The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Quantum Angel by Paul Harris (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Hi Dr John

Q angel has a completely new method that lets spec call out any name
or word during performance..with no pre-show/pre-set. It's a real time
Live Any word prediction.

Joy yet again

Janet Harris
blurrylines
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of blurrylines
I watched the instruction video today and it's barely watchable. These are the most choppy, disjointed, confusing, and unorganized instructions I have ever seen for any magic product; definitely not up to the quality standards of a PH product. These "instructions" are absolutely terrible. I've seen Chris and Brandon do much better work. It seems like they filmed these sporadically over a few weeks then tried to cobble everything together in a coherent video that is difficult to learn from. Instead of the massive hours they spent editing this catastrophe, they should have just re-shot it. Continuous illogical cuts, and camera jumping around, Chris and Brandon edit each other mid-sentence, one person's explanation will "sort of" complete another person's explanation. It's an absolute mess.

I'm disappointed.

If you can make sense out of these crazy instructional videos, the effect seems to go over well. I wish they spent as much time on the instructions as they did on the promo trailer. I'm surprised this passed the quality assurance department, they must have slipped this by while someone was on vacation.
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1076 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2017, blurrylines wrote:
I watched the instruction video today and it's barely watchable. These are the most choppy, disjointed, confusing, and unorganized instructions I have ever seen for any magic product; definitely not up to the quality standards of a PH product. These "instructions" are absolutely terrible. I've seen Chris and Brandon do much better work. It seems like they filmed these sporadically over a few weeks then tried to cobble everything together in a coherent video that is difficult to learn from. Instead of the massive hours they spent editing this catastrophe, they should have just re-shot it. Continuous illogical cuts, and camera jumping around, Chris and Brandon edit each other mid-sentence, one person's explanation will "sort of" complete another person's explanation. It's an absolute mess.

I'm disappointed.

If you can make sense out of these crazy instructional videos, the effect seems to go over well. I wish they spent as much time on the instructions as they did on the promo trailer. I'm surprised this passed the quality assurance department, they must have slipped this by while someone was on vacation.


I completely agree. It's not a difficult effect to learn though.

The method is quite clever, but I can see these packet of cards wearing out from constant riffling and getting dirty over time.

My set of cards has some color discrepancies as I riffle through the cards. Some are brighter or duller than others. The back colors are not consistent.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1732 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2017, itsmagic wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2017, blurrylines wrote:
I watched the instruction video today and it's barely watchable. These are the most choppy, disjointed, confusing, and unorganized instructions I have ever seen for any magic product; definitely not up to the quality standards of a PH product. These "instructions" are absolutely terrible. I've seen Chris and Brandon do much better work. It seems like they filmed these sporadically over a few weeks then tried to cobble everything together in a coherent video that is difficult to learn from. Instead of the massive hours they spent editing this catastrophe, they should have just re-shot it. Continuous illogical cuts, and camera jumping around, Chris and Brandon edit each other mid-sentence, one person's explanation will "sort of" complete another person's explanation. It's an absolute mess.

I'm disappointed.

If you can make sense out of these crazy instructional videos, the effect seems to go over well. I wish they spent as much time on the instructions as they did on the promo trailer. I'm surprised this passed the quality assurance department, they must have slipped this by while someone was on vacation.


I completely agree. It's not a difficult effect to learn though.

The method is quite clever, but I can see these packet of cards wearing out from constant riffling and getting dirty over time.

My set of cards has some color discrepancies as I riffle through the cards. Some are brighter or duller than others. The back colors are not consistent.



My pack is very discolored but I just tell them to concentrate on the Angel.
Thinking of picking another set up as its a great trick.
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
Can't believe I only have
416 Posts

Profile of MitchC
Thoughts:

I began to modify my Sharpie, then thought, hmmm... have to hide the tip when cap comes off anyway so I just put a black cap on a red Sharpie. Done. Easy.

YES, video tutorial is not close to being up to PH standards IMO. Very choppy, BAD editing, some out of sequence shots etc. You DO get the gist of all aspects of props and performance, but just not what I come to expect from PH marketed items.

YES, over time (a short period depending on useage) the cards are going to wear out relatively fast with all the flipping / bending I'm guessing.

Did this for my wife. When I asked for the name she was 'thinking' of, she asked, 'TELL YOU ? Aren't YOU suppose to tell me ?"

My (devalued) 2 cents.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
PH , any chance your will offer a refill set ? Just the cards . I can foresee myself using it a lot since this is quite a beautiful effect . But worry the cards will spoil fast ...
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
Can't believe I only have
416 Posts

Profile of MitchC
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2017, Legendary Wizard wrote:
PH , any chance your will offer a refill set ? Just the cards . I can foresee myself using it a lot since this is quite a beautiful effect . But worry the cards will spoil fast ...


According to the tutorial video, refill kits WILL be available of all items EXCEPT the cards. This may change, but Bicycle no longer printing gaffed back designs, so they are limited to their inventory on hand. When the cards are gone, no more to be available.

If that's not correct I'm sure Janet or someone will chime in.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5229 Posts

Profile of videoman
The special cards required are apparently very limited so I doubt they will be offered as a refill.
Perhaps if the effect becomes popular enough they will remake them with a different back such as Maiden or Mandolin.
I believe those could be used and still retain the same basic effect.
It is nice that in it's current form you can replace the regular cards with any standard rider backs.
makulit974
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of makulit974
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2017, MitchC wrote:
Did this for my wife. When I asked for the name she was 'thinking' of, she asked, 'TELL YOU ? Aren't YOU suppose to tell me ?"

My (devalued) 2 cents.


Hi Mitch,
I think that there should be no emphasis on the name. The spectator should not see it as important. The important part is the card prediction. Smart spectators like your wife will challenge you to guess the name only if they think it is an important part of the "trick".
A good alternative to cancel this would be a peek. This is my preferred method because it adds a layer of impossibility...

Patrick
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
Can't believe I only have
416 Posts

Profile of MitchC
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2017, makulit974 wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2017, MitchC wrote:
Did this for my wife. When I asked for the name she was 'thinking' of, she asked, 'TELL YOU ? Aren't YOU suppose to tell me ?"

My (devalued) 2 cents.


Hi Mitch,
I think that there should be no emphasis on the name. The spectator should not see it as important. The important part is the card prediction. Smart spectators like your wife will challenge you to guess the name only if they think it is an important part of the "trick".
A good alternative to cancel this would be a peek. This is my preferred method because it adds a layer of impossibility...

Patrick


Patrick, to be fair, my wife has been the guinea pig of ALL my magic for years, so she may not be a very good example of 'normal' spectator reaction.

A 'peek' would definitely be preferred, but then she'd need to write the name down... I'll stick with the presentation as provided and go do this on several lay persons, then re-assess the name prediction portion (which is the better than the card prediction IMO)
makulit974
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of makulit974
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2017, MitchC wrote:
I'll stick with the presentation as provided and go do this on several lay persons, then re-assess the name prediction portion (which is the better than the card prediction IMO)


Yes you need to try it a few times. But I didn't say that the card prediction is better. Of course the name is stronger, especially if they don't expect it. THat's why playing down the name is better. Then I agree, the presentation without the peek makes more sense. If you ask to write it down, it becomes important, then more expected (less impressive) upon final reveal. Something to think about.
I'd like to use the peek while at the same time make it sound lie the name is not so important without having to say it.

P
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
Can't believe I only have
416 Posts

Profile of MitchC
Firstly, I have a feeling the original presentation is going to be the best.

That said.. got to thinking about the 'peek' aspect. What if I combine the Steam 2.0 to obtain the name, then using the pen, card or envelope, use them to get the name, then write BOTH the force card (on the card/envelope) and the name (in the small window) using the Steam pen ?

I tend to overthink things at times and this may drag the effect out too long and turn a whimsical (but magical) thing into a more 'serious', drawn out thing ?

I'll give it a shot 1 or 2 times to see if it adds or detracts from the Quantum effect.
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Hi All

Note that it's best that you never ask the spectator to
Think of a name..as that now puts attention to the name as being " the magic target"..plus opens you up to them challenging you to read their mind.
Instead..simply
Ask the spectator to mention the name of a special person they care about..and that this next special thing you
Share will be in their honor. This way no one challenges you on the name and it isn't the focus of the effect.

Re the cards wearing out. Our Pro PHP testers Chris and Brandan used the same cards for about two hundred performances
Each and are still going strong. Yes..after many performances the cards start looking well used and fluffed out of shape from all the riffling..
But the effect keeps on working fine..

In the presentation you say " this is a "special antique hand made set of cards that are engineered to do a very weird thing"
So now when the special cards begin to look worn and well used..it seems normal and authentic looking that these are a very old collectors
Item that has been beat up a bit over the many years since it was first created.

Hope that helps

janet Harris
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Another review:


BEST PAUL Harris PACKAGE YET!Report this review
Verified buyer Pro Privacy ON (login to see reviewer names) on July 23rd, 2017
(This review is for Quantum Angel by Paul Harris)
I sat on this thinking if I should get it or not as some of Paul Harris latest products haven't been what I and most expected. However this time I am an extremely Happy magician 🎩, watched the video and I am in heaven , this is an absolute masterpiece package that you get. For a moment, forget about all of the details that they provide here. What you will be receiving is not only the ability to do the things that you have read but you will be receiving a kit filled with tons of variations different ways to do it however you like, so much customization that really makes this a utility device that can be used with many endless things.

Whoever is thinking of getting this buy it NOW before the word is spread and sold out because it will! You will always be able to create something that works for you. This will work with so many different effects and tricks that you already have my list is so long of things I have in mind like a Mental Pen, CIPHER etc.. Quantum Angel Is not just what you see in the trailer. once you get everything that you receive in the package you will understand. The trailer is not cut up and edited that is how it is if that is the way you want to do it. They even go the extra mile to explain how to fix things if something were to come apart but everything was made so well that this will last you alifetime if you take care of it. You really don't need refills, you are set with a lot of stuff and unless you really want to have those gold papers forever then you can get refills but you can use anything that fits and just get paper at a craft store. However, you're not gonna need to do that for quite a while as they store you with two different forms of papers in addition to other versatile accessories & included gimmicks upon your preference for how you want to perform this. I honestly don't even think I'm going to use this as a card trick, this really is a utility package and the possibilities are endless. Order this and order a mental pen you'll see exactly what I mean. They teach you how to properly store everything and cover every base you could think of in the video about an hour long. The only thing I will say lastly is that this is the thickest Paul Harris envelope that I have ever received. That should speak volumes.

If you love cards, mentalism oh and with a brilliant touch of animation, add this to your cart 🛒! enjoy 😊
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
Can't believe I only have
416 Posts

Profile of MitchC
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2017, PHSIS wrote:
Hi All

Note that it's best that you never ask the spectator to
Think of a name..as that now puts attention to the name as being " the magic target"..plus opens you up to them challenging you to read their mind.
Instead..simply
Ask the spectator to mention the name of a special person they care about..and that this next special thing you
Share will be in their honor. This way no one challenges you on the name and it isn't the focus of the effect.



Thanks for chiming in Janet. Much appreciate it.

The way you describe 'mention the name of a special person' is BETTER (getting the name right outta the gate), but it's NOT what is discussed on the tutorial. They ask them to think of the special person. Then performer goes on to predict the card that 'special person' might select. Then they ASK for the name (time lag).

So I wish your presentation tip was what was taught on the DVD. Maybe YOU should script these presentations from now on eh ?

Thanks !
Mitch
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Whoops..looks like this one got past us on the tutorial. that's what it was always supposed to be and
Was Paul's original presentation. Haven't checked lately
But also recall that this correct presentation is how it's shown
In the complete performance on the demo.

Also..think it's fine at the end..just before the name reveal..to ask
For the name out loud (so that everyone knows it before the reveal).
At that point if some says "you tell me"..just have them read the note.

always something

Janet
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
922 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2017, PHSIS wrote:


always something

Janet


Amen.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
Can't believe I only have
416 Posts

Profile of MitchC
Quote:
Also..think it's fine at the end..just before the name reveal..to ask
For the name out loud (so that everyone knows it before the reveal).
At that point if some says "you tell me"..just have them read the note.
Janet


But we need to ask them the name, then have time to write it in the window, do the animation etc.

SO... your tip on getting the name said right up front (Paul's original idea) is what I'll do from now on.

OK, enough outta me. I LOVE the effect, props etc. Wish the DVD was as well produced as the rest of the package.
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Edit button vanishes after a short time. Don't worry about it.

J
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5229 Posts

Profile of videoman
I typically lean towards adding layers of impossibility but in this case I have the same concerns about detracting from the cute, whimsical and magical effect by adding a peek of some sort.

I just have the spec truly try to visualize the person they are thinking of and then ask off-handedly "by the way what is their name?"
Then I usually also ask if they know the year they were born. If they do I can add that info or not at my discretion.
I think the important thing is to play it off as if this info will help you determine what card they will select, and make it seem like it's not important to the effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Quantum Angel by Paul Harris (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL