The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Putting the "slick" back on aged cards (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Schaff
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
133 Posts

Profile of Schaff
Hey all,

I have some aged cards that need to be delt out one at a time. They are so rough, that It's tricky for me to do, and even worse for a spec. Can't thumb off just one.

Do you know any tricks to make them slicker? Maybe this is a job for fanning powder? Never used it, would it leave powder in the hands of people who touched the cards?

Anyhow-- any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Schaff
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
664 Posts

Profile of Bedford
It will depend on what type of cards they are. In general, try Mink Oil or clear boot polish, as I have found it works on most cards. You can find Mink Oil in the shoe section of stores like Bass Pro Shop, sporting goods stores, etc. Apply using a soft rag and wipe off the excess, then let it set overnight. It might darken the cards a bit depending on their composition, so as with all waxing or ageing techniques it's best to try it first on a sample card to be safe. It will also give them a cool musty scent.
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
Schaff
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
133 Posts

Profile of Schaff
Thanks, I'll give it a shot
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1218 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Second the mink oil suggestion! Works on All the cards I've tried, not damaged any.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3318 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I suggest rubbing them with manure. It won't make them any slicker but people will stop smelling them. I hate it when people handle my old cards and want to smell them.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I used to use Car Wax for this purpose. Turtle Wax is still available in automotive supply stores, or on Amazon.
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
656 Posts

Profile of Winks
Weepinwil - I don't it's your CARDS that cause people to wrinkle their noses. Just sayin' Smile
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2131 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Wax? Really? My dad lied to me. He told me to use Fanning Powder and I spend the better half of the day sneezing.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3318 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2017, Mad Jake wrote:
Wax? Really? My dad lied to me. He told me to use Fanning Powder and I spend the better half of the day sneezing.

Maybe your Dad was a joker and gave you sneezing powder instead of fanning powder.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Schaff
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
133 Posts

Profile of Schaff
Thanks for the great replies-- the mink oil worked perfectly.

I also noticed the manure does make for super easy double lifts and block push offs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Putting the "slick" back on aged cards (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL