We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Need Advice: School for Scoundrels shells vs. La Maggiore shells (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Avery
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
10 Posts

Profile of Avery
I got a set of Magic Makers gold plated shells with the Sal Piacente DVD's.
I was very disappointed that you need a close up pad to work well with these shells.
So now I am looking to buy a new (street version) set that does work on hard surface.

After reading the posts here at 'The Magic Café, I've noticed that the two 'serious' shell sets that most people use are the School for Scoundrels shells and La Maggiore shells.

Considering the street shell versions of both brands:
What's the difference between the two? Is one better than the other, or is it just a matter of personal preference? Can both be used on a hard surface?
martinkey
View Profile
Regular user
Tadmarton, Oxon, UK
129 Posts

Profile of martinkey
They both work well on a hard surface particularly with the School for Scoundrels' Perfect Pea which is supplied with both. The SFS shells are smaller and lighter in colour. Both can be altered with a bit of sanding if required and the colour can also be altered if you are very fussy. The so-called Chanin Dip is a little bit more pronounced on the SFS shells. I have both and love them equally. The advent of the Perfect Pea has made the main difference in the use of hard surfaces (in my opinion, that is).
Martin Key
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13339 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
From what I've seen the LM shells look much better.

They are larger and I hear that they work better with the shot glass piece.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
The LM shells are much nicer in my opinion. The colour is darker and they are larger. They are just much nicer to use.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I like doing the shellgame routine on a close up mat because I know it is a clean place to do it. If your working restaurants the table can be a mess because people eat off the table. And often if you lift a glass there will be a ring of water from the condensation...

You can do this without the mat like a con man in the streets but I feel that I am a magician and the close up mat is my performing stage.

Others do it their way and that is fine because we all have our own way of doing things. And that is one of the things that makes magic so interesting.

Glenn Bishop
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Paulbmx12345
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Paulbmx12345
I'd get the street shells cause they are cheaper
" Why, Mr. Anderson, why? Why, why do you do it? Why, why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something, for more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is, do you even know? Is it freedom or truth, perhaps peace - could it
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Paul,
I take it that you found the topic about shells then?

Howard.

Looks like the cheapest place to get them is Hocus-pocus $42.95 as a member
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2613 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I love the LM shells. They are styled after the larger Italian walnut shells. Even with my small hands they are very easy to handle. Even much more so than the real shells I was making. I will be honest and say I have never handled the SfS shells, but I'm very happy with the LM shells so have no need to.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Tom,
I have just watched Glenn Bishop using them on his video clip. They look unusually large to me. Don't specs ask what they are? Or maybe we just aren't used to seeing large walnuts in the UK.

Howard
Avery
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
10 Posts

Profile of Avery
Quote:
Paulbmx12345 wrote:
I'd get the street shells cause they are cheaper

I learned my lessons about getting the cheaper version Smile

I have the same question as posted earlier: Don't they look unnaturally big, considering how small the pea is?
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Avery,
I don't think "cheaper" infers inferior in this case. It would appear that the Chanin "feature" is more prominent in the case of the Street Shells and I wouldn't want to start having to sand a set I'd just shelled out(pun intended!)$70 for .
Howard
Avery
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
10 Posts

Profile of Avery
I agree with you Howard.
I meant that money will not be the deciding factor this time.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
There is no Chanin Dip in the La Maggiore shells. They are a very nice set of shells, but they are not designed to be used on a hard surface. The Chanin Dip would be very hard to sand onto the La Maggiore shells, as that would require cutting away about a fifth of the back of the shells.

The Chanin Dip should not be confused with the stem or "twig" opening at the back of the shell. The Chanin Dip requires a curved surface all along the bottom of the shell, from front to back, so that the shell appears to be lying flat, but actually will rock slightly from front to back like a rocking chair. This movement is one of the things that gives the Street Shells their smooth action, and makes working on a glass or marble surface possible.

Sanding just a little too much in one direction would make the point of the shell stick up in the air. In order to make the right angle, without sanding off the point of the shell at the front, while leaving the shell resting flat, you need to sand off the back of the shell, and re-carve the "twig" support. It would be an expensive learning experience to replicate this on the La Maggiore Shells.

With a lot of practice, one can learn to use the La Maggiore Shells on a hard surface. It takes a light touch. This is made possible because the School for Scoundrels Perfect Pea is also used in the La Maggiore Set. They are a good set of shells as they are, and I would not risk damaging them to add a feature that you might not even need to make them work on a hard surface. Just spend a few weeks of practice working on a bar or coffee table and you should be fine.

The Street Shells and Perfect Pea were designed for the table hopper. They were meant to work on any surface, to be small enough to carry in the side coat pocket without bulging out, and are designed with features to make control of the shell and pea optimal in the fancier moves of the shells--such as the roll-flash, the turnovers, and three-in-one hand.

I prefer the street shells to anything else, however, it depends completely on your needs. If you are using a mat and have big hands, for example, the La Maggiore Shells would be the best. Everything depends on your needs and working conditions.

We think it is great that there are finally numbers of really fine sets of shells available.
martinkey
View Profile
Regular user
Tadmarton, Oxon, UK
129 Posts

Profile of martinkey
Thanks Whit for correcting me on the Chanin Dip. I use both the LM and SFS shells on a hard surface but did find that I needed a different touch with the LM shells. Now I know why. I also found that doing the moves quickly (like Sal Piacente in his dvd) helped with the LM shells. I have not sanded my shells and, thanks to Whit, I do not intend to try.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Yes thanks Whit for that.
By the way..you don't appear to have sorted the web site problem re getting in to it? I'm still having to gain entry by Proxy.

cheer
Howard
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2613 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Howard,
I don't think the shells are all that much bigger, but compared to the standard jumbo California shells you buy in the grocery, the Italian shells are bigger.
I believe I read in another post by Glenn that he actually was using Vernet shells in that video. I have a set of those somewhere, not very good.
martinkey
View Profile
Regular user
Tadmarton, Oxon, UK
129 Posts

Profile of martinkey
Following Whit's comments I looked again at the leaflet which accompanied the LM shells. In it Andrew does say that "If you prefer a deeper dip, simply sand the shell to your required depth...If you prefer Chanin's preparation of the shells...you can easily put in the work yourself." However, I felt nervous about doing this so probably the best advice is, if you want the Chanin Dip buy the SFS shells.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13339 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Well, it's nice to see this in magic.

I've now heard (seen) nice things about the LM shells from Whit and I've heard Andrew say nice things about the SFS shells.

I'm impressed.

Now I need a routine. I watched Kohler's routine and I don't think it's for me. I will obviously come up with my own but what else is out there to refer to?
Does Garry Ouelett have something published?
I have his book but I don't remember seeing anything in there with shells (glancing over to the bookshelf).

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
Check out Bob Sheets' tape. It has some moves on it that fooled me very badly. He has a great out if they guess the right shell and an 'in the hand of the spectator' finish. Gary Ouellet does have his Super Shells routine somewhere in print as well as in his very best series. It's good but I think the Sheets tape has some better handling on it.
martinkey
View Profile
Regular user
Tadmarton, Oxon, UK
129 Posts

Profile of martinkey
Some resources are:
Books and manuscripts: Super Shells (Gary Ouelett), The Three Shell Game (Tom Osborne), The Shell Game (edited by Ralph Read - I think this is the same book as the Osborne one), The Shell Game (Harrison Carrol), Diversions for the Shell and Pea Game (Dusty Johnson), Close-Up Tutorial The Shell Game (Bob King), Hello Sucker (Jack Chanin), All in a Nutshell (Frank Garcia). Videos/dvds The Three Shell Game (Sal Piacente), Bob Sheets (Absolutely Nuts), Bob Kohler (Golden Shells), Best of Gary Ouelett Vol 3 (contains his Super Shells routine), The Phil Cass Video. For a very good routine for free, look at Glenn Bishop's website http://www.mrhypnotist.org. Whit Hayden, Andrew Pinard and Glenn Bishop are all bringing out dvds on the shells later in the year. My suggestion is get the Tom Osborne book, look at Glenn Bishop's website and make up your own routine.
Cheers,
Martin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Need Advice: School for Scoundrels shells vs. La Maggiore shells (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL