The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spirit Slate options (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SK Arnold
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of SK Arnold
What are the pros and cons of various Spirit Slate options available?
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
Since you are posting for the first time why don't you tell us a bit about yourself and your current experience?
John
philraso
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of philraso
Are you looking for pros and cons of using spirit slates? Do you just not want to use a white board? Are you trying to devine something?

Like jstreiff said, we need some more info...
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Cons: Spirit slates don't really reveal messages from spirits.
Pros: Spirit slates don't really reveal messages from spirits.
Nick Tweedy
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Nick Tweedy
I have the same question. I am a performing mentalist and was considering a routine coupled with psypher sharpie and using this as a reveal. Are there any options which could allow writing on the fly? I saw a video of Abacus Spiritalis Spirit Slates that make noise when the "spirits" are writing; however, I could not find anyone currently selling these. Are there any other high tech versions available? Is there anyone currently selling Abacus Spiritalis Spirit Slates
? Here is a link to my current "ghost routine" I did last year on an interview on tour in Nepal to give you a feel for my performing style. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT1dZozGIzM&t=82s Thanks in advance for you your input.
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
Nick, Docc sells his "Corvus Slates" here http://www.ientertainer.net/store/docc-h......s-slates they talk and are EXCELLENT!
I was lucky enough to pick up the last pair he had at a lecture some 5 or 6 years ago for half price. They still pop up on eBay from time to time for about $100. Don't count on it though, as those of us who have used them, love them and might no want to part with them?
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
important and is all that matters, for your success to be glorious.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, Nick Tweedy wrote:
Are there any options which could allow writing on the fly?

Yes. Many, many options.

If I have five minutes later, I will try to help you out.

Elliott
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Done. See Inner Thoughts. Hope it helps.
Wyld2006
View Profile
New user
If only I was clever enough to come up with something witty to back up my...
41 Posts

Profile of Wyld2006
Gemini Artifacts starting selling Abacus Slates recently. Their website is getting more and more all the time. If you PM me I can give you ideas on how to create the writing sound.
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
908 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
For those who missed them the first time, a new improved version has just been released...

https://youtu.be/Jk-J91e8Drs

Available here...

https://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/products......-edition
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2018, LebanonCircle wrote:
For those who missed them the first time, a new improved version has just been released...

https://youtu.be/Jk-J91e8Drs

Available here...

https://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/products......-edition

Very nice!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
To answer your question - any spirit slate will do what a spirit slate does. The effect is pretty much the same for all slates. A message appears. The more expensive ones 'lock' and that may or may not be a good thing. The con is that slates are totally 19th century and hard to incorporate into a modern performance. All the ones pitched here are fine. I would suggest you buy the cheapest set you can get if you're starting out. It may look like a great effect, but the performance requires real skill I suggest you get Slate Killers by Bob Cassidy to see what can be done with them. Also, he'll show you how to make your own from old DVD cases. If you're new to all this, it's not the thing you buy that makes the performance, it's the performer. Price does not mean impact. It may mean better quality, maybe not.

As to the talking slates, they are certainly interesting, but everyone knows it's not a ghost actually writing with chalk. In fact, I don't think ghosts can use physical objects. Ghosts make messages appear without explanation. Those are the things you should think about when deciding to do a slate bit.
magicsachin
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
132 Posts

Profile of magicsachin
This is the one I use in my shows .. . http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S8079 [ MAGNETIC SPIRIT SLATES BY BAZAR DE MAGIA]
Thank You Smile
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
If I'm not mistaken there are some moves with normal slates in the Corinda book? If you can find a pair of real school slates on eBay or somewhere, I'd go with that. I also believe that on an old Peter Warlock video a move is displayed that also has all sides of both slates shown and numbered?
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
The venerable Massey (sp?) Spirit Slate (that works like a "modern" photo display) allows you to show both sides of a single slate, yet a message can appear on both sides. There's no f--- to worry about disposing of...I don't know if this is still available.

Julie
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Here are my slates. I purchase these children's slates from the dollar store in the town I'm performing in. While performing I open the sealed package (heeheehee) and ask the spirits to make their appearance. Oh, and by the way I also buy some black poster board! Each slate cost me $1.

Click here to view attached image.
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
If I'm not mistaken there are some moves with normal slates in the Corinda book? If you can find a pair of real school slates on eBay or somewhere, I'd go with that. I also believe that on an old Peter Warlock video a move is displayed that also has all sides of both slates shown and numbered?

Osterlind teaches such a move in one of his videos. I'm not remembering which exactly. I don't find it as deceptive as the !@#$ kind though.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2018, Last Laugh wrote:
Osterlind teaches such a move in one of his videos. I'm not remembering which exactly. I don't find it as deceptive as the !@#$ kind though.

It must have been the Osterlind version I was thinking of because I just watched the Warlock version and there is no numbering of the slates just showing the outside and inside without the special something involved. Looks just like what it should be, two slates front and back without over proving anything.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:

I've performed the effect where all 4 sides are shown and numbered. It's Annemann's routine published in "Practical Mental Magic" and titled "Super Slates."
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2017, jimgerrish wrote:
Cons: Spirit slates don't really reveal messages from spirits.
Pros: Spirit slates don't really reveal messages from spirits.

REAL Spirit slates do.....
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spirit Slate options (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL