The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » School stories (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
OK. In another thread I was prompted to relate a story from my days in grad school (working on a Master's in Math).

So I got the idea of relating other interesting, funny, poignant, whatever, school stories.

Here's one:

As an undergrad in a California State University, I was required either to pass an exam in California government, or to take a class in California government. Stupidly, the exam was given a few weeks after the start of each semester, and, to be allowed to take the exam, you had to be enrolled in the class (which you would likely drop once you learned that you'd passed the exam).

So, I enrolled in this stupid class.

About a week into class, the professor posed this question: Suppose that some of the students in the class want to be allowed to smoke cigarettes in class, and other students don't want them to be allowed to do so; how can we decide whether they should be allowed to smoke in the classroom or not?

I was sitting in the back of the class, and waited to see what sorts of replies the other students would produce. It didn't take long.

"We could vote on it."

The teacher wrote that on the chalkboard (there weren't whiteboards at that time; this was the dark ages): Vote.

I waited a little longer.

Nothing.

That was the extent of the class' replies.

Finally, out of sheer frustration, I raised my hand.

"We could have a darts match: smokers versus nonsmokers; whoever wins decides whether smoking is allowed or not."

The teacher wrote that down on the chalkboard: Darts match.

I continued.

"It doesn't have to be a darts match. It could be arm wrestling. A spelling bee. A free-for-all brawl."

The teacher was writing furiously.

"We could appeal to a higher authority: the university has banned smoking in classrooms."

The teacher continued to write.

"Or tiddlywinks."

The teacher turned to me. "You're an anarchist."

"No. I simply have an imagination."

I passed the test and dropped the class. Thank God!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Yes...once you recognize that the solutions have to be neither good nor rational, you've pretty much demonstrated a good knowledge of California government.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
In an undergraduate math class, a student asked the professor where to find his mailbox so that she could hand something in. He replied that he didn't have one. Perplexed the student asked him why not. He looked slightly bewildered by the question and replied, "then I'd have to check it."
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Yes...once you recognize that the solutions have to be neither good nor rational, you've pretty much demonstrated a good knowledge of California government.

Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2017, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
In an undergraduate math class, a student asked the professor where to find his mailbox so that she could hand something in. He replied that he didn't have one. Perplexed the student asked him why not. He looked slightly bewildered by the question and replied, "then I'd have to check it."

A M E N !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » School stories (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL