The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Speaking of faith . . . (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Today, my wife and I attended a memorial service for a gentleman who used to work at the school district where my wife works. Thirteen days ago he was driving with his wife when he suffered a stroke. There was an ensuing traffic accident in which he was severely injured; he died last Friday, and is survived by his wife (whose injuries were minor), and a host of siblings, siblings-in-law, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and step-parents.

The service - a celebration of his life, not a mourning of his death - was conducted by his favorite son-in-law, a pastor at a local church. It was wonderful. (Note: I didn't know the man at all, but my wife did. After today's service, I wish that I did.)

We argue here at times about faith - sometimes civilly, sometimes otherwise - but I have to tell you that this was a man of faith. According to his son-in-law, 12 years ago he accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior, and lived the life of a Christian ever since: he was devoted to his faith and to helping others.

This was a good man, and the world is a worse place for his passing. His faith, and his family's faith, is a great source of comfort to a host of people now. That's a good thing, whether you believe in God or not.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
People often miss the things like this that is such an important part of some lives. A great story Bill.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Good story Bill.

Lot of good people like that out there that you never hear much about until they are gone.
Funerals can sometimes remind us just how short life here on earth really is. I agree that leaving
family and friends behind with peace of mind is a good thing.

Tom
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
There was an old Peanuts strip in which Linus was reading something:

Linus: A man was born: he lived and he died.

Linus: Kinda makes you wish you'd known the guy.

I wish that I'd known Richard.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
"This was a good man, and the world is a worse place for his passing. His faith, and his family's faith, is a great source of comfort to a host of people now. That's a good thing, whether you believe in God or not."

I'm not sure I really understand the morale of this tale.

Good people die. Some have some sort of "faith" and some do not. Are you suggesting that those without faith should pretend for the sake of those they leave behind? Or you simply implying that ones faith may be false in truth but full of utility? ok then. heh

I understand what your trying to say, your trying to lift up the position of faith. But it always seems to me that these kinds of platitudes do so by throwing the position under a bus in order to showcase the utility.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
What makes you think that the tale has a moral?

It's simply what happened.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2017, Joshua Barrett wrote:
"This was a good man, and the world is a worse place for his passing. His faith, and his family's faith, is a great source of comfort to a host of people now. That's a good thing, whether you believe in God or not."

I'm not sure I really understand the morale of this tale.

Good people die. Some have some sort of "faith" and some do not. Are you suggesting that those without faith should pretend for the sake of those they leave behind? Or you simply implying that ones faith may be false in truth but full of utility? ok then. heh

Do you really think that that is what Bill is suggesting? Perhaps you should read more carefully.

Quote:
I understand what your trying to say, your trying to lift up the position of faith. But it always seems to me that these kinds of platitudes do so by throwing the position under a bus in order to showcase the utility.

I don't think you understand at all. Bill is telling a story of shared experience. He found it meaningful and moving. And I found the telling both meaningful and moving.

Sometimes its more important to share than it is to win.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2017, S2000magician wrote:
There was an old Peanuts strip in which Linus was reading something:

Linus: A man was born: he lived and he died.

I just realized that I got this one completely wrong.

Linus had been bugging Lucy to read him a book, which she didn't want to do.

Finally, she capitulated.

Lucy: A man was born: he lived and he died.

That makes a lot more sense.

And I still wish that I'd known Richard.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
On occasion it can work where you are fortunate enough to know a person for a brief time.

My wife was fortunate enough to meet Jay Marshall shortly prior to his death. Having heard me speak so highly of my friend, it was great we had an opportunity to spend a short time with him.

She was grateful to have spent even that amount of time knowing him, but indeed wished she had known him better.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I can remember meeting my sister-in-law’s dad, Bob Grim. He was an older/retired professional baseball player that had played with the NY Yankees. I only knew him for a brief time before he had a heart attack. While I am grateful for knowing him I often wish I had made it a point to meet him early. Life is short and can be shorter than we think for some.

Tom
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Have you ever been to a funeral of somebody that is not missed by their loved ones? Even at the old Nazi funerals, you see the faithful to the end.

The morale of this story is, you are all going soft.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Tommy, another moral is that however he was before twelve years ago...he is mourned for who he became and as an example of what faith can do for people.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
First, there is no morale and no mourning then there is. Christianity certainly contains a great deal of wisdom.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
Great faith, strength and story. I often love to hear about people who I haven't met but still think so much about. Take Pavel as an example. I have used his ropes for years but never met him. A couple years ago I introduced myself to Bob Sanders at a convention and he told me some great stories of Pavel. Some people touch your life without ever crossing your path.
Bruce
LesPaltaX
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of LesPaltaX
Given that this is a magic forum and we're talking about faith, I have to say as respectfully as I can, that I think this is the origin of faith and religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychologi......y_relief

I'm sorry for the man, and for your wife who knew him.

As someone stated above, it doesn't matter if you were a serial killer. Probably there will be people at your funeral, and they'll say nice things about you.
(I;m not saying this is the case. It's hard to be respectful AND take a different posture than the expected one).

ANother thought about faith is that, it can make you unreasonable, bringing the worst and best of you depending on the situation. That goes for faith in god, politicians, holy water, bach flowers, biomagnetism, or whatever you believe in...
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
On Blue Bloods tonight (rerun):

Danny: "You don't know that."
Erin: "No, but I believe it."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2017, LesPaltaX wrote:
... or whatever you believe in...

Yup, oatmeal too.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Speaking of faith . . . (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL