The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Any oldies but goodies out there? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
320 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Hi all. This is my second foray into learning card magic. My first lasted about four or five years but due to personal issues, I chose to set it aside until very recently. I do not have any aspiration to go professional, but just love seeing pleasantly startled expressions on the faces of my spectators. My question relates to your respective ages when you started acquiring your skills. I'm an old guy who has started his second trip down the Royal Road. I won't say how old, but I will admit that I never forgave the Dodgers for leaving Brooklyn.

I know everything get's harder when you're older, but is there anybody out there that did not get turned on to magic in the womb, and still found the acquisition of skill something that can be achieved. Seriously, anybody start to get involved in acquiring their skills when they were north of 50 or so?
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Ted
P.L.Green
View Profile
New user
Asturias (SPAIN)
59 Posts

Profile of P.L.Green
Hi Ted,

I have recently started into the card magic world with a serious approach, and while I am still "south" of the 50 checkpoint you mention I will soon cross it ;o)
As you do, I do not look forward to any professional use of this skill, at a maximum I would like to perform in Hospitals and/or schools (volunteering).

I am currently covering Royal Road and Giobbi's Card C. vI and in the meantime have just started memorizing Mnemonica, since I know my neurons and rusty and out of shape and it will take me longer than in my old college times. You can follow my progress in the "Time after time / Who Will Stand With Me?" thread.

My motto in live has always been "When there is a will, there is a way" so, in essence, it is never too late for anything in live. I might be biased, since in Spanish the say about old dogs and tricks does not exist. ;o)
Can you keep a secret?.....So can I ;o)
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
320 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thank you for your encouragement Senor Green. I too have CC books 1 and 2, and I feel they provide a good intro into card magic; as does RRTCM. Just from your personal preference, which do you prefer, Royal Road or College?
Cheers,

Ted
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8436 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Too bad my CLOSE-UP CARD MAGIC is out of print.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
P.L.Green
View Profile
New user
Asturias (SPAIN)
59 Posts

Profile of P.L.Green
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2017, TeddyBoy wrote:
Thank you for your encouragement Senor Green. I too have CC books 1 and 2, and I feel they provide a good intro into card magic; as does RRTCM. Just from your personal preference, which do you prefer, Royal Road or College?

If I had to choose, I have to say that I am enjoying CC over RRTCM a little bit so far, but any of them are great introductory books, combining detailed sleight descriptions with associated routines.

I have to admit that my preference might be due to the fact that I have Giobbi's Spanish version (my mother tongue) while I am reading the other one in English. I think my English level is quite good, but the expressions and wording sounds a little bit weird to me sometimes.
Can you keep a secret?.....So can I ;o)
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Welcome, TeddyBoy. This is a question that comes up with some regularity, so the advanced search function might help you find some relevant threads. Here's one to get you started:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41

While I've been interested in magic since I was young, I didn't turn to card magic until I was, as you say, "north of 50." Like you, I'm traveling the Royal Road and attending Card College. There are two other things I've found to be very helpful:

1. Joining a local magic club (I'm involved with my local IBM ring). There I've found people at all skill levels, which means there's always somebody for me to learn from, and somebody for me to help.

2. Taking lessons. One advantage of coming to magic late in life is that you're more likely to have two nickels to rub together, and one of those nickels can be used to hire an experienced magic teacher to show you the ropes. Look for somebody who is well regarded as a teacher (not just as a performer), since the experience they gain teaching others makes them a better teacher for you. I take a lesson every two or three weeks, and I'm happy with the progress I'm making. I try to spend plenty of time with a deck of cards in my hands between lessons, and the meetings with my teacher provide regular feedback so I can correct any errors that have crept into my handlings.

Good luck, and welcome back to the journey!
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
320 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Mr. Lorayne, it is too bad your book is out of print. BUT, I have a copy and just now started using it to reinforce my palming. The second method in particular is explained very well.
Cheers,

Ted
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
320 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thanks Doug. So far, I have not been able to identify a magic club for getting together in NYC. Hard to believe. A teacher would be great but I need to do more research...and sometimes those two nickels are already spoken for.
Cheers,

Ted
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Copies of Harry Lorayne's "Close-Up Card Magic" occasionally show up on Amazon or eBay -- that's how I got mine. It would be great to have this classic book available again -- perhaps through Lyrary.com (which has a couple of Harry's books, but not this one).
Terry Pratchett
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
TeddyBoy -- Both IBM and SAM have chapters in New York City. You can find information on their websites. Or you might just poke your head into Tannen's and see if they can point you in the right direction.
Terry Pratchett
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8436 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
You can get C-UCM in e-book form - go to harryloraynemagic.com and see.

Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
That's great news, Harry.
Terry Pratchett
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8436 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
All my other books (except for the most recent) are there - also available in e-book form. I'm not particularly thrilled about that - I prefer to sell the "regular" books. But - at least they're available for the out-of-print books.

Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1416 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Close Up Card Magic is an excellent book. Kudos to Harry Lorayne for making this available to the magic community.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
320 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Doug and Harry. I have a copy of Close-up Card Magic, but it is too advanced for me at this point.
Cheers,

Ted
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
320 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Doug, thanks for the websites, I;ve found them.
Cheers,

Ted
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8436 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Pick up THE MAGIC BOOK, Ted. I wrote it JUST FOR YOU. Seriously. Go to harryloraynemagic.com to check it out and even to order it!! (I'm thinking of raising the price on that book; too darn cheap at the site.)

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5241 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2017, Harry Lorayne wrote:
All my other books (except for the most recent) are there - also available in e-book form. I'm not particularly thrilled about that - I prefer to sell the "regular" books. But - at least they're available for the out-of-print books.

Ain't that the truth? There's nothing better than the heft and tactile satisfaction of a book. I heard Amazon is pushing hard to revive the bookstore. I hope they succeed.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Kevin Janise
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Kevin Janise
Over the past few years I've been getting back into magic and am slightly north of 50. Books are great and own a ton of them but I'm a more visual learner and like learning from DVDs better. The Ammar Easy to Master Card Miracles are a good starting point. High impact tricks which are easy to learn. The teaching is very good and you'll pick up basic sleights. Big Blind Media also has an excellent series of Self Working videos which have very good tricks on them which are even easier to learn. In general, pick a trick you'd like to learn and learn the sleights needed to perform it. Build from there.

Kevin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Any oldies but goodies out there? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL