The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Movies with magic in them (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Jax
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
170 Posts

Profile of Jax
'The Recruit' with Al Pacino and Colin Farrell - Pacino does a torn and restored newspaper !
whitelephant
View Profile
New user
Jerusalem
97 Posts

Profile of whitelephant
Quote:
On 2004-04-26 20:05, avimagic wrote:
Star Wars (don't they use a force in that one?)

He did not say that...
drink water...
Blackpool
View Profile
New user
Kingston, Ontario
31 Posts

Profile of Blackpool
Nightmare Alley
The Amazing Blackpool
Magician ~ Mental Illusionist ~ Hypnotist
Blackpool@KingstonMagic.com
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "Terror Train" yet.

In "Terror Train," a class of seniors are having their graduation night party on a train, but someone is going around murdering the students. As part of the entertainment on the train, there is a magician who entertains them.

Playing the part of the magician is none other than a very young David Copperfield.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-04-22 13:01, whitelephant wrote:
Johnt depp does a coin roll in Pirates of the Carabien(sp?)...

Actually his computer generated hand does.

This isn't a movie...but in the final Episode of "Freaks and Geeks" (my favorite show), there is a humorous situation where a disco dancer performs plenty of magic. Appearing Cane from Silk, Card productions, etc....while dancing to some disco.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I don't know about flourishes or anything but one of my favorite lines in a magic type of movie is from "Magic" when Anthony Hopkins yells at Anne Margaret telling her to concentrate, CONCENTRATE! Your'e not concentrating enough!!! As he is trying desperately to divine her card.
It cracks me up everytime I see it and I am just waiting for the opportune moment to spring that one on an unsuspecting spectator or fellow magician who I may be showing a card trick to and he tries to foul it up!

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
Having Wonderful Crime...magician murdered for overcharging...exposes sub trunk
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
Dayanara
View Profile
New user
Michigan
64 Posts

Profile of Dayanara
Well, it's not a movie, but Nickelodeon's "Drake and Josh" (a TV show) has magic. Josh does magic as a hobby.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
"Mask of Diljon" (c. 1940's?) has a few tricks in it including Chair Suspension and Zombie.

John Calvert's, "Devil's Cargo" has much magic in it, including appearing ducks, and cigarette manipulations.

"Turnaround" has Eddie Albert as the patriarch magician with Doug McKeon as his grandson, an up and coming magician. Lots of magic here.

"A-Haunting-We-Will-Go" with Laurel and Hardy had much magic with Dante.

"The Ranger, the Cook and a Hole in the Sky" has a good card sequence by Ricky Jay.

There are actually many more that I have seen, but I am shooting from the hip here and can't recall them all now.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I can't believe no one has cited "Penn and Teller Get Killed." There is a lot of magic in this film. Some of the best is when Penn says to Teller, "Show them why we hate magic," and Teller puts on this fey smile and starts mincing around producing silks.

Yours,

Paul
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7435 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I saw "Penn and Teller get Killed" many years ago, so my memory is a little foggy.

Doesn't Teller walk into a feeding flock of pigeons in the park, startle them, and reach out and catch one? I thought, people will never know how he did that. They'll think he really reached out and caught one. What a brilliant use of dove work, a natural application!

BTW, in the beginning scenes of Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban, one of the magic tricks that are performed (non camera trickery) is that someone vanishes a Nielsen bottle off a table, when wiping the table off with a cloth, in the scene in the pub. At least, that's what I saw. Smile

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Donald,

Also, who can forget the stage act scene in which Teller's failure to escape results in a bunch of big drill bits driving through his body. In the interest of good taste, at the last minute a modest white screen pops up around the device and is promptly splattered with blood.

As an audience member has been lowering a rope the whole time following Penn's instructions, the responsibility is suddenly on them. How could they have just blindly followed instructions?

To me, this routine sort of summed up the whole middle part of the twentieth century.

Yours,

Paul
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
The Chiodo brothers' "Killer Klowns From Outer Space!" It has great set-up lines as well:
"You're not going to make a dummy out of me!"
"What are you boys going to do with those pies?"
"What are you gonna do... knock my block off?"
It's my camp classic favorite.
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
"On golden pond" the whole film was magic

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
"Brother From Another Planet"... a kid on a bus does a routine that, if not Sam the Bellhop, darned similar. (Been a long time since I've seen it.)
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2755 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Television again, "McMillian and Wife" had an episode with a deranged magician as did "Knight Rider" (the latter being a very young Lance Burton.)

There's also one plot that got retred three times. "Burke's Law" had a magician's convention where a magician did an endurance test, placed in a metal coffin emerged in a swimming pool. When he's brought out, he's been shot dead! They reused this plot for the pilot of "Blacke's Magic" and again in the remake of "Burke's Law." (I don't remember if there were any plot changes from 1st Burke's to Blacke's, but from 1st Burke's to 2nd Burke's they made an odd decision. In the first story, the magician was killed because he was going to expose the murderer's past. In the second one, he'd gotten off on a drunk driving charge that had resulted in a death, and the murder thought he was extracting justice!)
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
"The Defenders" had a segment in which a magician dies via an underwater escape stunt. As a spoiler: the investigators conclude it was a high-profile suicide.

"Columbo" once had a segment where he matched wits with a murderer/magician, played by Jack Cassidy.

In 1972 there was a TV movie (unsold series pilot) called "Escape," which starred Christopher George as an escape artist named Cammeron Steele. It was sort of a specialized precursor to Bill Bixby's series "The Magician."

Then there was Vincent Price's thriller, "The Mad Magician."

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Oh, and the dubbed Czech (?) film, "Hanussen," about the infamous German mystic who was murdered by the Gestapo after he 'predicted' the Reichstag fire.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Great Blackwell
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
58 Posts

Profile of The Great Blackwell
Who handled the card work for Paul Newman's character before he joins the card game on the train in "The Sting?" Was it Scarne? Thanks!!
-Dave in Minneapolis

"Never trust anyone in a wedding dress, especially a woman!"
-Sam Malone
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
I vaguely recall a film called "Quicker Than the Eye" which involved a James-Bond style Illusionist played by Ben Gazzara. Been too many years since I've seen it, though.

"Waiting for the Light" features Shirley Maclaine as a birthday party Magicienne...presenting a classic sawing in half, but complete with blood a'la Richiardi. Needless to say, the kids freaked.

Don't forget Billy McComb's appearance in "Lord of Illusions."

Didn't River Phoenix vanish from a box at the beginning of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?"

If we go back further, Laurel and Hardy did a film with Dante' that featured magic...and Houdini did some film shorts, himself.

"Three Little Words" features Red Skelton and Fred Astaire as songwriters Kalmar & Ruby. Skelton does some magic in that one...and in his first TV shows, Red played a character that was a bumbling magician.

"Ghostbusters" used an Aga Levitation to raise Sigourney Weaver off the bed. And although not presented as magic per se, The early "Nightmare on Elm Street" films did many of their special effects live due to budget constraints and utilized magician's principles. In "Poltergeist III" all of the effects were also done live using magical concepts. (Some really cool mirror stuff in there, too.)

"Just You and Me, Kid" features George Burns as a retired Vaudeville magician, if memory serves. I seem to recall Brooke Shields being levitated to the ceiling to hide her at one point. Carl Ballantine also makes an appearance in that one...I remember his magic on the McHale's Navy TV show, too.

And although not a theatrically released film, Doug Henning filmed a version of "The Magic Show" after the show closed on Broadway. The illusions from the show are there (most of them) and some of his later work was substituted for the others. Just to have his wonderful work archived on DVD is great. It's got a special spot in my collection.

A film that SHOULD feature some magic is "Smoke & Mirrors," a project that has been in production since 2001 but is still on hold. It's based on the life of Robert Houdin and stars Michael Douglas as Houdin and Catherine Zeta-Jones as his wife, Collette.

There's also a rumor of a film called "The Magician's Wife" starring Geoffrey Rush...but only a rumor.

Dan Wolfe, aka. "The Amazing EARL"
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Movies with magic in them (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL