The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Venom by Magie Factory (94 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..23~24~25 [Next]
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2017, SleepyMagic wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2017, niva wrote:
How easy is it to repair once the the thread breaks?

Really easy! Will take around 2-3 mins to set it all up again.

Sleepy

Sleepy - Thank you! This is my issue in a nutshell. Changing thread on Mesika pen or tarantula 2 is 10 seconds because of his spools. Preloaded and ready to go with wax right on them. When working I do not have an extra 2-3 min with a mag glass and white paper and good light. Often I need to reset by touch in my outer coat pocket to move on. I hope the IT is really strong in Venom because breaks are not fun!
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2017, StarManager wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sleepy

Sleepy - Thank you! This is my issue in a nutshell. Changing thread on Mesika pen or tarantula 2 is 10 seconds because of his spools. Preloaded and ready to go with wax right on them. When working I do not have an extra 2-3 min with a mag glass and white paper and good light. Often I need to reset by touch in my outer coat pocket to move on. I hope the IT is really strong in Venom because breaks are not fun!

The IT is strong in VENOM but then also less invisible.

It's basically stage thread...this is my issue right now... If I should replace the VENOM thread for something like vectra close up.

I would then may not be able to do some of the effects on the download as they require fairly strong thread.

I might just replace it to see how it is then if need be will replace it back with the VENOM IT.

Sleepy
RayLogan
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of RayLogan
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2017, StarManager wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sleepy

While this is true you won't be able to do the effects possible with the two Venoms...
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Understood. Sleepy and thank you. I expect to be using them for different things. Venom is way more naturally traditional as a reel. The Medsika stuff brings a different element with tension and reel. Two different things, agreed.
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Now I am starting to see the potential of the Mesika spools. Before it used to take ages to find the ends again.
Yours,

Ivan
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
It's really easy to find the ends with this itr...I haven't had a single problem.

Sleepy
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Just had one big problem so far and lost nearly a quarter of IT because it angled up below the spool.
The small ball bearing shifted and caused a wobbly movement of the spool.
I was able to push it back in place but lost a lit of IT.
The ITR allows for a mechanically easy and neat repair. But I also feel that this is needed at the beginning.
Carderrez
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, Texas
188 Posts

Profile of Carderrez
I should be getting my Venom in another day or so. I definitely will not be using it for stage. Intimate parlor work at best. I am thinking about getting some stripped Kevlar to replace the IT that comes with the Venom. It looks like its about $20 to get two 50 foot stripped spools with shipping. I have seen the training the video one time and I believe they mention needing to change out the elastic for a thinner thread. Any thoughts on this?

I am just getting started with IT and am learning very quickly it's not enormously costly to learn, but it's not cheap either, but I've caught the bug. I think I am a getting close to $400 so far (DVDs, extra reels, loops, better loops, Legacy IT to make my own, wax, and better wax, T2, etc.) That's getting into the price range of some of the Illusion Works effects I've been wanting for ages, but I believe it will be worth it when all is said and done.

In my minds eye, I am not thinking so much of focusing on the levitation or ghostly aspects, but more as flourishes with a prop at the end of a routine. Something more along the lines of "What? that's where it goes when the trick is done" sort of thing. For the exception maybe of the haunted pack and even then deemphasize it, as "Don't worry, this is perfectly normal. I'm a magician."
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2017, Carderrez wrote:
I should be getting my Venom in another day or so. I definitely will not be using it for stage. Intimate parlor work at best. I am thinking about getting some stripped Kevlar to replace the IT that comes with the Venom. It looks like its about $20 to get two 50 foot stripped spools with shipping. I have seen the training the video one time and I believe they mention needing to change out the elastic for a thinner thread. Any thoughts on this?

I am just getting started with IT and am learning very quickly it's not enormously costly to learn, but it's not cheap either, but I've caught the bug. I think I am a getting close to $400 so far (DVDs, extra reels, loops, better loops, Legacy IT to make my own, wax, and better wax, T2, etc.) That's getting into the price range of some of the Illusion Works effects I've been wanting for ages, but I believe it will be worth it when all is said and done.

In my minds eye, I am not thinking so much of focusing on the levitation or ghostly aspects, but more as flourishes with a prop at the end of a routine. Something more along the lines of "What? that's where it goes when the trick is done" sort of thing. For the exception maybe of the haunted pack and even then deemphasize it, as "Don't worry, this is perfectly normal. I'm a magician."

If.you are using a thinner thr*** then you need a less resistant elastic which is provided with the venom

Sleepy
RayLogan
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of RayLogan
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2017, Carderrez wrote:

Just remember you need strong IT to do the effects as shown. Arthur who demonstrated the effects says he uses it as it comes. If you're new to IT and change it out to a thinner IT you will be breaking a lot of it if you plan on doing the effects he shows. He never says you "need" to change the IT to thinner, just that you can if you wish, it's an option but you will have issues to do the effects and it is not elastic as you mentioned. I would personally get comfortable with the thicker IT first and then experiment. My 2c.
Ou_Tis
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Ou_Tis
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2017, SleepyMagic wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2017, mh1001 wrote:
SleepyMagic, what you say reminds me of why I don't put so much effort to practice IT. Lot of people told me just that. Yes, people know there's a thread. It's very difficult to make them think there is no thread. One of the best tricks I know of is a crumped bill which floats inside a glass covered by a book. I've seen several people who "knew" about thread and when they saw that trick, they said "he doesn't seem to be using thread... how's that possible ?". There are indeed some levitation effects which work much better than others. In the trailer, the trick that impressed me the most is the rings stopping in mid air. Have you tried that ? In any case, if I'm actually practicing IT at a slow pace, it's not for doing levitation, but more for doing PK effects. I don't know if you like PK, though.

I didn't actually get venom for any of the levitation type effects but rather for the haunted deck and some other of my own PK effects.

The ring stop looks really good...but to spectators..there is only one solution which is unfortunately the correct one..

However.. with the horizontal ring flight ... although I haven't watched the tutorial video...(I'm just assuming how it works)...I think I have a way of proving no IT is used in an indirect way

Not sure about this but will post about it once I receive the tutorial and units.

Sleepy

Actually, having performed the time stop a bunch of times now within a couple feet of spectators (with Vectra X2 Stage Thread)... they guess it's magnetism. Which I find hilarious.

When you drop it, it's basically just your index finger over it---and your index finger doesn't make any motion to drop the thread for the ring to fall after the stop. The way it stops also just doesn't look like something that could be achieved by dangling it from a thread so that it stops at the end---because that's not what's happening. You can also let the spectators examine your hands and the ring right afterwards.

If it's a light enough ring you can also make it jump back up to your finger.

Personally I'm ambivalent about the effect but it has been getting great reactions.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2017, Ou_Tis wrote:

Sleepy

Actually, having performed the time stop a bunch of times now within a couple feet of spectators (with Vectra X2 Stage Thread)... they guess it's magnetism. Which I find hilarious.

Thank you for your note. Is the Vector X2 Stage Thread included with the Venom? If not is it more or less visible than what is packaged with Venom? Thank You!
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, StarManager wrote:
Quote:

Sleepy

Thank you for your note. Is the Vector X2 Stage Thread included with the Venom? If not is it more or less visible than what is packaged with Venom? Thank You!

I believe it's not the Vectra X2 Stage Thread, this one is very strong but very visible (I mean... you need the right light situations) but you can find the differences on the emagic supply website.

Which I believe I will order some Vectra Thread soon. (The standart one)
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
Ou_Tis
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Ou_Tis
Quote:
Quote:

Sleepy

It's not. Looked at them side by side just now and their visibility seems pretty similar. I only switched to Vectra X2 because my initial experiments led to the thread they provided breaking repeatedly (catching on objects, breaking against weights that were too heavy) and I made the mistake of wasting a lot of thread, not realizing how little they provide... so I was left with too little thread to do the effects as in the video.

Initially I bought the Vectra Line thread based on recommendations here, but it seems very difficult to separate out long enough strands of thread. The Vectra X2 doesn't need to be separated. (It still took me a long time to wind enough thread onto the ITR's.)
RayLogan
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of RayLogan
Wow, finally arrived today, yippee! The quality of the reel is beautiful, so very smooth as well. Now it's play time... I did get some Vectra IT in a thread bullet (so I don't have to strip it) in case I should break a lot of Venom IT and run out Smile ellusionist doesn't carry the kit for Venom the Magie Factory offers and it seems the MF doesn't ship to the US as they told me to go through ellusionist. There's a paradox - so I guess I may have to make friends with someone in France to possible get one. Smile
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
I also ordered some vectra IT and I will let you know how it goes tomorrow when I receive it and put it into the ITR's

Sleepy
RayLogan
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of RayLogan
[quote]On Sep 11, 2017, Ou_Tis wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sleepy

It's not. Looked at them side by side just now and their visibility seems pretty similar. I only switched to Vectra X2 because my initial experiments led to the thread they provided breaking repeatedly (catching on objects, breaking against weights that were too heavy) and I made the mistake of wasting a lot of thread, not realizing how little they provide... so I was left with too little thread to do the effects as in the video.

Initially I bought the Vectra Line thread based on recommendations here, but it seems very difficult to separate out long enough strands of thread. The Vectra X2 doesn't need to be separated. (It still took me a long time to wind enough thread onto the ITR's.) [/quote

The thread bullets by Fearson come with pre-stripped Vectra, 40 ft of it, and offer two other kinds of IT if you so desire but the Vectra would be the strongest.
RayLogan
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of RayLogan
What is sad is I found a China magic site is selling the Venom download for $3.99. I spent my $159.00 plus for Venom with gimmicks but they are selling the download for just $4. What is with that? Smile This is not right... I paid my share and yet others can steal it, how do they get away with that? ellusionist might want to tighten up their downloads and distribution.
Carderrez
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, Texas
188 Posts

Profile of Carderrez
I have been following the IT spark ever since the T2 / Venom chatter started preordering both, and then of course realizing afterwards they both require refills and additional supplies and on top of that finally tried out loops and got lucky and found a good deal on the Guerilla Guide to Loops DVD set. Then in my pursuit of making sure I have enough of everything I need to train and determine what works best for me. I looked into the Vectra Line and found The Master Levitation system by Steve Fearson and just finished watching it.

Wow did it make me feel like a greenhorn. It seems many of performance aspects of both T2 and Venom are found in this tutorial. I would go so far as to say I think I just learned how to make a poor man's Venom. I kept reading and hearing about the Fearson hookup - (good thing its not Christmas, I'd be the bulb that got bumped.) As a beginner in ITR and having watched both the T2 and Venom training videos. This was my favorite of the three. Now I feel I have a true sense of what I need to consider adding IT work to my act.

Before I forget I want thank everyone who commented on my question earlier. It was very helpful advice.
Carderrez
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, Texas
188 Posts

Profile of Carderrez
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, RayLogan wrote:
What is sad is I found a China magic site is selling the Venom download for $3.99. I spent my $159.00 plus for Venom with gimmicks but they are selling the download for just $4. What is with that? Smile This is not right... I paid my share and yet others can steal it, how do they get away with that? ellusionist might want to tighten up their downloads and distribution.

That is pretty jacked up. It is intellectual property theft pure and simple.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Venom by Magie Factory (94 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..23~24~25 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL