The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Tricks to teach kids between 8-14 (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
I already have a few idea's, but wanted to ask to get more idea's. They have to be pretty much almost self working, or little difficulty as possible. Thanks. They will have 2 hours class time, and then a week to practice before performing them for a performing arts camp.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of aheller5
What are some of your ideas danny
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Danny,

There are numerous magic teaching courses already out there.

If your serious about this effort, and you're in this for the long haul, meaning you plan to offer these course for years to come, I would just buy several of these courses and pull the best material from each one.

Many of these guys have already done all the homework.

Gerry
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Special user
Berlin/Germany
512 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Danny

your question was often asked here before. If you use the search engine you can find lots of really helpful results.

Good luck

Daniel
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1188 Posts

Profile of Russo
A while back there was a section about - kid-hats and NITS - - use a paper tear hat - - fresh each show--you can make your own - both Bonnet - Wizard - its EZ.
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island
410 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
Are you looking to teach them tricks, or techniques to use ( slights with coins, cards, etc). I don't know how if it is suppose to be a learning thing. Also,the difference between what an 8 year old can, and a 13 year old can do just in terms with cards are big.

Some ideas are making their own square/ circle to use, simple sponge ball vanish, easy cups and balls routine with just the one ball penetrating the cup each time, using a key card. One I like to teach is the one where you have 4 crayons, and ask a spectator to put one behind you back. Then you turn around and tell them which one it is. Kids like that one to learn.
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
459 Posts

Profile of TKD27
James Munton's "How To Teach a Birthday Magic Class" is an excellent DVD on the subject. I highly recommend it. https://www.createspace.com/207204
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1778 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Here's what I used to present in my magic workshops for ages 8 - 12 at birthday parties and libraries:

Afghan Bands
Appearing Knot
Linking Paper Clips
Mind Reading Crayons
Coin Vanish
Coin from Dollar Bill
A Mind Reading Routine
Two Card Monte
A Card Location
Vanishing Glass

I also taught them the Finger Palm, French Drop, how to create a story-line, and a basic understanding of Misdirection. Each kid took home a set of instructions and a bag filled with props needed to do the above tricks, plus a deck of cards and a magic wand (which is utilized in making the coin vanish).

Every once in a while, a library would sneak in a 7-year-old. Which I invariably found held back the class, because of their underdeveloped motor skills and mental grasp of things. Even some of the 8 year-olds had trouble tying a knot and comprehending the paper clips effect!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I hope you don't mind me asking Arthur Stead. How long did your workshop go for to teach that many effects?

I'm interested as I sometimes teach a workshop but would struggle to teach that many effects in a short amount of time.
Magic guy in Perth Australia
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1778 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
One hour, Al.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Thanks everyone. Pulled off my first ever magi workshop with great success. Taught the children professor's nightmare, vanishing cup of water, cut and restored rope, a self working card trick where the prediction is in an envelope, and a coin vanish using a french drop. They performed yesterda for a multicultural festival.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Looks like word got out and have been asked to teach again. I will want to make classes longer though so I can teach some history as well. I believe it's important to know, as well as theory.
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
Danny,

There are numerous magic teaching courses already out there.

If your serious about this effort, and you're in this for the long haul, meaning you plan to offer these course for years to come, I would just buy several of these courses and pull the best material from each one.

Many of these guys have already done all the homework.

Gerry
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Danny,

The only thing I would question is tipping something as good as Professor's Nightmare to a group of novices.

As you know, many magicians use PN in their shows.

I would take that one out and teach them some other basic magical effect.

Gerry
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Equal/Unequal ropes (PN) is something that even Danny Orleans teaches it in , Teaching Magic To Children e-book. Plus, I've heard others teach it as well. I personally don't see a problem with it. But, thanks for the advice.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Danny,

I understand.

As much as I admire Danny Orleans, I would still say the same thing to him. I just think this particular effect is too good to expose to the general public.

This is just my personal opinion.

Thanks,

Gerry
Bob Meigs
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Bob Meigs
Hi
I, too, teach Professor's Nightmare to novices, among other tricks. I've had one complaint from a fellow magician, citing as Gerry does, that Professor's Nightmare is "too good to expose." On the other hand, a magic shop near where I perform has sold the trick for over a decade for $5, including ropes and instructions.
What is a reasonable criteria for what should or should not be taught (or "exposed")? In my opinion, if it's on YouTube, and it's been sold in magic shops (including on the Internet) for decades, it really isn't a "secret" any more. I enjoy teaching magic, kids enjoy learning it, and I see many benefits in giving them something fun to perform. On the other hand, I don't want to "pull the rug" out from under fellow entertainers.
Beyond the discussion of Professor's Nightmare per say, I'm interested in any general guidelines that Gerry or others might propose in deciding what is, or is not, appropriate material for novice classes.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Some of the magical effects listed above, like the Linking Paper Clips, Mindreading Crayon, etc., are in public domain and are found in almost every beginner's magic books and courses. These two effects were also part of David Copperfield's original Project Magic. Again, David didn't want to tip anything that was too good or borderline exposure.

So when I taught just a handful of magic courses at summer camps years back, I always sought out very basic magical effects that piqued their interest without me feeling guilty about selling out our magic fraternity.

I hear you when you say just about everything is on YouTube these days, but that doesn't mean that everyone goes searching for the secrets to Professor's Nightmare and all the really good magical effects out there today.

Gerry
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think teaching PN is seriously wrong.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Psychic Crayon.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Can you explain why. A blanket statement like that doesn't say much. I'd like to hear your reasonings for your personal opinion. Otherwise your comment is not helpful. Thanks
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2017, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
I think teaching PN is seriously wrong.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Tricks to teach kids between 8-14 (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL