The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Riser/Loomis Micro Chop Cup » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have used a chop cup in my act for many years. In fact, I have an old Wheatley "Master Cup," which belonged to one of my old magic teachers years ago.

I have purchased several items from James Riser in recent months, so it was almost inevitable that I would consider ordering the Riser/Loomis Micro Chop Cup. This is advertised as the smallest chop cup ever manufactured. Believe me, it is.

It comes in two models -- copper or stainless steel. Or, you can do as I did, and order a combination set that has both cups with it. The combination set includes three balls for the chop cups (1 regular and 2 gimmicked), four larger load balls of two different sizes, a stainless steel pocket flask to carry liquid in for the finale and a pair of special gimmicks to use to vanish the cup at the end of the routine.

The cups and the flask have their own drawstring bags to keep them nice and shiny.

You also get the Loomis Micro Chop Cup routine.

This routine is geared specifically for the walkaround performer. It is intended to be performed entirely in the hands -- no tables, nothing like that. It's an excellent routine. If you can juggle, there is a neat alternate ending.

But let me tell you about the props, specifically the cups. James Riser never disappoints me when it comes to his quality. These tiny cups are beautiful! The stainless steel one looks like a very small shot glass. It would be perfectly suited for someone doing a bar act.

Most importantly -- the "work" is completely balanced. When Rings 'n' Things manufactured their first copper chop cups back in the 1970's, they had a lot of trouble with them. The copper affected the gimmick in such a way that the ball often failed to appear under the cup. You just couldn't get that sucker to work!!!! The Riser/Loomis Cups do not have that problem at all.

And the nice thing about it is that they take up very little room in the pockets.

To view the cups, go to http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/Micro/CupOptions.html

You will be glad you did!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1319 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I am a HUGE Riser/Loomis fan and these are very nice!!! I do the extreme close-up routine pretty much everywhere I go and right under the spectator's nose and it never fails to get a huge reaction!!!

Personally, I own 2 of the copper cups, 4 of the stainless steel cups and a ton of those little balls in all of the available colors because, sadly, this will be the last year they will be in production.
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
326 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
I've just started working with the micro cup and think its fab for walkaround, but would prefer something a little bigger for tables. Dennis Loomis did mention that he was working on a slightly larger cup, for a in the hands routine. Just wondered if there's any more info on this.

I'd also be interested to hear of any other small chop cups. There is one listed on the Van Dokkum site, but without balls - I've always thought the cup and balls need to brought together for optimum performance.
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Thanks to all of you for the kind words. It's nice when our work is appreciated. Most of the compliments should go to Jim... he's the craftsman. But I am proud of my routine and it has received lots of positive feedback.

To D.J.,
It's Jim Riser that's working on some other sizes of Chop Cups. I agree that a larger cup is often more visible. Our Micro Chop was designed for strolling work and doesn't require a table. It's BEST for small groups. Jim will be coming out with some other sizes of a new design of Chop Cup. Don't ask when... these things take time and Jim is a perfectionist. He won't release them until they are RIGHT.

There have been many, many designs of Chop Cups over the years. And lots of them just did not work reliably. Some were too strong, some too weak, some varied all over the place. Jim's work as they SHOULD. Always. I know, because I do all of the shipping and do a final check of every cup that goes out. Jim checks them first, and then ships them to me. But I do a final check so that we can be sure that the customers are getting what they pay for.

I can also recommend the little Chop Cups that Auke van
Dokkum makes. I saw them in Las Vegas. I just ordered a very small one for myself, with a matching solid cup. I inquired about the color of the balls and he said he's shipping me red balls. So, apparently he now does supply the balls. I did not have a chance to work with the Cups in Vegas, so when I get them, I'll find out for myself how well they work. The van Dokkum Cups, both Chop and Regular Cups and Balls Cups, are not spun, like the Riser Cup, but are turned. And, they are even more expensive than the Loomis/Riser Cups.
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5697 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Hat's off to you Dennis. I regard you for generating healthy and fair competition.

Keep it up!

Smile
Narendra Singh (India)
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I have the combo set as well. I have played around with them, but I haven't got to a point where I feel comfortable enough to perform with them yet.

I thought I heard Dennis was going to release a DVD of the routine. I would really like to get one as I find it easier to learn from video. Any word on this?
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1319 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Quote:
On 2004-04-12 16:11, D J Hawkins wrote:
I've just started working with the micro cup and think its fab for walkaround, but would prefer something a little bigger for tables. Dennis Loomis did mention that he was working on a slightly larger cup, for a in the hands routine. Just wondered if there's any more info on this.

I'd also be interested to hear of any other small chop cups. There is one listed on the Van Dokkum site, but without balls - I've always thought the cup and balls need to brought together for optimum performance.

Both micro chop cups are beautiful with magnets of PERFECT strength which is rare. Like Dennis mentioned, these cups were engineered to be performed in the palm of your hand.

If you are looking for a cup that is a little larger, check out Ickle Pickle and Morrissy mini chop cups. These are cheaper but beautiful in their own rights.

Van Dokkum's mini chop cups are gorgeous but pricy. Also, the design is slightly different than most in that the cup contains a metal plate at it's base and does not contain a magnet. Instead, the balls must be magnetized to work with the cup. I've found Ickle Pickle's 1/4" balls to work perfectly.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Yes, there will be a DVD of my routine. But don't hold your breath... it's going to be a while. I'm working on a new DVD about the Loomis Doll House right now. Then several others are in the planning stages, some more of my own and some I'll be producing for other performers.
In the mean time, Scott, I'm willing to help in any way I can. Feel free to email me with questions. Or, put them in this thread, which I'll check from time to time.

Dennis Loomis

UPDATE: April 30, 2004

Received the van Dokkum Mini Chop Cup with matching solid cup. They are just gorgeous... things of beauty, really. I do wish that the ball was a bit stronger... and I'll be trying the cup with some other balls to get a little better balance. But basically I'm thrilled and can't wait to start working on my routine for the switch in of the solid cup. Basically it will utilize the Tamiriz crossing the gaze switch as I go for the bag which I'll pocket when I first get out the cup. But, the second load ball will not be produced until the switch has been made.
The van Dokkum Mini cup is not as small as the Riser/Loomis Micro Chops... it will produce a golfball for the final load. I may get Auke to make a special smaller one for me later.
Dennis Loomis

P.S. All of the Gold Plated Micro Chop sets have now been sold. I might do one more run of a dozen in the late summer or fall if there appear to be customers. Contact me for details if you want to go on a waiting list.
Denny
Itinerant Montebank
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have a set of the Van Dokkum mini cups. If you want what I consider the best load ball for these cups, it would be a Fakini golf ball. The reason is that the ball is soft, so it doesn't talk, and it still looks like a normal golf ball.

The second best ball for this is called "Itty Bitty Balls." These are available from pet stores. They look like tennis balls.

The third best is the "Almost Golf" practice golf ball. They are solid foam balls -- non-compressible -- but with a soft enough surface that they don't talk as much as a regular golf ball.

This past Monday, I did a demo at the local IBM ring where I showed four different sets of miniature cups. As I demo'ed each set, I also showed what kinds of balls came with them and what kinds of balls fit in as final loads. I was using a 2 foot by 3 foot closeup mat that I had made from automobile headliner material. When I finished, I had 12 cups lined up across the front of this mat. The center cup of each set had a load ball on top of it.

Then I lifted each cup and showed that I had loaded each one as I was doing the demo. It got a very strong reaction.

You can't go wrong with the James Riser products or the Van Dokkum products. Both are excellent.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
432 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
I have got my set yesterday , this is pure quality ,

I have also the Porper Cups and Balls and a regular and mini set of van Dokkum's C&B , so I can tell ;-),
I defenitly gonna buy a Riser set of C&B for my small collection of magic props .
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To Peter,
I'm really glad that you like your Loomis/Riser Micro Chop Cups. Thanks for your business.

To Bill,
I love your idea of using the Fakini Golf Balls. I even have a set kicking around in my storage facility. Just when I was feeling really clever... you remind me that I can't think of everything!

I had my Riser Tradition set of Cups Gold-Plated and I really love the look. I'm also waiting for Auke to finish a set of the traditionals in stainless steel for me. Guess I'm just a sucker for quality props. Maybe I can come up with a six cup routine? Smile

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Dennis what happened to the promised nickle plated version of your chop cups? I was wating to purchase them.oblique
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Jim Riser was going to produce some Nickle Plated Micro Chop Cups, but finally decided against it. If you have a Copper Micro Chop, you can probably get it done yourself. I've a good place to get Gold Plating Done, and have a friend in the Detroit area that has contact with a good Nickle Plating place.

For any of you that have not heard, Jim Riser has decided to stop making the Loomis/Riser Micro Chop Cups soon. He is producing a final batch of 36 (although he's sick right now and it may be a little while before he's back to work.) Right now, 20 of those sets have been ordered, so 16 remain. We are only selling the Combo Set of the Copper AND Stainless Stee Cupos with a Copper Knock Out Disk. To get on the list for one of these, visit my web site which is in the sig file below. When these are gone, there will not be any more produced.

Thanks to so many members of the Magic Café that have purchased these and also for all of the positive feedback. We've shipped hundreds of these, all over the world, and have had no negatives comments at all.

Happy New Year.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1319 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Both cups are really something. I'm sure glad I stocked up on Riser micro chop cups and balls early in the year.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
My suggestion to any magician who hasn't purchased this yet is to run, don't walk.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Larry,

I took your advice and jumped on it. These have been on my wish list for quite some time. I sped over to Dennis's site and placed an order. I hope I acted quickly enough.

Ken
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Ken, if you don't like it, I'll buy it from you! I could always use a back-up.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Ken,
Your order was received in good shape. You had the foresight to order some spare balls, which was good thinking. I'm going to talk to Jim Riser about producing a supply of extra balls. All current owners might be well advised to order some spare balls since they are fairly easy to lose in walk around.
Right now, there are 15 sets left not spoken for. If you're still thinking about this, all I can say is don't wait too long. We were at 48 available sets a month ago.
The Riser Loomis Micro Chop Cups will not be produced after this final batch. Jim Riser is not feeling too well, but we're hoping and praying that he will be in good shape soon and able to work in his shop.
To order the Micro Chops... visit my site. The URL is below in my sig file.
Also, check out http://www.jamesriser.com to see many other great sets of Cups and Chop Cups and other High Quality Magic. James Riser is one of a handful of true craftsmen making magic today.
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
WayneNZ
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
965 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Hope Jim get better real soon.

Cant wait to get my hands on this set.
Its been on my "must order " list for so long.
AS soon as I heard this was the final run ,I
jumped on them.

best
Wayne McEwan
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Larry

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll be holding out to these beauties and passing them on to my son when he's ready....

Ken
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Riser/Loomis Micro Chop Cup » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL