The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pick a Coin by Danny Archer (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
See it here: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S23305

Even though this trick has been around for a long time, I am not familiar with it. For those that are, is it worth, in your opinion, the $45.00 price tag?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
I believe Lucky Dip by Wayne Dobson was also priced around $45.00. It is the exact same effect. I really like a lot of Danny's stuff I just wander what advantages this has over Lucky Dip?

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
It is a brilliant routine. He is supplying everything you need (except the extra coins) to perform the routine, so it is worth it. The routine is also on his Essential Classics DVD set (one of the best bargains in magic), and was taught in his live lectures.

Tony
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 22, 2017, RNK wrote:
I believe Lucky Dip by Wayne Dobson was also priced around $45.00. It is the exact same effect. I really like a lot of Danny's stuff I just wander what advantages this has over Lucky Dip?

RNK

As far as I know, Danny's predates Wayne's.
I learned it originally in a live lecture of Danny's about 2 decades ago.

Tony
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Is the routine shown on the demo what you are referring to Tony? Just wandering because it's looks to be a standard routine just as Lucky Dip? Not trying to stir the pot because as I stated, I do really like a lot of Danny's material. I just don't see anything special about this but I could be missing something?

Thanks,
RNK
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 22, 2017, RNK wrote:
Is the routine shown on the demo what you are referring to Tony? Just wandering because it's looks to be a standard routine just as Lucky Dip? Not trying to stir the pot because as I stated, I do really like a lot of Danny's material. I just don't see anything special about this but I could be missing something?

Thanks,
RNK

Danny created it and had it in his lecture for over 20 years, should he stop selling it because someone else later decided to market it as theirs, or failed to do proper research before marketing it?

When Danny performed it for our club, it was a nice routine. A coin was borrowed, signed, and put into a pail (as I recall) with what appeared to be 100 other coins, they were shaken and mixed, Danny was able to plunge his hand into the pail and find the coin, sight unseen.

I do like the idea of the bag instead of the original pail, it makes it easier to travel with.

For the price you get his routine, the bag, and the 2 things required to make it work.

Tony
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Thanks for the response Tony!

RNK
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Not sure if this is right or not, but I was told that Wayne Dobsons Lucky Dip works differently that Danny Archers Pick a Coin.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 22, 2017, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Not sure if this is right or not, but I was told that Wayne Dobsons Lucky Dip works differently that Danny Archers Pick a Coin.

I don't know, I never bought it as I had the original version of the effect from Danny.

Tony
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Quote:
See it here: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S23305

Even though this trick has been around for a long time, I am not familiar with it. For those that are, is it worth, in your opinion, the $45.00 price tag?

To avoid confusion, the link in the above post is to the brand new video based product of this effect made available at Penguin yesterday, 21 August 2017.

Tony
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:

Judging from the demo and being in magic for a while I would say yes. They are slightly different. One component is different to "find" the coin.

RNK
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I just saw an ad for this effect. The effect is cute, but it doesn't seem like an effect that I would do for adults.

Further, even though I don't have this effect, nor do I know *his* method; I would think that any children's magician would know how to do this effect, in a "blink". Hence it doesn't seem worth $45.

See the link below for some previous comments on this.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
280 Posts

Profile of Martello
Perhaps it's just me, but in the video, a coin is first selected among many other coins by the spectator. He then signs the coin and it goes bck in with the other coins and is found.In the explanation, there is no mention about how he got the spectator to pick the gimmicked coin in the first place? Someone asks this in the video and Danny Archer does not give an answer. He just glosses over it. Any clue?

Arthur
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2017, Martello wrote:
Perhaps it's just me, but in the video, a coin is first selected among many other coins by the spectator. He then signs the coin and it goes bck in with the other coins and is found.In the explanation, there is no mention about how he got the spectator to pick the gimmicked coin in the first place? Someone asks this in the video and Danny Archer does not give an answer. He just glosses over it. Any clue?

Arthur

Uhhhh, aren't we magicians?

Here let me look at the date on this one. Yea, ok, it should be ok. Here, sign it. Go ahead then, throw it back in the bag.
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
280 Posts

Profile of Martello
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2017, John C wrote:
Quote:

Arthur

Here let me look at the date on this one. Yea, ok, it should be ok. Here, sign it. Go ahead then, throw it back in the bag.

I'm not certain you understand what I'm saying. The spectator picks a coin out of the bag of coins to start the trick and throws it back unsigned. There is no way to know which coin he picked among any of the coins in the bag. Of course the second part where the coin is signed is clear, but the first part is not at all clear nor is it explained and being a magician (I have been for more than 50 years ) has nothing to do with it unless you assume that magicians are the guardians of every secret ever thought of.

Arthur
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Arthur

I'm not certain you understand what I'm saying. The spectator picks a coin out of the bag of coins to start the trick and throws it back unsigned. There is no way to know which coin he picked among any of the coins in the bag. Of course the second part where the coin is signed is clear, but the first part is not at all clear nor is it explained and being a magician (I have been for more than 50 years ) has nothing to do with it unless you assume that magicians are the guardians of every secret ever thought of.

Arthur

I'm not sure what needs to be explained. The first phase is a light/humorous phase which allows for the selection of any coin, a lot of byplay, and the introduction of what is needed to make the 2nd phase work and you to locate the signed coin.

If you don't want the byplay, you can have them select a coin, toss it in the bag, reach in and remove the coin saying "this is your coin." To prove it, let's do it again, sign the coin this time, toss it back in the bag and give is a shake...

Tony
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
280 Posts

Profile of Martello
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2017, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Arthur

Arthur

I'm not sure what needs to be explained. The first phase is a light/humorous phase which allows for the selection of any coin, a lot of byplay, and the introduction of what is needed to make the 2nd phase work and you to locate the signed coin.

If you don't want the byplay, you can have them select a coin, toss it in the bag, reach in and remove the coin saying "this is your coin." To prove it, let's do it again, sign the coin this time, toss it back in the bag and give is a shake...

Tony

So then, the first coin that the spectator picks from the bag could be incorrect since there is now way of knowing what the coin is until the gimmick is introduced and the coin is given to the spectator to sign? In the demo, he picks the same coin 2 times. Is this just a coincidence?

Arthur
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

I'm not going to discuss more in an open forum, this is a marketed effect.
Question, how do you know it is the same coin? Other than Danny saying it was, there is no way to determine until after it is marked.
The bag is full of quarters, and for the most part, they all look alike. You may want to watch the demo again. Smile

I love this routine and have been doing it since Danny introduced it in his On Target lecture many, many years ago.

Tony
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
For more than this if you don't get it or can't suss it out you will need to buy it. It's worth it.
trickiewillie
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
128 Posts

Profile of trickiewillie
You can also buy Danny's Penguin lecture where he explains it, and other effects.Of course you don't get the gimmicks but a seasoned magician will almost certainly havr at least one of the gimmicks if not all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pick a Coin by Danny Archer (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL