We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Which ITR? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
the74rock
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of the74rock
Get the Kevlar ITR. It's the best.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The reel (ITR) is best for me because it retracts and, if set up properly, eliminates moving the hands.

I tried the LeClair and wasn't real keen on it.

When I first began magic I bought a IT prop.
It was IT wound around a plastic card. This fit nicely in a breast pocket. I think it was by Kennedy and was also called Animator.
Anyone familiar with this?
I may be wrong on the inventor and name.

Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
Animator sounds like LeClair.

Does anyone know anything about the new tension adjustable ITR? There's not much of a description of it on Jame's website.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
I like the Micro ITR as well.
respho
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
74 Posts

Profile of respho
Hello, the best IT tricks I know do not involve the use of an ITR.

A few years ago I made the mistake of thinking getting a lot of IT tricks and equipment (e.g. ITR) will make me an IT pro. But what really made the difference for me was a lot of practice and real performing experience.

If you want an ITR anyway, what I heard was that you shouldn't get an ITR that is too small as the tension of the IT would be too much. Right now ITRs are much cheaper than what they used to be anyway so you can just get a few and experiment with them yourself.

FYI I have the Micro ITR (4-5 inch in length).

Hi, AFAIK, there's no good IT routine that can be mastered in less than a few months.

I personally do Steve Fearson's Floating Cigarette and got the most amazing reactions ever.

The other equally amazing routine is done using LeClair's material.

Those are the two routines I've seen with my own eyes that are audience jaw droppers, but it does take you months to master them and be comfortable with them.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
For those interested, quite a few years ago I bought a booklet titled "Thread Reference" by Leo Behnke and copyrighted in 1992 by Magic City.

Interesting reading about different threads and hookups. No reel work though.

Not sure if this is available anymore.
Shawn74
View Profile
Loyal user
New Mexico
211 Posts

Profile of Shawn74
I have the Kevlar ITR that worked great for me until somehow the retraction became very slow. I tried cleaning out the hole, but that didn't take care of the problem, so I haven't used it in a while.
Hold your breath...make a wish...count to 3... and you'll be in a world of pure imagination
Willy Wonka
bluefred
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of bluefred
I prefer the standard size. It gives me more flexibility.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4242 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Slow retractions and unusually low tension could be due to the elastic band ready to snap due to heavy useage (or misuseage as the case may be).
magicmafia22
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of magicmafia22
Which one would you recommend I get, the Original thread boss ITR or Mark Allen's Underground TM?
joanmonse
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of joanmonse
No doubt. Use TM.
Sean Comer
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Sean Comer
I have an old ITR from James George and the Sorcery shop. The thing is at least 10 years old and still works. The only problem I had with this ITR is the safety pins fell off just recently. I have since retired the old ITR and now have the Micro ITR. I have never used anything else and don't have the need to do otherwise. As far as DVD's/Tapes go, I have Ammars vids but haven't really perused them much.

When I first bought my ITR from Al's Magic, it either came with or I also bought a booklet 'Floating Freely' by Steve Johnson which was a great beginning for me regarding threadwork. I'm not sure if this booklet has been expanded or it is still available but if it is you might start with that.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
AARRGGHH!!! I spoke to someone about this a while back and he gave me the name of a site where I could find some of the original ITR's but it was under a diffrent name. God I forgot the site and name of both the Fella who told me about it and the site. If you read this please PM me I forgot what it was. but I do remember something about you and the other individual didn't get along anymore.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of wally
Could I use a itr to perform k/james f/rose. if anyone has tried this with a reel please inform me which should I try. I have the video. thanks
tkgray1
View Profile
New user
thomas k gray
10 Posts

Profile of tkgray1
No

I believe kj floating rose requires slack, itr(james george)takes up slack. maybe a balloon animal with itr to mic stand would be better. my idea on this later.

if you want to hook-up to a mic impromtu try: underground thread manager II(mark allen's low tension itr)might work well, however spider pen when turned off becomes a sure fire spooler which would work and would be worth your consideration(practice a lot with dental floss, looking for thread looks stupid on stage).

a good zombie routine is a very effective floating idea for stage, its hard for a large audience to see smaller objects like a flash paper rose.

now if you just want to float a rose(close-up), that's different and an itr would work great (or you could float a flash paper rose on an itr and flash with simple lighter)

I would recommend though not floating the rose, but rather thinking along the lines of impossible, unattached movement, like making a napkin rose(michael mode type)and then letting it slowly stand up and flip over on a table if dining or in the hand if standing. using a d'lite to light up the rose also looks great. it makes a nice gift for the fairer sex.

this is just an idea that came to me, just now while thinking about it: make a balloon care-bear(like tricky the clown teaches on balloon magic made easy) ahead of time. invite the right height person from the audience, while she is on her way up grab your prepared care-bear and hook-up itr to mic stand. Explain you would like give her a present and ask her to hold the care-bear. Grab a heart shaped balloon, inflate and insert into the carebear, write something on the heart shape balloon like "thanks for coming to the show, wally, world's greatest magician and master of sleight of hand". Just hang it on the itr anchored on the mic stand. Explain you want to try something really special, maybe it will work maybe it wont(just like uri). Illuminate the back of the heart balloon(red) with a red d'lite, now the care-bear heart is glowing red while she is holding. Ask her to lower her hand, let the the balloon float for a moment as you move your hands away, slowly unhook the balloon and give her the care-bear, ask the audience to give her a hand and take your bow. this is an improvement because the method is simple and sure-fire and audience member leaves the stage with a gift.

I saw tricky the clown make that care-bear with heart balloon attached and decided to make one for my wife this week. she loved it. its a great little gift item and it will float well too.

just a couple of ideas, l've tried to deal with this same problem myself.

good luck and best regards,

tom gray
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of wally
Can a itr be used for floating rose, which one would be the best for k/james floating rose.
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
Ok. So which ITR? I have just began my venture towards learning some floaty floaty magic and Im asuming I am going to need one. I mostly do close-up but dabble with larger audiences in bigger venues. What ITR should I get I would like a high quality product that is versatile small and strong. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks. Pauly
Astonishment as Therapy...?
kvanliewpe
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of kvanliewpe
Does anyone use the Underground TM by Mark Allen. It's under 2". I haven't used it before and have had it for many years. I'm starting my work today.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3645 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I have every ITR ever made. Without a doubt, the Kevlar Pen Reel is the best.

Jim
kvanliewpe
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of kvanliewpe
Jim
Any comments on the spider pen. I received one yesterday. Kevlar Pen Reel...is it similar? What so good about it and where are they available. I really want to do spontaneous thread work. The past has been all preset.
Thanks
Ken
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Which ITR? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL