The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The last 48 hours, what have you been doing in magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Practicing oil and water, and making videos.
The Presitidigitationist
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1019 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Updating my site on my Alan Warner/miniature magic collection with stuff from my collection, particularly my two Wolf's Magic PaddleCraft sets.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5352 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
This has been an interesting thread to review. With approximately 81 posts, 61 of the posters were practicing something, reading, or watching a DVD/Video. There was one or two that were cleaning out their stuff, a couple getting ready for the magic club and one just browsing the Café.

There were only about 15 posters actually working performing magic (one of those was really not performing but developing new tricks so there were only 14 actually performing!). Not all of those were performing for money!

This makes me wonder when all this practicing is going to pay off in actual performing for someone. I used to think that magic was a performance art. Now I am beginning to believe that it is an academic field of study. Maybe we ought to be called magicologists!

In the past 48 hours I have played three paid gigs, one a festival venue and two in bar venues. One was an escape show, one magic show, and one mentalist show.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
In the past 48 hours, I taught magic to a paying student, and finalized the loading of my show for the Alberta Centennial. Our Province (the equivalent to a state in the U.S.) is turning 100 years old and I have been hired to perform 11 hours of walk around magic.

In addition to this, I checked out the venue at a local restaurant that has hired me to perform as their finale to "Customer Appreciation Week"

Then, on September 18th, I will have another 4 hour walk around gig for the Heart & Stroke Foundation.

This is above and beyond my daily practice regimen and my regular day job. I guess, all in all, it's been a pretty magical year for me so far.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Quote:
On 2005-08-31 12:27, Harry Murphy wrote:
This makes me wonder when all this practicing is going to pay off in actual performing for someone. I used to think that magic was a performance art. Now I am beginning to believe that it is an academic field of study. Maybe we ought to be called magicologists!

But Harry, this is the "New To Magic" forum. I thought we should be practicing and not exposing tricks by attempting to perform unpolished routines! Smile
gadget19
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, Nevada
31 Posts

Profile of gadget19
Got my scotch and soda coins...been trying new tricks with them. That was a really good purchase for me. Even performing simple tricks with that has been a huge confidence booster for me as a beginner.
Magicman101uk
View Profile
Regular user
Nuneaton, UK
146 Posts

Profile of Magicman101uk
I've been constantly practicing my coin work. I was heavily into card magic and recently someone asked me to show them a trick with a coin, and I could not think of one trick to do (I hung my head in shame most of that night....) Since then, I practiced alot, and over the past 48 hours I've practiced Classic palm, Finger Palm, Goshman Pinch, Shuttle Pass and various other techinques.

Cheers

Paul
Anyone here believe in psycho-kinesis? Raise my hand!

www.paul-humphreys.com
Sleightly_Done
View Profile
New user
Orange Park, Florida
76 Posts

Profile of Sleightly_Done
Quote:
On 2005-08-31 12:27, Harry Murphy wrote:

In the past 48 hours I have played three paid gigs, one a festival venue and two in bar venues. One was an escape show, one magic show, and one mentalist show.

Magic is something different for everyone. I certainly don't do it for money, I do it for me. It is a form of meditation and relaxation. I'm pretty good at cards (don't rely on gaffed decks, unless I just want to throw a gaffed effect in), do some work with coins, cups/balls, and now starting to work with the rings and silks.... it's just fun.

When I am really, REALLY good, then I will share it more freely with my friends and family. I might even make a buck or two in performing for others.... but I can tell you this with certainty, I'll do it for the fun, not for the money.

Every job I have ever had was because I loved what I did. With that kind of commitment, and some hard work, the money always follows. Always.
coleman
View Profile
New user
lahn-dahn, yoo-kay
34 Posts

Profile of coleman
Harry, I'm definitely with sleightly_done on this subject.

personally, I doubt I will ever perform magic for money - I certainly have no desire to at the moment.

not to mention that, this thread is in the 'new to magic' forum which gives a pretty good reason for most of the posts in here being about learning magic, not performing it - I would guess that the vast majority of posters in this section of the site are not at performance level yet.

in the last 48 hours I have: had a card palmed for about 7 hours in total (trying to get used to the angles and it feeling natural), learnt to spring cards (just need the 'catch' to be more consistent), practiced glimpses and overhand/riffle shuffle card controls, read a little of 'expert billiard ball manipulation - part 2', and played with some sponge balls.

cole. x
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Personally I am more than pleased to see so many people giving this craft the study it deserves without running out to join the multitudes of hackers that bring down the "magical" part of magic. I went to see a "professional" magician about 3 months ago and was appalled at the lacking of basic skills and disregard for entertaining presentation. I love magic and I must say if nothing else this guy got me back into to it. If I never get paid for a single gig again I will take pride in bringing some skill, creativity and mysticism back to the magic community. I just watched a video of Whit Haydn and thought WOW!..this guy makes magic magical. I want to be one of those magicians that can make an imp bottle seem magical and mysterious, at the very least get some good laughs. I've spent the last couple days devising a flowing routine, writing comedic patter and relearning the basic coin slights, card sleights, ring handling, etc. If anyone hasn't noticed the entire entertainment industry has really catered to a dumbed down special effects devouring public. How many great movies have you seen lately? Anyone remember acting? I'm not a big David Blaine fan but I give him a lot of credit..he looks like he believes he's doing magic. Being a great magician is probably the most difficult of all entertainment professions...when done well. We have to have physical skills, acting ability, script writing ability, and we're always LIVE! At halftime for monday night football I did a mentalist and poker shark routine with a set of cards I snagged off my friends counter. I had gone to the bathroom and set up the deck Si Stebbins style in a couple minutes. Went back and replanted the cards. I got the guys engaged in talking about mentalism and asked for a deck of cards. I "shuffled" the deck and then I fried everyone with a routine that took about 10 minutes. I bet 20 hours of practice and patter rehearsing went into that little act. It was my first time performing in years and everyone was just blown away..and these were my friends who are always a tough audience. Had I just done a great trick the first words out of their mouths would have been "cool trick, how'd ya do it?" Instead I got.."wow''that was freakin awesome, why aren't you doing this professionally?" Another said that was the best halftime show I've seen since Janet Jacksons boob!" Accolades just don't get much better than that. And my ranting point is..keep up the great work guys!
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Quote:
On 2005-08-09 11:08, Herrick, Jeff wrote:
Café'-sleep-Cafe'-eat-cafe'-etc...just kidding
besides here I visited the local Magic Shop and talked Shop, purchased a couple of items for my 8 year-old. Jeff

I wish we had a magic shop around here. I would be there all day everyday! Actually, I would probably work there. Anyways, latley Ive been practicing with my omni deck, and trying to figure out routines that I can use with a jumbo coin.
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
In the last 48 hrs I've re-read Roberto Giobbi's chapter on magic theory (in Volume #2 of Card College) -- just excellent! And, I've worked at two card sleights: Steven Youell's Mongeral Pass and controlling both top and bottom stocks in the overhand shuffle via Erndase techniques.

Gary
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
In the last 48 hrs I've re-read Roberto Giobbi's chapter on magic theory (in Volume #2 of Card College) -- just excellent! And, I've worked at two card sleights: Steven Youell's Mongeral Pass and controlling both top and bottom stocks in the overhand shuffle via Erndase techniques.

Gary
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Performing.

Working on a new eBook.
MikeOB
View Profile
Loyal user
Doylestown, PA
213 Posts

Profile of MikeOB
Having my wife critique me on my top illusions. Combining tricks together to see how they would work out. I had some items I never used and thought they would work out great combining them with other ones.
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Watching bill Malone performance on the loose.
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
artofmanipulation
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
121 Posts

Profile of artofmanipulation
Practising my patter for card magic taught in Brainstorm by John Guastaferro
Small-hands Luke
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Small-hands Luke
I've been practicing a new DL.
Sean Comer
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Sean Comer
Reading Complete Cups and Balls. The Essays are very good. Practicing Don Allen's Chop Cup. (Little Don)
Sean Comer
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Sean Comer
Reading Complete Cups and Balls. The Essays are very good. Practicing Don Allen's Chop Cup. (Little Don)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The last 48 hours, what have you been doing in magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL