The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » TT get ready (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
wizard75d
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of wizard75d
Hi All,
I have recently took the plunge and brought my magic to the outside world. I have been a box room rebel for far too long. My first gig went well but the simple things let me down. During the routine, I extract the TT from the front trouser pocket (the inner smaller pocket - perfect for keeping the TT in position). However, the load was difficult with the bill in situ. Does anyone have any tips, advice, or suggestions for books etc. on the best way to retrieve and dump the TT before and after a bill switch. I have Michael Ammars books and the Classic Renditions vids, but couldn't find something that works. Paper clip to keep the bill in place until ready was a nice idea but it kept sliding off. Many thanks in advance.
D
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Dear Wiz!

Professor Herwin, (aka: William Humpage) "done good", a "hundred" years ago (+/-) when he invented that GIMMICK/FEKE (arguably, BOTH terms might apply!) which has caused you some mild consternation! (Read on....)

I got MY first "Herwin" in 1947. Percy Abbott was having a "sale"! (almost unheard of: a magic dealer having a sale!) IIRC, the catalog price was 50 cents. The sale price was 25 cents (50% off! --and Percy "paid the postage"!). As the old sidewalk "Sevengali" (that's how Eddie Fields, spelled it.) pitchman always said, "I nearly tore my underwear, getting out my wallet!"

I got a chair and sat by the mailbox! (heqq! I was 15!) In what seemed like a week, a tiny package arrived! I tore off the wrappings, and tried it on! It was "one size fits all", and, it did!

In those ancient days, BP (before plastic) a TT was made of a metallic substance, that some may remember (aluminum). With a little muscular effort, one could jam a 3/4" lit cigarette butt into Herwin's marvelous "gimmick/feke", but, not much else!

I was not a tobacco addict, so, I only used "it" occasionally. The paint wore off, in my pocket! Nearly a generation later, some guy named Vernet, apparently realized that, "the time had come" ("...the walrus said") to "reinvent the wheel"! He did.

J.B.(Bobo) and I were having a session at the Some Are Magicians Convention, in 1975 (AD) in Chicago. He showed me his clever idea of vanishing a 12" (4 momme) silk, using a Vernet. I used it to open my school show for FIVE years! It was cheap,and,I'm a thrifty soul). By then, quite a few magicians had also realized how good the EFFECT was, and Mr. Vernet, is now, a retired gezillionaire. (That 50 cent "gimmick/feke", now costs 5 bucks!)

Then one day, while contemplating my navel, and simultaneously sitting naked in a snow bank, like them guys do in Tibet, (Of course, I was using Upper Peninsula of Michigan snow, 'cuz it was more available.) I thought "EUREKA!" (Archimedes yelled that, when he ran down the street in Athens, naked, after realizing the principle of specific gravity, while sitting in his bathtub!) I had suddenly realized that Tarbell NEVER SAID, that a magician was not allowed (note the double negative) to own more than one of Humpage's marvelous "things".

I immediately sent my BR (old carnies will know that BR means bank roll) to the honorable Jasper Marshall (Percy had passed on). Now, I had TWO of them Herwin gadgets, AND, they were interchangeable!!!)! I felt like the Lone Ranger, who had TWO "six guns"!

So! WIZ, may I suggest that YOU send to your favorite dealer (is there such a thing?) a few coins of the realm, and, you too, can be the proud owner of two of Herwin's devices.

There is no charge for this idea. It's royalty free!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
wizard75d
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of wizard75d
Thank you Mr. Oslund for your input. However, I may be missing the point but I already own some fine examples of what you speak. I am looking for some direction on the best way to retrieve the TT and the bill without fumbling around in my pockets. The bill switch is performed following my opener so I cannot proceed to the next group with the TT in place. The bill makes it difficult to easily and unsuspectingly retrieve the TT. It's something I never considered in all my hours spent in practice. If it means back to practice until I can retrieve seamlessly, that's fine. But I thought I would put it out there just in case someone has a devilish way of retrieving the TT and bill that goes under the radar. Thanks again.
D
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Find a reason to get something from your pocket. Insert right hand in pocket and put thumb tip on. You can fumble around a little, because immediately after your right hand goes in your pocket, your left hand goes in your left pocket. Fumble around in there and bring out the item (Sharpie, little magic wand?). Now extract your right hand with the tt in place. This gives you plenty of time to acquire the tt, but looks like your checked your right pocket (nothing), checked your left pocket (there it is!), removed the object, and removed your right hand.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2017, wizard75d wrote:
Thank you Mr. Oslund for your input. However, I may be missing the point but I already own some fine examples of what you speak. I am looking for some direction on the best way to retrieve the TT and the bill without fumbling around in my pockets. The bill switch is performed following my opener so I cannot proceed to the next group with the TT in place. The bill makes it difficult to easily and unsuspectingly retrieve the TT. It's something I never considered in all my hours spent in practice. If it means back to practice until I can retrieve seamlessly, that's fine. But I thought I would put it out there just in case someone has a devilish way of retrieving the TT and bill that goes under the radar. Thanks again.
D

You may have >PRACTICED< the >TRICK< >>>>>BUT<<<<< YOU, OBVIOUSLY DID NOT >>>REHEARSE<< THE PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRACTICE "THE MOVES" THEN R E E A R S E "THE PERFORMANCE !!!!!!!

You need to learn HOW to ask questions!!! You did not explain your total situation. It appears to me that you are planning to use the HUNDRED DOLLAR BILL s w I t c h, in a strolling or 'walk around' situation! ("...I cannot proceed to the next group with the TT in place...")

This is a d--n good trick. I learned how it was DONE from Mike Koslovski (sp?) in the '70s, WITHOUT a TT. With some PRACTICE, and, then some REHEARSAL, I learned how DO it, WITHOUT A TT. THEN, I learned how to DO it so that it ENTERTAINED people. --THAT, IS THE IMPORTANT PART!

It is not a practical trick for strolling! (set up).

I'm retired from 70 years of performing (50, on the road, coast to coast, and, border to border, as a full time professional.)

My friend Jim, has explained the proper procedure (it's old and time tested--before audiences! It will achieve the necessary result.)
wizard75d
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of wizard75d
Thankyou gentlemen,
I am very conscientious about putting the time into practice and rehearsing something before I take it out on the road. As this is my first time gigging I am only becoming aware of some issues as they arise. I am sure reflective analysis following a performance to a real audience will always highlight areas for development. I really do appreciate any input I get from the seasoned pros. Many thanks again for all your help.
Regards,
D
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Your attitude is GOOD! My first post was intended to be humorous, plus mildly educational. The second post, obviously, was basically educational.

Just keep in mind that practice, and rehearsal, are "two different things"!

You might find Ken Weber's book, "Maximum Entertainment", well worth your time.

Absolutely! Reflective analysis is very important. For years, my old friend, Dr. Gene Anderson, would audio tape every stand up show, and, review it, on his way home. He actually counted the laughs!

BTW, I obviously used some pronouns a bit loosely in that first post. I didn't want to sound TOO erudite!

Best wishes!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Wizard75d,
I perform the bill switch close to 100 times a week. I'm lucky to have 4 restaurant gigs. I use it as an opener changing a blank piece of paper to a million dollar bill. ( which I give away)I just keep the tt loaded in my jacket pocket or vest pocket. The load rarely falls out and basically just what jimhlou stated above is how I handle it. I casually reload with extras I keep in a breast pocket. I don't keep it secured in any way, it is just loose in my pocket. Works for me.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Wiz!

When a performer does a bit, a hundred times a week, and, tips the "real work", I LISTEN!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
Wiz!

When a performer does a bit, a hundred times a week, and, tips the "real work", I LISTEN!

WOW Dick, coming from YOU that's a real compliment.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
wizard75d
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of wizard75d
Once again I am so appreciative of your time. Thank you Dick for the direction and I must get Maximum Entertainment, it has been on my 'to get list' for far too long. I am enjoying the journey to date. I have been doing Magic since I was 9 years old. It took until I was 42 to take it to the people. Better late than never. I take on board everything the working pros have to say. Experience counts for everything as far as I am concerned, so many thanks to David and Jim. I will utilise your advice.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Have you tried using a bigger TT? The regular size is, I find, too tight to get into a bill switch on the fly. A roomier one allows you to position the folded bill better.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
wizard75d
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of wizard75d
Thanks for the suggestion Ross. I have tried and tested a number of tips. Mine does fit snug. I might try and upscale and see how that works. Thanks again.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
If you have to pull out something from your TT, the material of which you TT is made, is also important.
A "hard" TT (plastic, metal) is in that case much better than a "soft" TT (rubber).
wizard75d
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of wizard75d
This is so true. I find the hard TT much better to work with for bill switch.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Happy that we could be of help! I have almost a dozen of Herwin's "things", and, find them ALL useful!
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
This thread alone is worth the price of admission. A lot of great advice. I've been using a TT for years and learned a lot from this thread thank you all .
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
I had the same problem when first starting to actually use the bill switch in performance rather than practice blindly. In practice it's easy because you usually start with the TT already on your finger. You tend to not think about the little details until you actually start to perform it for people and realize you need to fix a few things. I learned it over 20 years ago and here's what has helped me. I simply use a dark blue or black paper clip. I've also just used a sharpie and colored a regular paper clip black just so it would be less visible while clipped in the little pocket of my jeans. Once it is clipped to the inside using the paper clip it is held perfectly suspended in the pocket with the bill tightly pressed to the side of the TT. It doesn't allow the bill to expand in the TT so your finger can have a straight unobstructed path into the tip. I've never had a problem with this method. I use the jumbo paper clip because the smaller type is rather weak and like you said, can allow the TT to slip off prematurely into your pocket. The larger size is stronger. I've alse played around with the tiny version of black bulldog clips. They work very well also but I find the strength is not really necessary. Hope you work out your issues. This has been one of my favorite things to do for people.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
The paperclip is a brilliant idea great solution. I heard about it many years ago I wish I could remember where. I can't use it now because that pocket is occupied with my ox bender and marker. So I keep some tips in my case using a 35mm film canister to hold them, and requires a little tiny piece of tissue paper on the bottom of the canister to raise the TT to a comfortable position. They're hard to find these days but work amazingly well.

Dave
wizard75d
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of wizard75d
This has been a really great discussion on the use of the TT. I have decided to start my set with this so I am up and running as I reach the first group. That being said I will definitely give the jumbo paperclip a whirl. I also bought switch by John Lovick. I am making my way through it and it is so good. Lot's to take in. Man oh man I love magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » TT get ready (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL