great spectator.

I've rewatched your take a bunch of times over the last year or two to identify and learn from your handling, timing, and patter. Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
On Jul 2, 2017, furmanmatt wrote:
Great routine Paul, well done. Thanks for posting, really an amazing routine for real people. I use this routine allllllll the time. I got rid of all the classic palms. For me that was a weakness of the trick. Take a look-
https://youtu.be/toqCMM-hnm4?t=15s

Your version is also great, Matt. I could learn a lot from your timing and the direction of focus/attention on that spider vanish. Simple, no frills work.

Loved them all, thank you gentleman!
All about borrowed coins.
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2017, simplymagicweb wrote:

Very slick/smooth! Well done!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you like doing the Roth routine as written you're in a great place to look at something in an old(er) book which plays the item a little bigger for formal occasions using covers and more byplay with a volunteer.

The book, More Magic, by Hoffmann (Angelo Lewis) has a section on using the gaff - titled "Multiplying Coins". There's an item which starts about next to figure 55 uses two metal covers, which are about like inverted okito boxes. In that routine coins vanish using the gaff, and a coin appears in a volunteer's hand using that gaff. In working through that routine, or even parts of it, you can see how much Roth added by streamlining the effect and intelligent use of some sleights.

That routine has been sitting in the book for generations. Something of an open secret in coin magic. There are other items on nearby pages you might want to explore using David Roth's sleights and strategies.

In contrasting the routines as offered by Hoffmann to what David Roth has shown ...you can get a glimpse of what he's added to our craft. And unlike Angelo Lewis, David is alive today to hear you say "thanks".
...to all the coins I've dropped here
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Having been inspired by Paul and Sean's handling of Roth's excellent routine I dusted off my coins and got to work on my own variation, I got to use it at a wedding I was performing at on Saturday and I must say it went down extremely well and is a definite keeper so thanks for the inspiration Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Good work, warren. Smile

This is such an excellent coin trick. I've mentioned that above, but it's worth saying again and again. Smile I don't tend to use gimmicks too much but the effect is a great reason to. It's just impossible looking and as others have shown above in some wonderful ways, gives way to great flexibility in presenting it.

Roth hit the jackpot on this one BIGTIME! Smile It's not one of his most challenging pieces, but it is one of his very best IMHO. It's one of those coin tricks that I say sometimes because of its unique stealth, clarity, and amazement, is all you need on you for some memorable magic of the coin. It really teaches you so much. Smile

warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Hey Marion a pm awaits you Smile
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I use Fechter's for impromptu and David's at the other times.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Roth - Shell Coins Across (24 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL