The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Attaboy Review? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
edseas2
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of edseas2
Strangely I have never seen this performed so I know very little about it.

Simply put, it seems like there are 2 versions - Abbott's and one from India (supposedly not as good).

The effect sounds terrific but what do others think of performing it before an adult audience?

I usually do predictions, some card stuff - pretty mainstream.

Thank you.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
What is this?
Sven
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Could you describe the effect or provide a link to it?

Thanks in advance.
edseas2
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of edseas2
In order that I not getting in trouble for violating any sort of copywright, this link is from Martin's Magic Collection:

http://www.qualitymagic.com/?html=large&......key=1170
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
I saw this effect demonstrated like six months ago. Not my kind of thing anyway, but it’s nice.

If I recall correctly, a volunteer pics a card, bury it into the deck, you put de deck “in the hands” of the bell boy and he produces the very same card.

The prop is a new version of an old one. Looks ok (I think wolud be nice to work it a little bit to make it look older), but seems more like a curiosity than powerful magic.

This, of course, is relative.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
There is a version in T.a. Waters "Mind, Myth and Magic" that has you using your outside side jacket pocket and your ouside pocket at the front of your jacket.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I too have wondered about this effect. It appears more for the younger crowd (spectator wise).
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3456 Posts

Profile of Julie
The Attaboy is a good effect, it's just the prop that's outdated. Having said that, there's a NEW version out that's taller than the original and is in the design of a sorceror/he looks like someone from Harry Potter! These are made by Fairchild and not sold directly, but you can get it from Abbott's (YES!) and possibly other dealers.

To make it an even better effect (you can even fool "Magicians) check John Mendoza's handling in the book of John (#1, I think). With a minor modification of John's routine this old trick becomes fresh and appealing. I use a Harry Potter deck produced out of a Harry Potter drawer box. Dress the youngster as Harry complete with cape, hat, glasses and wand (from the costume store). I haven't used the Disney cards, yet, but I have 'em ready to go "one of these days".
This version is worth a second look!
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Julie,

It should be noted that Joe Fairchild now has his own website, and does indeed sell this effect direct, as well as many other very cool items for both kids shows and sdult shows. Go to http://www.fairchildmagic.com and check it out.

As an aside, I used to tour with Joe as a musician in the band, (yes, the show had a live seven piece band !) and if anyone knows how to design props for the working magician, it is Mr. Fairchild. His extensive days of touring and working for all age crowds have led to the devlopment of some great pieces.

Mark Pettey aka ROBBiE the RiNGMASTER
Naples, FL
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3456 Posts

Profile of Julie
Mark

A couple of those items look interesting. I couldn't get the description of the Banner Nest of Boxes to come-up, so I e-mailed him.

Julie
magickdabid--uk
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of magickdabid--uk
Didn't Docc Hilford have an up-to-date version of this, minus the "prop", just you, a deck and some clients.......

Dave
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
Quote:
On 2004-04-13 20:08, Thoughtreader wrote:
There is a version in T.a. Waters "Mind, Myth and Magic" that has you using your outside side jacket pocket and your ouside pocket at the front of your jacket.

Had my share of pain in making that one but I did. A great idea from Mind, Myth & Magick. Another one I saw, not the same thing but close as concept, was ATTAGIRL by Docc Hilford. It was a gaffed deck allowing a three phase effect
spook
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
150 Posts

Profile of spook
I think the prop is goofy and dumb but there's a great routine in 'Stewart James In Print: The First Fifty Years' that ain't bad at all. Seems to me that the James routine paired with Waters' pocket rigging would look ok.
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
723 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
Gaeton Bloom has an effect in his 2002 "Ideas" lecture notes called Clin D'oeil. He has created a completely different look for the Hughes Attaboy effect. Worth looking into especially if you don't like the idea of the large figure prop.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4975 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1513 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
David Williamson performed a hilarious version using driver licenses from men in the audience. The basic effect was that David needed to find the license that matched the father of the boy.

Ron
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Great method, dated, hokey prop for ADULT use. But I have seen versions that were practical for adults. Years ago saw Ray Roberts of Yorkshire using one he made which just looked like a simple undecorated holder for cards. He and his brother when doing the working mens clubs (that's many years ago)incorporated it with an add-a-number effect.

As mentioned earlier by Spook, the James routine is good too.

Like the Spelling Bee prop, it was useful, with an alphabet deck, for personalising effects. Anyone using it to reveal just a playing card was under-using the prop.

Somewhere in one of my early booklets I had a routine with one designed to catch out magicians familiar with the prop, (not intended for lay use) where I moved cards from the TOP holder to the bottom Smile.

The Fairchild version mentioned above looks a good one for kids. And you can do mentalism for older kids of course.

Paul.

P.S. Checked out Mats link above and I see Abbott's also do a wizard version.
carmean
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of carmean
The T.A. Waters "Mind, Myth and Magic" version is great! Made it up and works like a dream.
glowball
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN
200 Posts

Profile of glowball
I just discovered this thread and want to elaborate on enriqueenriquez's description. The normal way this effect is presented is that a signed card is returned to the deck and deck is placed in the lower holder backs out. The magician removes cards one at a time from the lower holder (backs of card toward audience) and places them in the top holder. The spectator says "stop" at any time just before the magician places the card he is holding into the top holder. The magician turns the card around (no switches) and it is the signed card. Works 100% of the time. Can be done with several signed cards. The key point is that the card is in the magician's hand when the spectator says "stop".
glowball
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN
200 Posts

Profile of glowball
Several have mentioned the out-of-date bellboy image. To address this I am making my own Atta-xxxxx with a generic body and inter changable heads of Einstein, Spock, Nostradamus, Yoda, Darth, Obie1 all who possess mental powers to "influence" people to do what they want. It could be presented like this "No matter how hard you try to defeat Darth his power of the force will overwhelm you". When presented as a challange many adults become interested.

When done with 3 signed cards and 3 spectators this effect becomes very entertaining for adults especially with the Darth head. Depending on the audience you would magnetically attach the appropriate head to the attaboy before the show. Of course you would use "Mind Meld" patter for Spock. Also the Talosian head could be used at a Star Tr. convention.

For Nostradamus: "He knows in advance where you will say stop". For Einstein: "Using his enormous mental powers he has calculated where you will say stop". You could have a Lord of the Rings character and a bright gold circle (the ring) painted around the top holder and then use patter about the ring having a powerful effect on the mind. You could use Santa "He knows if you've been bad or good and he knows where you will say stop". Maybe a Harry P. character. You could use a Fortue Teller image etc. etc. I may add a couple of blinking L.E.D.s in the eyes for more audience appeal.

I think that Darth would be the most recognizable for everyone so his head will be the first one I make. Einstein would work well for a sophisticated audience.

I'm sure there are many more famous "mental" people/aliens that could be used.

What can think of? Please post.
Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Attaboy Review? (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL