The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Best over all wallet out there? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Matt71
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Matt71
Hi folks,
I have been swimming in the world of wallets trying to decide which to buy. Some are pricey, and new ones keep cropping up. I looked through previous posts and haven't found a thread in the last year that deals with the best over all wallet out there. Espionage looks like a good option, and the wallet from scam school looks great too, but that one is Really expensive.
Has anyone found one that they would recommend? Do you find that some features you just don't use enough to justify such a multifaceted device?
Should I keep it simple or go big?
What are your thoughts?
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
The wallet you purchase should reflect your requirements. Do you need a peek wallet? A Card to Wallet? A wallet that gives you many outs for a KK type of effect?

So then, your question should be: I want to perform XYZ effect, what is the ideal wallet for that?
Matt71
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Matt71
Though I agree with your statement, your answer does nothing to assist in my search. I am aware of some of the effects that I am interested in, but it would be nice if there was a discussion about what other effects are available in the world of wallets. I would hate to put down my $150 and find myself wishing I had that one other effect.
I'm sure there are other people out there reading this that feel the same way and are hoping that some of the more experienced folks here could help with that.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2017, Matt71 wrote:
Though I agree with your statement, your answer does nothing to assist in my search. I am aware of some of the effects that I am interested in,

It's great that you are aware of the effects you're interested in. If you were not aware, you would not know. Right?
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I couldn't find a wallet that suits all my needs so I decided on using several.

I've always got a Mullica on me daily for a no palm card to wallet since I always have a deck of cards on me.

I've always got a peek wallet on me that I also use to carry a few other things including some business cards. Currently I use the Dr Jaks from Tannen's Magic. A Stealth Assasin would work well for a peek wallet too and has even more functions.

If I have a dress shirt then I also have a non-magic notebook wallet that also has a couple packet tricks.

When working close up at a gig I also (in addition to the wallets mentioned above) carry a Predator Wallet for Paul Wilson's "Psycho Killer" routine. I have a close up table set up.

When walk around/strolling I ditch the Predator and add my Kollosal Killer wallet. I also add a Forbes Portfolio wallet for an occasional card to envelope in zippered compartment, although most of the time I use my Mullica.

I gave up trying to find a Swiss army wallet that does everything and opted for a more modular approach. This works well since I can switch one wallet out for another. For instance, sometimes I will carry Gregory Wilson's Stockbroker wallet with built in out to lunch in lieu of the Dr Jaks since it also carries business cards.

I've owned just about every magic wallet available. And still have a bunch that I'll ring in once in a while. If I were to carry only one wallet besides a card to wallet then I'd go for a multi-purpose such as the Stealth Assasin, Espionage, or the Infinity. I tried that approach and found that I was always switching things out in order to accommodate different tricks. Therefore I settled on having a particular wallet set up for a couple tricks and periodically putting those wallets into the rotation.
Matt71
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Matt71
Thank you for your input MJ Marrs. It is much apreciated. So would you say that a Swiss army aproach to wallets just end up getting crowded? You mentioned having to switch things out.
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
Can't believe I only have
415 Posts

Profile of MitchC
I have several wallets, each serving a different purpose for the effect i.e. Mullicas (large and hip pocket), Himbers (large for bills, small for cards). The 'Worker's Dream' wallet (Harry Robson) is as close to the 'swiss army' concept from the wallets I've owned in the past and present.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I suppose if you're the kind of person who knows which tricks you'll carry in your wallet then having a multipurpose one such as the SAW is the way to go. This way you'll only carry one wallet and life will be simple. Theoretically you could switch out effects, such as packet tricks, with that wallet too. But I've always found it to be a hassle to switch things around. There is only so much room even in the multi-purpose wallets. The last thing you need is to fumble looking for stuff. I like having it become second nature when I reach for a wallet to know from years of experience which routines it's set up for. I recall Eugene Burger writing about how he would have his pocket organization set up to the point where he didn't have to think. Sort of a zen thing.

That's not to say that I don't find the multi-use wallets useful. On the contrary. I love my Stealth Assasin, and I use it to good effect. But I've got it set up for a few select routines that I use periodically. Especially if I am working for a group who has seen my regular sets before. Then I ring it in.
Jack Skipton
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of Jack Skipton
I always found BKM to be a very versatile wallet.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
984 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
The scam school rogue wallet is similar to the Alakazam Infinity wallet. http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13092

But the Espionage wallet seems to have even more features. http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14839

Disclaimer: I do not own any of these wallets.

I own the Real Man's Wallet. Which only has Card to Wallet function.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
984 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
I have made one or two wallets.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
984 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
I have and like Tony Miller's (Doomo) Triple Threat Wallet.
I only used the CTW function.
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Pimpernell Notecase by Peter Scarlett

Large JOL
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
MikeM
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
110 Posts

Profile of MikeM
I am considering Purchasing one of Tony Millers Wallets but would like to know a bit more about the differences between The Real Man's Speed Loader and The Speed Loader Plus.

Could anyone help in terms of the additional features and the pro's and con's of these two.

I am also curious what the "Plus" feature is of the Speed Loader Plus and whether this is carried forward to the Real Mans Speed loader.

If anyone owns both of these I would appreciate their assessment of the two from a practical standpoint. Smile
Cauan
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Cauan
Real Man's wallet is really easy to load ! For mentalist predictions you can do some use the finger thing and load on the wallet very fast and looks a normal wallet ( the only down side is that it just have 4 holes to your cards and no coins zipper ... but is cheap, good material wallet, and secretly magical ( p.s. brazilian english )
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I put the following thread together many moons ago which might be useful http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=2
MikeM
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
110 Posts

Profile of MikeM
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2017, Cauan wrote:
Real Man's wallet is really easy to load ! For mentalist predictions you can do some use the finger thing and load on the wallet very fast and looks a normal wallet ( the only down side is that it just have 4 holes to your cards and no coins zipper ... but is cheap, good material wallet, and secretly magical ( p.s. brazilian english )

Thanks Cauan appreciate your response - good to see its easy to load as the speed is what I'm after - I assume by "4 holes you mean pockets. What I am trying to appreciate is the main differences between the two wallets. By the way if you are after a good Coin purse you may like to check out Tony Millers Real Man's Coin Wallet - see http://rfaproductions.com/products/coinwallet.htm.
MikeM
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
110 Posts

Profile of MikeM
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2017, warren wrote:
I put the following thread together many moons ago which might be useful http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=2

Thanks Warren I am at this stage looking to purchase either the Speed loader Plus or the Real Man's Speed Loader. As I neither own either I am really trying to obtain some practical views from people who have used both products before finally deciding on my purchase. The piece from Doomo ratifying that he speed loader mechanics are the same was a good start.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Mike, Both the Speed loader Plus and the Real Man's Speed Loader work exactly the same in terms of loading the card into the wallet. EXACTLY!! The difference is in how the card is revealed and the inside "look" of the wallet. That is, the difference is cosmetic!

Upon opening the Speed Loader Plus you see a fairly minimalistic wallet interior. The card is removed from under a leather pocket/slot. No fuss, no mess, no bother. Mr. Miller gives you the working such that the card can end up paper clipped within the folds of a bill in that pocket.

Upon opening the Real Man's Speed Loader you see leather flap covering an ID window (a la the Real Man's Wallet). Lift the flap and reveal the card.

In both cases the card is removed toward the fold of the wallet.

Look at the photos on the site and decide which look and which reveal you like most. That's it. Honestly, it is really a matter of taste.

Did I mention that they both load exactly the same? Yep, the same method, working, speed and ease.

If you can't decide you can either flip a coin (you won't be disappointed with either waller) OR buy them both, decide which works best for you and sell the other.

To muddy the water a bit, I'd say wait till Mr. Miller has his RFA wallet back in stock. It adds an element of apparent impossibility (the card ending up in a snapped closed compartment inside a zippered closed wallet! SWEET!!).

Which do I own and use? The Speed Loader Plus.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Best over all wallet out there? (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL