The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vault - 50 Fifty by Andrew Gerard / Download (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

therealbrogilbert
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of therealbrogilbert
Andrew Gerard and Ran Pink's Conscious Magic series has been getting rave reviews from the magic community and with good reason. On this episode of the Vault, a sneak peek into this amazing project featuring another gem by my friend Andrew Gerard that I perform all the time Smile If you can make it through my strange little dream of an introduction there is a full trailer and performance of the 50 Fifty effect there too Smile Namaste.

https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=59778

Merchant
https://www.magicshop.co.uk/fifty-fifty

Be amazing Magic Shop
http://columbusmagicshop.com/product/the......ownload/
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Anyone have this and Ian Rowland's 50/50 Fantasia? Curious how similar they may be.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2017, Last Laugh wrote:
Anyone have this and Ian Rowland's 50/50 Fantasia? Curious how similar they may be.

Vastly different based on the full performance shown.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Riiight.
Okay having watched the demo now.....

This looks like the same strategy from Sudo Nimh's Positive/Negative routine.

Not bad.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Prager
View Profile
Inner circle
e-Mentalism.com
1858 Posts

Profile of Prager
Quote:
Riiight.

Not bad.

Sorry but Sudo was not the first to use this strategy. I have seen it before in various manuscripts, one being Paul Brook's One in The Hand.
I really like Andrew Gerard's approach.
Jose Prager
The man who knows how to amuse and mystify

www.e-mentalism.com
Secret products for mentalists.
deaton
View Profile
New user
Winter Park Florida
60 Posts

Profile of deaton
Easy and effective, but an obvious f____e. Wouldn't anyone with a casual interest in magic figure this out in a New York second?
Original Old Town Magic Shop owner near Walt Disney World. Former Bozo the Clown in S.W. Ohio TV market. Was the founder and artistic director of Pinocchio's Maroionette Theater in Central Florida. Actor, writer, director, magic and spook show enthusiast.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2017, Prager wrote:
Quote:
Riiight.

Not bad.

Sorry but Sudo was not the first to use this strategy. I have seen it before in various manuscripts, one being Paul Brook's One in The Hand.

Yeah I wasn't saying that he was the first.

However, according to Sudo, he was friends with Andrew Gerard when Andrew was first getting into magic and Sudo was one of his early teachers. So, it may have come from Sudo in the first place. Not sure.
Also, Sudo originally published his routine over 10 years ago in his shop.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2017, deaton wrote:
Easy and effective, but an obvious f____e. Wouldn't anyone with a casual interest in magic figure this out in a New York second?

It may be obvious, but it's not a force.
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
Quote:
Quote:
Riiight.

Not bad.

Sudo Nimhs Positive/Negative was the exact same method and handling that Richard Busch published years ago in Peek Performances so it was Busch’s strategy not his. This uses a vaguely similar ploy but it very different overall.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
No force needed. Have not tried it live but in a setting like this after dinner , casual , relaxed I do think it will play well with this casual simplistic approach
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
This is a lovely and clever effect. I love the fact that it is entirely impromptu, and that it is completely foolproof. Meanwhile your spectator won't feel "conned" like most bar bets, but will genuinely believe that you predicted what he would do, influenced the outcome, or just got luck. And with $100 on the line, it gets immediate interest and attention. Lovely choice for The Vault!

For more of my thoughts, see the detailed review of FIFTY 50 that I just posted elsewhere on The Magic Café here:

Review: The Vault - FIFTY 50 (Andrew Gerard) - With $100 on the line, you correctly predict which hand your spectator will grab it with

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......c=670858

Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2017, Last Laugh wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Riiight.

Not bad.

Yeah I wasn't saying that he was the first.

However, according to Sudo, he was friends with Andrew Gerard when Andrew was first getting into magic and Sudo was one of his early teachers. So, it may have come from Sudo in the first place. Not sure.
Also, Sudo originally published his routine over 10 years ago in his shop.

Just for full clarification: Yes, I was using this approach BEFORE Richard Busch published his version in Peek Performances and was sharing/selling it with many of the locals at the time. I developed several solutions for the plot - many of which I have shared here at the Café. Positively No Negative was but one of them and there is more than ample evidence of these facts. Prager is wrong in this case and it's well known that Yuan Moons has continued to insist that I didn't despite the fact that he has no horse in this race whatsoever and is willfully ignorant of the actual facts. That's what happens though when you cut somebody off from free gifts you're handing out - they go out on a personal crusade against you. Paul Brooks has also published the same idea in 2008, and then just last year in 2017, Francis Girola as well. The idea is really a simple one, so it's really no surprise that others have also developed work using this same idea. But people really should get their facts straight before they go running off at the mouth. Not referring to you Last Laugh.

As for Gerard, yes I know Andrew going back 20 years now, but never was I his "teacher". Andrew was already well into the art long before I entered the picture. I *did* however teach him a fair number of the things I was using back then - including "Positively No Negative". We shared numerous ideas together on a regular basis before he got into magic/mentalism/hypnotism full-time. When he and I first became friends, he simply wasn't doing this full-time, that's all. It may have been interpreted as me saying he was "just getting into it", but what I meant was that he was just beginning to get into it as a full-time profession. But like I said, that was 20 years ago.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
One last thought: Andrew's routine here is a wonderful application of the concept. When you purchase an effect that uses a principle like this in it, a little thinking will reveal numerous ways in which that principle can be exploited for other uses. Smile
Calvin826
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
I like it. Mix and match along with Banachek's ESP opener, B'Wave, your favorite Free Will variant or DFB, and you have a pretty solid set themed around influence.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
I'll embed the video trailer, which includes a full performance starting at around 1:30.

If you have experience in mentalism, you will likely have a good idea about how this is done just by watching the performance, but that doesn't mean you should skip picking up this video. As I wrote in my review, even though the method is quite straight forward (and fool proof), there are small details that are important and can make all the difference in pulling off this effect well, and the teaching section of the video gives you everything you need to accomplish that.

Andrew Gerard provides several useful tips about small nuances that help make it more convincing, and I found these very helpful and even essential. How you present this effect in terms of your timing, your patter, and everything else, is key to whether or not it will be a real fooler, and in the explanation part of the video Andrew Gerard's conversation with Ran Pink covers all those details.
Bruce T
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Bruce T
Wonderful effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vault - 50 Fifty by Andrew Gerard / Download (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL