The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Cleaning shell set (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
What would you guys recommend to clean a copper/silver shell set? I know that coin collectors say to never clean coins because you WANT a nice patina. In the case of my Lassen copper/silver set though, the patina on the copper shell is so bad you can't even read it anymore, it's also getting a bit green.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
A cup filled with vinegar and some salt stirred in. Put the coins in and in a few minutes they are shiny clean.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I think it was on this forum that someone had a recipe for a solution that would remove a little patina, but keep the shine away.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I got an email from Mad Jake a while ago, recommending 2 parts water and 1 part baking soda. Rub in a circular motion until it cleans up a little, then wash it when you get the desired color.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Coin collectors say never to clean a coin because it immediately destroys its collectible value.
I prefer a good dark patina on copper coins as it contrasts better with the silver. A bright shiny copper might not look too much different from silver.
The green isn't necessarily so good... maybe a VERY light abrasive to remove the green? In most cases I've seen copper coins turning green it was because they were kept in a leather purse/pouch/holder where the leather was in direct contact with the coins (not lined).
That said, I did just shine up the brass "Miracle Enjoyment" coins in my Lassen CSB set with some Brasso. They look better that way and the hole is enough to set them apart from the others.
technologhee
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of technologhee
I don't see any problem with cleaning the coins to a shine. Avoiding cleaning to a shine is a collector issue, and we aren't collectors and the coins aren't collectibles. I prefer watching shiny coins too.
FrankHorng
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of FrankHorng
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2017, technologhee wrote:
I don't see any problem with cleaning the coins to a shine. Avoiding cleaning to a shine is a collector issue, and we aren't collectors and the coins aren't collectibles. I prefer watching shiny coins too.

Some people deal with soft coins.
A shiny old soft coin seems.....tricky
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have used soft walkers for many years and have always shined my coins. I have never had anyone question why an old worn out coin was so shiny. I guess they just figure it is so they can see them better. Even when I have handed one or two out (to someone who has never seen an old half before) unless they were collectors, they never questioned it. I shine all of my halves and English pennies. I also shine all my Morgans but went with a darker patina (out of a bottle) on the copper dollar size "coins" (copper rounds) I use with them.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
ma91cm1ke
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of ma91cm1ke
As Tom G said above a little baking powder/bicarbonate of soda mixed with a little water to make a paste works wonders. Just rub the coins and paste between your fingers then rinse and repeat until you get the desired effect. For a patina a quick dip in diluted liver of sulphur is very effective.
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
I did not like the patina on my lassen copper miracle enjoyment coins.

So I started over. Placed lemon juice in a paper cup and placed the coins in it. let it sit for a few minutes. Swirl it around if you want. The coins were shiny and new in minutes. then I started the natural patina process all over by handling the coins every day.

Cal
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
magojose|
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of magojose|
You could clean silver side (and any silver coin)with those jewellery towels.....look for them at Amazon or just ask on any jewel store for them. They use it for polish and clean silver, gold or any other metal.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Cleaning shell set (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL