We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tricks?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
The other day I was hired to do close-up at a dinner party. The evening was a success, all the effects went well & got great reactions BUT as I was leaving one of the ladies present said "Thanks, I liked your tricks" Of course I Thanked her but inside I was screaming...TRICKS? YOU LIKED MY TRICKS? WHICH ONE? FETCH OR ROLL OVER!!#*%@%$* Now I know she had the best of intentions but to me it was nails on a chalk board. Is this just me or does anyone else hate this term?
Alan Gold
View Profile
Regular user
Key West, FL
149 Posts

Profile of Alan Gold
Um, Daryl....we're magicians. We do tricks.

The only time I hate this term is when someone makes a comment implying the OTHER kind of trick. And I tell them, "I turn cards, I do tricks...I DON'T turn tricks."

:)

Alan
Remember: Al G. is just another way to say pond scum.
Justin Craddock
View Profile
Regular user
buffalo,ny
127 Posts

Profile of Justin Craddock
Alan, laymen or beginners do tricks, magicians do magic.
"When a performance is over, What remains"
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4856 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Daryl,
Ideally, we would prefer that our spectators tell us after a performance that our magic was masterful and what an artistic triumph they witnessed. They of course may think of them as just tricks, whether you perform them or Tommy Wonder performs them. It's the nature of the business. Don't take it personally.
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
436 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I hate a term even worse.I do an adult kids show mixed crowd and then have one of the adults come up and say,
"You were great,the kids just loved you."
I want to say and what did you think.Maybe when kids are at a show they think the magic is for the kids so they don't want to act like they had fun.
Shawn D
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
I don't care what they call what I did as long as they had fun and I had fun.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1103 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I remember David Copperfield saying that he's not a magician, but rather an illusionist. However, how many laymen refer to him that way? None. Certain terms are ingrained in the language of the culture. Unless we make a campaign to erase the term "trick" from the working vocabulary of the average layman, it will be used. I don't like it either, but I don't let it bother me because I realize that spectators don't know enough about magic to say, "Wow, your patter was great and your prestidigitation was superb!"
Alan Gold
View Profile
Regular user
Key West, FL
149 Posts

Profile of Alan Gold
Quote:
On 2004-04-09 12:40, Justin Craddock wrote:
Alan, laymen or begginners do tricks, magicians do magic.

Justin,

That well may be so, but that is besides the point. You may call it magic, but I will tell you right now, when a mom of four comes up to me afterwards and says to me, "Thanks, Alan....your tricks absolutely blew my kids away, and you made our night!" I am going to thank her and smile. Period. End of story. Because, my friend, while she is calling them tricks, she is thinking of what a magical time her family just had.

"A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet." --William Shakespeare.

:)

Alan
Remember: Al G. is just another way to say pond scum.
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
What do you want them to say? You can't expect everyone to believe in magic. Do you believe that what you were doing was magic and not tricks? Sure it is nice when people think it is magic but I'm not going to get mad because I wasn't able to TRICK someone into thinking that it is not a TRICK. So basically, you are getting mad because you weren't able to TRICK them into thinking something that didn't happen happened? Smile
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Laypeople are always going to say tricks. Magicians may not like the term, but that's what everyone says. They may not mean it that way, but it's just standard word to use when a magician performs.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
You can't expect everyone to believe in magic. Do you believe that what you were doing was magic and not tricks? Sure it is nice when people think it is magic but I'm not going to get mad because I wasn't able to TRICK someone into thinking that it is not a TRICK. So basically, you are getting mad because you weren't able to TRICK them into thinking something that didn't happen happened? :s

No Shawn, I do not believe people are naive enough to believe what we do is real. I never said that. I simply stated that boiling down the research, practice, routineing, rehearsal, reroutineing, more practice ...etc, into the words "nice trick" is such an understatment of what we do.

Of course I don't expect my audience to know that and as I stated in my post, I know they are paying me a compliment. Its more a personal thing than anything else. What would I like them to say? Nice job, here's your check.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tricks?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL