The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Justin Willman Netflix (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As for camera tricks let me just say the following.

Why not use them exactly? What is so wrong with that particular deception?

Now getting caught using any method is inexcusable so that is not the point. Just don't get caught.

As for lies, well isn't that sort of the job description in some way?

Ladies and gentlemen we deal in deception. What we should strive to avoid getting caught up in is self deception. The idea that one method somehow is acceptable and another is not is odd to me. Again use any method you want just don't get caught.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Quote:
As for camera tricks let me just say the following.

Why not use them exactly? What is so wrong with that particular deception?

Now getting caught using any method is inexcusable so that is not the point. Just don't get caught.

As for lies, well isn't that sort of the job description in some way?

Ladies and gentlemen we deal in deception. What we should strive to avoid getting caught up in is self deception. The idea that one method somehow is acceptable and another is not is odd to me. Again use any method you want just don't get caught.
Danny Doyle

There is more at stake than just getting caught with a thumbtip. If blue screen or cgi is used and you do get caught it hurts the whole genre not just that trick.

Magic on TV is pretty suspect and the only hope is that you can convince people that the TV audience is seeing exactly what the home audience sees. If not they might as well watch the latest superhero movie if they want to see people flying and transporting invisbly.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nothing anyone does affects you or the entire genera in one way or another. Each is responsible for the public's perception of themselves.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
As with all magic on TV today, including AGT and Fool us......I'll just say this.....I miss Gary Ouellet.
natmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
301 Posts

Profile of natmagic
Justin Willman is very likeable and talented, I was however sad to see its 'yet' another no real magician required and edit to create the impossible show. Smile
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2018, natmagic wrote:
Justin Willman is very likeable and talented, I was however sad to see its 'yet' another no real magician required and edit to create the impossible show. Smile

The thing is, in real life he is talented. Nowadays I think the use of "clever cuts" in magic shows are good because you will have this people explaining the effects in the comments if there's not cuts as without the cuts, theres literally no misdirection!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Was it just me, or were some of those specs from central casting on their third take?
Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
I just finished the series and thought it was well done. I mostly loved how Justin's love of magic comes through. I did not know too much about him prior and this has caused me to look at some of stuff that he has done that can be found online. He's very likeable. I was very surprised to see that more people in the Café were not discussing it. Clever edits aside, it still seems to me that a show like this on Netflix is good for magic.

I also noticed that he used several marketed effects in the shows, though most with his own twist. One that I thought was a great, (and I know we did not see it all) was in either the last or second to last episode and he asked a lady to name any celebrity. He produced his prediction and it did not match hers....initially, which was Betty White, but he came through in the end. I liked this a lot and if you saw the episode you know what I am referring too. Is this a take on a marketed or published effect? I could find nothing on it, though I think I have seen something similar too it before.
Nigel Quinn
View Profile
Regular user
U.K
118 Posts

Profile of Nigel Quinn
I thought this following clip from a recent UK TV show, featuring a local magician, had a Magic For Humans vibe:
'Will These Kids Wait Patiently for The Magician?' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-fV3EsaB6Y
Q U I N
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
I'm baaaaack...after many years away. Been busy.

Ok so...I stared watching many months ago and didn't care for all the edits. There is just NO WAY that some of his stuff could be accomplished in front of a live audience. The De Kolta (sp) chair on concrete surrounded? REALLY?

So he and the Netflix team will be filming in my private community this Saturday but I will be gigging and most likely will miss the entire taping.

Has opinion changed after all this time? I understand and appreciate that he may me talented in person but shows like these drive me crazy with all the impossible edits.

Whats the latest word on this show?
Laughing
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Laughing
I watched the first episode and he clearly states there is no camera tricks and yet there was. He seems a very likeable guy and some of the effects I enjoyed, particularly the mobile phone attached to the balloons, but that was more for the audience reaction.

Entertaining, maybe, magic, not so much.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow a magician lied. Hmmm that is strange. I mean nobody who ever said "this is a normal deck" or "you had a completely free choice" or "we don't know each other do we" ever lied about those things.

But it is TV. Reality shows are written and use bad actors.

I am just adding perspective.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
bluejay17!
View Profile
Regular user
DC
120 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
Also, I wouldn’t qualify creative editing ads camera trick. When laypeople hear camera trick, they think CGI, not cutting away from the person to hide the method. Cutting in tv magic is nothing new. Television is not the best way to show magic, so producers have to compensate for that by editing.
-Elisha
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Don't be silly. Creative editing is s camera trick. When Harry Anderson did it in Hello Sucker it was a camera trick and it still is. That is not the first example but a great one.

Long before CGI there were camera tricks.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Any thoughts on Season 3? He spent the day in our community (where I live) and it produced about an 8 minute segment. This particular episode is called "Known Fear"and it was filmed at our nudist resort. Did anyone see it? Thoughts?

Regretting NOT taking the day off to be there at this point as I would have loved to see him pull off "The egg, the lemon and the grapefruit" routine without a table....an assistant or CLOTHES.
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
597 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
I haven’t finished this season yet, but enjoying it as much as the first 2 seasons (seasons 2 & 3 were filmed at the same time).
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Ya.....sooooo.....anyone have anything else on the latest episode? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Justin Willman Netflix (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL