The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Expensive Cups vs Cheapos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ebay

I had the Rings N Things folks custom spin me a pair of cups out of heavy polished aluminum for the Ramsay routine (with the tops inset like the ice cream cups).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
As a kid starting out, using "thermos tops" may be something that you can get by with, but an adult professional?

Perhaps if your charactor was one who "found neat things" in other people's trash or discovered new ways to use "ordinary objects," but I think most of our audiences want to see a professional using professional tools. Ramsey was a grocer who did a little magic on the side, extreamly well. Of course you can use natural props, coins, thread, handkerchiefs, but they should be clean and in good repair and of high quality rather than the cheapest you can find. Polished shoes always make a good impression.

Kirk G
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Advice we were always given as regards to sport/equipment and music /instruments........so I suppose it applies to magic/props

Get the best you can afford.

Howard
wisdom
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of wisdom
I see that there are disciples of old Wilfrid Jonson here. He may not turn in his grave after all.

Yet for impromptu use I still suspect that paper cups may just be the way to go. Gut feeling tells me that they will be less prone to suspicion.

I have been using real cups for years and it goes over great. I still have this nagging feeling about the Ice Cream cups, though. The psychology is better.

I might try it when nobody from this forum is looking. If you catch me doing it though, don't tell Wilfrid. Some of you may be psychic mediums visiting from the mentalism category.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Wisdom,

Don't let your name go to your head! (Sorry I couldn't resist) Smile

Seriously, while I would agree that if you wanted to give the impression of impromptu magic, the paper cup would be the way to go, I still feel the quality of the performance would be diminished by the use of the inferior cups. As such, I would elect to do a stronger, different routine in an impromptu situation and save the cups for the show that can support it.

I would lean toward a chop cup routine or paper ball under a hat for the venue in question.

Just a thought.

Kirk G
bwalder
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX
46 Posts

Profile of bwalder
Quote:
On 2004-04-12 00:31, Jkta99 wrote:
So for a middle range set of cups where would one go to get some for around $40-$50?

I have collected quite a number of sets of cups now - some I own just because I like to own them (some have "historic" value, others are just beautiful) and others I actually use.

My favourites are the Sherwood cups, and despite their value, this is the set I use most often because they are perfectly sized and weighted for my hands, and yet are well-designed enough to allow me to have three balls sitting in the "attic" if I so choose.

However, another set of cups that I enjoy using almost as much is the copper set from Bazaar de Magica (sp?). These can be found from most dealers, from the company itself or on eBay almost every day for around the $40-$50 mark.

If you want a nice set of cups that handle well and look good for a VERY reasonable price, then you won't go far wrong with those

Bob
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-04-11 19:37, wmhegbli wrote:
Astinus,

And yet in another string you are ordering very expensive gimmick custom coin tricks.

I think it is your value system, not the cups.

Not too expensive at all actually. Only about 80 dollars. Not bad all for the silver sets I need.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
I had those cheap aluminum cups for a while and I just avoided doing the cups and balls. It wasn't until I bought a set of Bosco cups (on the recommendation of Bill Palmer) that I figured out why I didn't do it more.

Those cups were awful. The weight alone of the Bosco cups was worth paying for. The aluminum cups really talked but the heavier copper ones were so much quieter that minimal noise in the hall I was in covered my novice skills.

They're really great when you 'pass' one cup through another. The sound really attracts an audience.

Deerbourne
cardman1990
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of cardman1990
Some people got that money to throw around, and if you preform the routine often its worth investing. Also some moves require the heavier weight of the cups.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Buy a set that gets you excited about the routine and makes you want to use them. Cups you think are beautiful; ones you can't keep your hands off.

If none do that for you, then use a cheapo set until something tugs at your wallet.

Not knowing better, I bought the ultra-cheapo Morrisey combo set that doesn't even have a depression on the top of the cup. The mag*** fell out, they suck, and I gave them to a co-worker. I don't even want to remember that I bought them.

My recommendation is to work with paper cups or whatever until you both want and can afford a descent set. Descent sets start around $100.
Research and ask lots of questions before you buy.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
angeloturn
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of angeloturn
I expect that the cups are like tools. You buy the very best you can afford and when you "outgrow" them you buy another. I can say I like the feel of well made things. I expect that Cups are no exception. If it feels good in your hand you will always want to pick them up and use them.
Leave no wood unturned.....A
microastro
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of microastro
I think a good slightly heavy cup is good. Unless you want to impress some magicians that you own one of the expensive ones..
microastro
Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Profile of Magictrickster
I have a set of Johnson Cups and a cheap set of Morrisey ones in Aluminium, and there's just no comparison.

The extra weight of the Johnson ones make them so much easier to use and carry out some of the moves. I agree they are expensive, especially if you're more a hobbyist magician, but if you can afford a decent set they are well worth it.

(I also has a set of Jedinat Cups which are about 2 thirds the price of Johnson cups and they just weren't for me, although I'm sure some people think they are fine).

I must learn to perform the effect better though.

Best wishes,

Brian.
Brian
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Having nice cups and nice props is great. But the effect can be done with plant pots. Go to a plant store and see what you can find that hold potted plants.

It can be done with tea cups... Coffie cups. Or three glasses covered with rolled up newspaper - like malini used to do. Look in the stars of magic and note the Vernon/Malini impromptu cups and balls.

That is what is so great about the cups and balls. If it is done well it is a great magic effect no matter what props you use...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
I just got a set of what might be considered 'expensive' cups -- why ?
A comfortable weight, a more classy look, and I wanted to have some *size* for my final loads -- bing cherries, olives or strawberries are just about all I fit comfortably under my morrisey combo set which has now been relegated to retirement.

Since I am going to have these cups for YEARS, I figured, why not spend the extra bucks and get something I will really WANT to use?
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
Fitzy
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
14 Posts

Profile of Fitzy
I don't think $400 cups make the magic any better than my $12 cups
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It's all perception. If it works for you, great! There's a place for routines where "He even fooled me with cheap plastic cups! He must be good!"

I drive a '69 VW beetle. That doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy a BMW 760i if I had the chance. If I had to drive big money investors around town, I certainly wouldn't do it in my bug. There's a place for each, and you know your place better than we do.

I personally use a $50 set of Bertram/Miller cups. They work fine for me for outdoor Ren Faire use as they look the part better than a higher quality cup, but if I had a big corporate event where I'd have to wear a suit and tie, I'd probably at least buy a set of "Animal" cups for around $200. Considering the audience, it would be a smart investment for me and pay me back ten fold in future bookings.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I have and use the same cups as Dave VanVranken. I got two sets of them at Magic Inc years ago. I have a few other sets but these cups are my workers... And they work well...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-05-30 04:31, Dave VanVranken wrote:
I personally use a $50 set of Bertram/Miller cups. They work fine for me for outdoor Ren Faire use as they look the part better than a higher quality cup, but if I had a big corporate event where I'd have to wear a suit and tie, I'd probably at least buy a set of "Animal" cups for around $200. Considering the audience, it would be a smart investment for me and pay me back ten fold in future bookings.

Those Bertram/Miller cups would set you back more than $50 nowadays, though. They are really good cups for Renaissance Faire work. With the exception of having a shoulder bead, they are as close to the cups in Hocus Pocus Junior as anything else around. Johnny Ace Palmer uses this basic type of cup for all his shows -- or at least he was doing so a few years ago. He polishes his cups before every show.

These are a classic cup, and you really can't go wrong with them.

Yours have acquired a nice patina like my Miller set.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Bill,
I think Johnny Ace Palmer uses a set of Gazzo cups now. But not the newer Gazzo's with the wider bottom to fit three balls, but the first run Gazzo's that would only hold one ball in the attic.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Expensive Cups vs Cheapos (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL