The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Venom by Magie Factory (94 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19..23~24~25 [Next]
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
I used one for both...you just have to be good at estimating when you have used half of your thread bullet.

Sleepy
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Perfect, will order one then.

And do you believe it has enough counting with breaks etc?
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Still waiting for mine to arrive
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
RayLogan
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of RayLogan
The thread bullets have 40 feet of IT so it's enough for both Venoms.
Ou_Tis
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Ou_Tis
Rubber band in one of my ITRs broke. Easy to find a replacement, but a bit of a pain to tie and put back on.

Between the thread and the ITRs breaking this product is a huge hassle for a limited set of unique effects (that require wedding band style rings). Ellusionist's marketing video is extremely misleading---would not recommend this for casual/social users who want to do relatively close-up PK with minimal hassle and no worries about the thread breaking. Especially if you're not married and don't want to ask people to hand you their wedding bands.
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
I'm not sure why I couldn't do all the stuff in the demo with two cheap reels or a large miseka thread loop. Are the reals really worth $160?
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
This is not a beginner set-up (Venom). If you want to go the cheaper route for practice, sure, but I would not risk performance on 3 faults (two reels and a loop).
As far as the vectra question if one bullet is enough....buy two and have some extra.
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, The Hermit wrote:
I'm not sure why I couldn't do all the stuff in the demo with two cheap reels or a large miseka thread loop. Are the reals really worth $160?

Yes, Absolutely ! Smile
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, magicmind wrote:
This is not a beginner set-up (Venom). If you want to go the cheaper route for practice, sure, but I would not risk performance on 3 faults (two reels and a loop).
As far as the vectra question if one bullet is enough....buy two and have some extra.

Regular thread bosses would work fine for this. There's really nothing special about the Venom in terms of risk and what a reel is supposed to do. There's (based on the ad copy) some convenience features supposedly in the design but overall I don't see how things like breakage and other faults would be any different between the Venom and a thread boss. You can also re-thread thread boss with something like Vectra if you wish. It's all pretty straight forward.

The loop on the other hand, yeah, those can break pretty easily.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:

Regular thread bosses would work fine for this. There's really nothing special about the Venom in terms of risk and what a reel is supposed to do. There's (based on the ad copy) some convenience features supposedly in the design but overall I don't see how things like breakage and other faults would be any different between the Venom and a thread boss. You can also re-thread thread boss with something like Vectra if you wish. It's all pretty straight forward.

The loop on the other hand, yeah, those can break pretty easily.

Agreed. I was not clear. This is not a set to "play"with at the price point. I use a kevlar thread boss and loops, just not at the same time.
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Quote:

They look like nice reels. I'm not sure there aren't more affordable reels that pass as 'pro'.I guess machined aluminum vs plastic and as to the picture it looks like the thread comes out the top vs middle. A good idea for reloading. That horizontal ring trick isn't new. I'll just tie a loop of invisible thread and save my 160. My biggest issue with the horizontal ring deal in the video is that it is greatly misleading. If it's what I suspect, there is a good bit of get-ready. You don't just pick up a ring and it flies to the other hand. There has always been deceptive advertising in magic, but people should always be skeptical.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
The horizontal ring flight takes very little set up. No more than any other reel-based technique I've seen. It would not be unreasonable to describe it as, "Display a ring on your finger, take the ring off, separate your hands, the ring flies back to the original hand."

If you don't know how the trick is done, it's not very genuine to make declarations that it's misleading.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
Quote:

They look like nice reels. I'm not sure there aren't more affordable reels that pass as 'pro'.I guess machined aluminum vs plastic and as to the picture it looks like the thread comes out the top vs middle. A good idea for reloading. That horizontal ring trick isn't new. I'll just tie a loop of invisible thread and save my 160. My biggest issue with the horizontal ring deal in the video is that it is greatly misleading. If it's what I suspect, there is a good bit of get-ready. You don't just pick up a ring and it flies to the other hand. There has always been deceptive advertising in magic, but people should always be skeptical.

Someone already showed the moves after a little practice. It is not deceptive advertising. I think you missed that part of this thread.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2017, RayLogan wrote:
DID YOU READ YOUR LAST LINE??? so why the post???

Again, I had to look twice to see the quiver and I've seen Star Trek episodes where they took longer to materialize... To: Tons ?s With that said and it was a small quiver, like ultra small but "what does it mean?" Maybe the rubber bands were scared because they found themselves suspended in time? I do agree specs are smart but the stop of the elastics could have been just braking in time, they are rubber (if they EVER saw it, it's live, not you staring at a vid a few times trying to tear it apart)!!, again it would go unnoticed and to say it's more than small is ++++++-++, anyway again you are way off base ( I do own it so I am on base) but yes we do all have opinions, I would say to you stay away from thread work... if you don't have Venom then you don't know; now, everyone that does have them are working on routines and sharing on here, weeks or months from now these routines will be perfected. I say buy it or not voice until you know... You can't judge a product by one video, did Arthurs's time stop of the ring quiver? NO, so it's not nice putting a video down by someone sharing his new work with a prop. Again IMHFO

I did read it, in fact I wrote it.
Did you read the line before it? Where I said
Quote:
We're both entitled to our own (and different) opinions. That we disagree doesn't make me "way off base" any more than you are.

That seems relevant, here, too.

I'm not talking about the quiver, I'm talking about the half-second they take to settle because they fall too far, tense up from elastic, and then bounce back. It's also something I noticed the first time - and I've only watched the video one per posting about it. That's right - I only watched it once when I posted about it the first time, not "many times trying to tear it apart.

Just because I liked a visual doesn't mean I can't provide feedback, or think something's too revealing. Feedback is how people perfect those new routines.
Just because I offered some criticism doesn't mean I'm "putting a video down". Again, that's how people learn.
Just because I made a claim about a routine doesn't mean I'm judging the product negatively. (I'm not; I still think it looks great, and may get one some day).
Just because I don't have a Venom doesn't mean I don't understand ITRs, or do plenty of other thread work.
Just because you have a Venom doesn't mean that details common to all thread work go out the window, and so I can't know anything about what's going on.
Just because I disagree with you on a point doesn't mean that I (or you) are "way off base". We can have differing opinions, and that's normal.

Just because you disagree with me or disliked something I said doesn't mean there's any reason to be rude, inflammatory, or obstinate. I've done none of these things, and have no intention to. Why not have a calm, civil discussion about it? Though at this point, I'm not really sure how much more there is to say, we'll likely have to agree to disagree.

Have a great weekend.
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Someone already showed the moves after a little practice. It is not deceptive advertising. I think you missed that part of this thread.

I was going by the illusionist promo video. They make it look like you pick up a ring and it does all the amazing levitations. I'm sure they're great reels, but the promo is misleading to someone who doesn't know what's involved. All promos are misleading now days. Someone on the Café should point out to young magicians that the latest and greatest isn't always the case. You can do amazing effects without spending a ton of dough. I still say I can do all that with a loop of kevlar thread fora buck or less.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Cub Sines: Yigal Mesika has spent a lot of time thinking about how to prove his work is magic and not threads. I've seen a few lectures/videos where he talks about about things he does (e.g. the finger around the lifesaver in the Tarantula video) to suggest to the audience that there's no way there could be thread. Does that mean they might not still suspect? No. But if great threadworkers do it, and think it's important to work in, then that's a good reason for me to at least consider thinking about, too.

The Hermit: Remember, the package comes with two reels. So that means it's really $80 a reel, which isn't that much more than other "pro" reels that I've seen run from $40-$100. But I agree that on first glance $160 seems like a lot before you realize it's really half as much each.
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, tonsofquestions wrote:
Cub Sines: Yigal Mesika has spent a lot of time thinking about how to prove his work is magic and not threads. I've seen a few lectures/videos where he talks about about things he does (e.g. the finger around the lifesaver in the Tarantula video) to suggest to the audience that there's no way there could be thread. Does that mean they might not still suspect? No. But if great threadworkers do it, and think it's important to work in, then that's a good reason for me to at least consider thinking about, too.

The Hermit: Remember, the package comes with two reels. So that means it's really $80 a reel, which isn't that much more than other "pro" reels that I've seen run from $40-$100. But I agree that on first glance $160 seems like a lot before you realize it's really half as much each.

No argument. If they're really pro reels, better than a Boss at $40 or a knockoff at $10, I say buy it. When you pay 160 and then say you have to buy better thread, you're into 200 bucks. It's worth it to some. My point is that if you wanted to, you could do all those amazing things pretty close with a 4 foot loop. Although, you can't make a straw fly down the sushi bar. But, then again, why would you. Not against paying for quality. But if you look around those tricks can be done other ways for less. Just sayin'
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
[quote]On Sep 22, 2017, The Hermit wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They look like nice reels. I'm not sure there aren't ....

I was going by the illusionist promo video. They make it look like you pick up a ring and it does all the amazing levitations. I'm sure they're great reels, but the promo is misleading to someone who doesn't know what's involved. All promos are misleading now days. Someone on the Café should point out to young magicians that the latest and greatest isn't always the case. You can do amazing effects without spending a ton of dough. I still say I can do all that with a loop of kevlar thread fora buck or less.

You're right.
RayLogan
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of RayLogan
My 2c. IT work is not relatively easy, most in magic know this if you have been a true student. If you are new then you may have to pay the price we all have... buying something either beyond your expertise, or buying junk. Venom is far from junk but still finicky like most ITRs though I do think these are super quality for the discerning worker. The price is fair for what you get. With that said the props don't make the magician but a good magician can use them to his upmost ability and make them perform and create miracles. I think these are worth it and maybe not for a new ITR guy but then again, they can be if you are patient and really practice. If you can't read between the lines I might not spend over $20 for anything, that's up to you but please don't cry over spilled milk, if you take the time the rewards will come, plain and simple. Try to buy a car, they don't tell you everything (^&%%$#@@C&R^%C) and magic is much more secretive. The price point is geared more to workers than just the curious and it's still worth every penny at least to me and many others... So in a quick phrase, sh*t or get off the pot but don't !@#$%. This is a pro item. Venom is awesome in the right hands, they can be yours if you're willing to take the time. Many times I see someone complaining about certain effects and it's that they either haven't taken the time to practice and learn or they haven't learned and practiced...

Yes, you can use cheap reels, do a cheap show for free even. Quality comes at a price. I think these are the best ITRs of this type I've ever touched. I'll pay $100-200 any day for an effect that is a worker, yes just for one effect that I will use and blow people away with, then again I've spent many times more... I think just the time stop is worth that to me, but then again with my previous thinking I'm not that prudent. Smile
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, WitchDocChris wrote:
The horizontal ring flight takes very little set up. No more than any other reel-based technique I've seen. It would not be unreasonable to describe it as, "Display a ring on your finger, take the ring off, separate your hands, the ring flies back to the original hand."

If you don't know how the trick is done, it's not very genuine to make declarations that it's misleading.

First off, if you don't know what someone else knows you shouldn't make declarations about their understanding. I am referring to the ellusionist video. I know all things are hyped. I know the fanboys here will say anything about a new product if they like the manufacturer or the product. It would not be unreasonable, but it would not be accurate either.
I know how it's done. The method and variations have been around. You have to bring your hands together with the ring, make a move that's not that transparent, separate your hands and the ring flys. At no point on the video do you see that. The video shows the ring in one hand and it flys to the other. Tthey make it look really easy and clean - it's not. I get they're selling. It's just not an actual representation of what really happens in front of the spec. Unexperienced magicians should know that. Are some of the people here pitching this ellusionist employees? They should make that clear as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Venom by Magie Factory (94 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL