The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Expensive Cups vs Cheapos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Last weeks run of copper wire at 142.95 was a bargain. I was in the dealers today picking up some brass screws, the same run of wire that was 142.95 last week now costs 179.88. This is getting stupid <LOL>

Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
And the situation is only exacerbated by the scrap metal buyers -- there's one here in Houston who advertises -- "Hey! Electricians, bring your wire in here and we'll strip it free!"

I'm sure all of those "electricians" bring in lots of scrap wire. I get a little suspicious of scrap wire in boxes or on cable reels.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-04-11 21:07, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Not sure how to approach this one...

Sure, as a Ramsay student I can vouch for the trick working with the 4 oz ice cream cups. Paint them silver if you really want to.

However, as the working pros have pointed out, the LOOK and FEEL of your work is affected by the look and feel of your props. Though the clothes don't make the man, in some cases the clothes to serve as an admission ticket to be among those with the means to reward your efforts.

Three factors to take into account regarding props..
0) Pertinent to your audience
1) Congruent to your character
2) Appropriate to your venue

The inexpensive aluminum cups can easily be passed off as thermos tops if you so choose. The caliber of your routining will speak more generally to the success of your performance than more expensive cups.

Y'know, I was using three blue plastic cups from a party supply store. (Dixie cups are nice, but they don't have the space at the top to hide the balls) My wife picked me up a set of aluminum cups for $10.00 and I felt the routine (Mark Wilson's 'Cyclopedia of Magic) flow better. Would it flow even better with $40.00 copper cups (or the $450 gold and silver plated ones I saw in Genii)? Possibly, but I have to think of the law of diminishing returns. I can't justify $40 (or more) for cups when I don't really make anything at magic. If I was making top dollar (or even middle-range dollar) then I could justify the investment.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is possibly true. But even a set of Uday copper or brass cups, which sell for about $20 would have a better feel to them than a set of aluminum cups, unless the aluminum cups had really thick metal in them. The extra weight really helps.

In a way, it's a lot like playing a musical instrument. A beginning guitar player doesn't need a Martin D-45. But there is a certain minimum guitar that is necessary just to be able to play in tune, and to fret the strings with ease.

After a certain price point on guitars, much of what you are paying for is decoration and features, many of which do not contribute noticeably to the sound.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Before I'd read enough here, I bought some cheap aluminum cups that came with pom poms for balls. I've been practicing with them, but I wanted real balls instead of the pom poms. I knew the cups wouldn't even hold 1 inch balls, but the pom poms seemed to be between 3/4 inch and 1 inch, so I ordered 3/4 inch crochet balls.

As soon as the mail arrived, I got out my cups. Well. . . these cups won't stack with 3/4 inch balls! Now I have a set of balls and a set of cups, but I'm still out of luck.

My wife has a book, "The Illustrated Book of Needlecrafts," from Good Housekeeping, Sterling Publishing, NY, 1994, that has instructions for both knitted and crocheted buttons. She's going to try making me some balls, but I really do need bigger cups.

I hope to get this worked out without ending up with a collection the size of Bill's.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The difference is that pom poms crush. You can get crocheted buttons and beads through various internet sites.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I once saw some balls that had been crocheted around sponge rubber. I almost bought them but couldn't think of a use. Sorry.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
These are usually pretty big.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
CJ... Uh, go to a real live magic store and look at the cups and balls.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Sometimes the amount of time and effort expended in making a solution can be more than the cost of doing it right the first time.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 17:48, Pete Biro wrote:

I know, I know. The real, live magic store around here closed twenty years ago and it wasn't a really great one at any rate. I'm not far from Boston, but I sent Hank Lee the orders without driving up there myself.

(Oh, and Pete, I bought the Ken Brooke and Friends Egg Bag Routine, too, although I don't have a Malini style bag yet.)

And, yes, Bill, I know it's best to do it right the first time, but as others have said, sometimes budget does come into it. I've got a wife, a daughter and a guinea pig to feed. I figured the twenty dollar cups would get me going. (On a positive note, they did show me that I can perform cups and balls and that I want to continue working on this particular effect.)

Since, I'm working on a historical presentation, I'd really like some traditional cups, but the ones I've seen advertised are just more than I can spend right now unless I cut the guinea pig's lettuce ration. . .
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Good, inexpensive traditional cups are hard to find. But they surface from time to time.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Are there any cheap cups that are reasonably heavy?

Fortasse
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
No, not really. The closest thing would be the Phoenix cups when they come up on eBay.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 21:03, CJRichard wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 17:48, Pete Biro wrote:

I know, I know. The real, live magic store around here closed twenty years ago and it wasn't a really great one at any rate. I'm not far from Boston, but I sent Hank Lee the orders without driving up there myself.

I will never send Hank Lee's an order without looking at the stuff first! I still remember "Patrick's Hat Trick" and "The Multiplying Oreo Cookie" (Don't get me started on "After The Dessert")
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's one of the best arguments in favor of going to conventions. You can see so much at the dealers room.

I know conventions are expensive. But if you get an education from a trip or two through the dealers' room, think how much you save.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Do any of these conventions hold any attraction for collectors of cups and balls? If so, does the pricing generally tend to be higher or lower than at the internet auctions (excluding the recent bizzare results with the Ross Bertram cups, of course)?

Fortasse
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-07-13 19:14, Bill Palmer wrote:
That's one of the best arguments in favor of going to conventions. You can see so much at the dealers room.

I know conventions are expensive. But if you get an education from a trip or two through the dealers' room, think how much you save.

I have never been to a convention. I am just a poor boy ('though my story's seldom told.)

I have plans to attend a convention in New Jersey in November... but I'm not holding my breath that they're going to work out! Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I've had pretty good luck at conventions. You may run into a bargain or two, but the most important thing you will do is make contacts. Some of my best suppliers are guys I met at conventions.

It's face-to-face networking.

The Laurie Ireland Copper Commemorative cups may not have ever existed if I had not gone to an MCA convention. And even with as many cups as I have, I always manage to find something I don't have. This includes IBM conventions and TAOM conventions as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Expensive Cups vs Cheapos (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL