The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Thieves and Sheep (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
I was going thru some old material and got reunited with Thieves and Sheep. I like the effect and the subtlety to get to 5 and 2 from 4 and 3. However, I'm not so thrilled with the original story line.

I've broken down the visuals and the effect, but cant figure out a good replacement story line

- 7 coins shown: 5 silver, 2 copper
- Coins are split up in the two hands, 1 copper and 3 silver in one, 1 copper and 2 silver in the other
- The 5 silver coins are laid back down on the table leaving 1 copper in each hand
- The 5 silver coins are picked back up the same way as before, recreating 1 copper and 3 silver in one hand, 1 copper and 2 silver in the other
- When the hands are opened 5 silvers are in one hand, 2 copper in the other

There is a "fit" with the story of thieves and sheep to justify the pickup, laydown, and pick up... but a farm story doesn't suit me. I've played with other "robbery" scenarios, but can't come up with a punch line for the final reveal.

Any thoughts are appreciated
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Scott -
I suggest you pick a setting that makes sense for your performing environment and then build the story around it.

Ali Babba and the 40 thieves
Bachelor /bachelorette party
Halloween, kids and candy
Political - voting in the Senate
Kids picking sports teams

Just about any one of these settings could come up with a situation where someone/something goes somewhere that perhaps they shouldn't be.

I know this isn't the answer, but perhaps a path to reaching the answer. Happy to help develop one that makes sense to you.

Hudson
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
How about a presentation based on a W.W.E Royal Rumble, Royal Rumble is a battle royal that begins with two wrestlers in the ring (the copper coins), with the remaining participants introduced one by one at set time periods. Each wrestler trying to eliminate their competitors by tossing them over the top rope of the ring, with both feet touching the floor (place the coins back on the table).

But the rule says if both feet don't touch the floor well outside the ring then that wrestler is allowed to re-enter the ring if able (pick up the coins again).

When all wrestlers are successfully eliminated (open one hand holding all the silver coins) and two competitors remain (open the other hand showing two copper coins) the final winner is decided, (ask a spectator to choose one of the copper coins turning it over to show a sticker on the reverse side showing winner).

Magically

Aus
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
All ideas are helpful ! Thanks
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
A gambling theme will work well here
Saying lines like "He tried to trick me by laying down 5 of the coins, leaving one copper each hand, and then he asked me....."

Seems like a very confusing effect...PICK UP>> PUT DOWN >>>>PICK UP

Some type of gathering the flock will work but yeah that is just back onto the Farm Theme

Gathering of one's thoughts?

The gathering of the minds or a WITCH's gathering ....

ANTS? BEES? some type of hive or swarm

Flock of Birds.... the 2 copper being Mocking Birds that look different than the others but trick the Silver birds by using their "Call"

Anyway just brainstorming some themes here.....not sure how any would work
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
I appreciate the feedback... still a work in process
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Thieves and Sheep (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL