The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Video Clip (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicDaveNYC
View Profile
New user
NYC
35 Posts

Profile of MagicDaveNYC
Hi everyone,
This was my 5th time out on the pitch. Each time I go out I learn something new. I'm still extremely nervous and fumbling around a lot. I know I have tons to learn. It's definitely a slow process for me...

Here is a clip from my show doing rope magic.

https://youtu.be/skSuKF6OicQ
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Well done keep going.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Magic Dave,
thanks for sharing!
It was nice to watch,...

I'm also still trying to understand,
the 'how' and 'why' of Street Performing.
If I may ask:
"Why a microphone?"
The Pitch seems so quiet and calm and un-disturbed,
to me.
The Audience seems so,..'close'.
Your voice, thru the amplification,
does not seem much 'louder' then,...
your 'natural' voice.

Just curious.

Wish you pleasent weather.
gallagher
MagicDaveNYC
View Profile
New user
NYC
35 Posts

Profile of MagicDaveNYC
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2017, gallagher wrote:
Magic Dave,
thanks for sharing!
It was nice to watch,...

I'm also still trying to understand,
the 'how' and 'why' of Street Performing.
If I may ask:
"Why a microphone?"
The Pitch seems so quiet and calm and un-disturbed,
to me.
The Audience seems so,..'close'.
Your voice, thru the amplification,
does not seem much 'louder' then,...
your 'natural' voice.

Just curious.

Wish you pleasent weather.
gallagher

ummmm.... yea the jury is still out on that. I'm not completely sold on the microphone. I'm still experimenting with all this stuff.
But it's a really small microphone system that I clip onto my belt anyway. So it's really not an issue of lugging around a heavy pa system... or something bulky and unwieldy.
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
Howdy,

Looks real good could be a bit louder.

Well on your way though.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Thanks for sharing I enjoyed watching it. Would love to see more
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Its nice and easy and has a slow yet captivating pace. Seeing the chop cup makes it clear there is more to come. If you got this far I think the best advice is to keep doing what you doing and your get there.

A few notes on things mentioned, I love working with out mic and find what I have learnt massively aids me to utilize a mic when its a option.

Also something I am working on is elevation a small step stall or box.

But liten to your video with your eyes closed. you will here Ow, wooooo, laughter and clapping!

Greta work well done
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
360 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
I work a lot on a mic. Not necessarily busking but acting as well. Believe me, when you talk all day (and I'm sure a lot of you do), your voice gets tired. Mics are designed to help amplify our voice. So using a mic at a pitch as long as it's relevant to the amount of people and level of surrounding noise keep it up. Obviously, if you're pulling 12 people, you're not cranking it to 11.

Mic's save my voice, and without my voice I'm out of a job. I don't know how many times in the span of 5 months I need to go on Vocal rest (I work 70hours a week no days off. Cruise line work!).

2 cents

Chris
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
For me learn how to get a crowd and keep them. Then buy a mic. To many starters buy a mic because it helps them to get a crowd. If you are a lousy performer a mic is not helping you. Learn to get an audience.

Opera singers d not need a mike. Learn how to use your voice.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2017, MagicDaveNYC wrote:
ummmm.... yea the jury is still out on that. I'm not completely sold on the microphone. I'm still experimenting with all this stuff.

One night after a show, a guy (who turns out to be a fellow magician) walks up to me and asks "why aren't you using a microphone, I was standing back there and couldn't hear you".

I asked him ... "so what'd you do?" ... "umm ... well I came closer" ... I said "exactly". Smile

If a guy is standing in the back and can hear everything I'm saying and see everything I'm doing, he has no incentive to come closer and join the crowd and become a part of the show ... he can just stand back there and then walk off at the end.

The mindset that you need to make as much noise as possible is false.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
MagicDaveNYC
View Profile
New user
NYC
35 Posts

Profile of MagicDaveNYC
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2017, JoeJoe wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2017, MagicDaveNYC wrote:

One night after a show, a guy (who turns out to be a fellow magician) walks up to me and asks "why aren't you using a microphone, I was standing back there and couldn't hear you".

I asked him ... "so what'd you do?" ... "umm ... well I came closer" ... I said "exactly". Smile

If a guy is standing in the back and can hear everything I'm saying and see everything I'm doing, he has no incentive to come closer and join the crowd and become a part of the show ... he can just stand back there and then walk off at the end.

The mindset that you need to make as much noise as possible is false.

-JoeJoe

JoeJoe that's a good point!
I'll hit the pitch again this coming Sunday... I'm going without the amp. I'm incorporating some loud yelling into the show - which won't play well with the microphone anyway... so yea...
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
The whole amp thing is a double edged sword....on one hand I hate...on the other hand, there are times I need one to survive.

Since this is a busker forum....then, with regards to busking....hauling around a 10 kilo/20 pound amp from place to place is a huge pain literally. And I won't even start about airline hassle. If you have a car/van then OK. But if you're travelling with train, plane, bus, subway, and foot....forget it. The only one that's feasible I've found is a Roland 5W micro-amp. Plus don't forget you nee a headset and connection (wire or wireless) plus a charged battery (that sometimes does not last all day)

Working without an amp allows you to connect with the audience easier.

However with all the ambient noise, you sometimes will not be heard. And that means they won;t hear your jokes, snappy patter etc..

Plus I find, as I've gotten older, I can lose my voice, blow it much easier. And it takes ages to regain. This is not good.

So I use one where I can, simply so I can talk at a normal level and NOT yell.

However the ability to perform without an amp, I think, is absolutely necessary.

Usually I start my show without one, and when the crowd reaches a certain level, I click in.

:-)
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
360 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2017, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
For me learn how to get a crowd and keep them. Then buy a mic. To many starters buy a mic because it helps them to get a crowd. If you are a lousy performer a mic is not helping you. Learn to get an audience.

All due respect to Mr Blake because he knows his stuff, not everyone has the capacity to be an opera singer. Even as someone who is mic trained, does vocal warm ups, and knows how to project, it's still a negative impact on your voice to use it for prolonged periods. Mics help lessen that impact and allows you to go a little farther.

As for travels, I wouldn't carry around doing a huge lug of a set up either. I prefer an all in one type of deal.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
When busking I sell the idea of me as a kid growing up watching pitchmen, conmen and buskers in East London. And using the same skills. Pepoel are surprised at how loud I can be and it great excuse to get people close. I can do 4-5 shows a day (15-60 people) 6 days a week and it hold together.

However on slow days and if the voice is a little crocky I use a amp. But only for music. I play music and do endless bananas to build a crowd.

I tried this for the first time last summer and the music dose help. But I am still wondering if it worth the extra bulk and weight, also I have put of getting a mic.

from notes in my book I have noted issues with people wanting to hold back and not step forward. I have worked on this and winning the battle but feel that a mic will only give people more excuse to stand back.

Hope this helps
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, SleightlyChris wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2017, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:

All due respect to Mr Blake because he knows his stuff, not everyone has the capacity to be an opera singer. Even as someone who is mic trained, does vocal warm ups, and knows how to project, it's still a negative impact on your voice to use it for prolonged periods. Mics help lessen that impact and allows you to go a little farther.

As for travels, I wouldn't carry around doing a huge lug of a set up either. I prefer an all in one type of deal.

what I mean is that today everbody is using a mic because you get an crowd.
it is not. I know how to get an crowd whitout saying a word.
because I understand how to get an crowd. that is important.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Video Clip (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL