The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Movies with magic in them (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
francisco
View Profile
Loyal user
Coolest guy in the café
267 Posts

Profile of francisco
Quote:
On 2004-04-20 17:37, Reis O'Brien wrote:
I think there was some magic in the Harry Potter movies.

argh! I was scrolling down this thread hoping no-one had said that - I wanted to be the good guy this time! il win next time mr Reis

-Francisco
'When you steal one trick, they call it plagiarism. When you steal many - they call it research.'

[Corinda, 13 steps to mentalism]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-10-08 23:20, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
"The Defenders" had a segment in which a magician dies via an underwater escape stunt. As a spoiler: the investigators conclude it was a high-profile suicide.

"Columbo" once had a segment where he matched wits with a murderer/magician, played by Jack Cassidy.

In 1972 there was a TV movie (unsold series pilot) called "Escape," which starred Christopher George as an escape artist named Cammeron Steele. It was sort of a specialized precursor to Bill Bixby's series "The Magician."

I saw that pilot. Even as a kid, I had to wonder why the gangsters thought tying up the world's greatest escape artist, upside down in a strait jacket would have any real effect!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-10-09 11:38, AmazingEARL wrote:
"Waiting for the Light" features Shirley Maclaine as a birthday party Magicienne...presenting a classic sawing in half, but complete with blood a'la Richiardi. Needless to say, the kids freaked.

You reminded me of "Two On A Guillotine" where Connie Stevens plays the daughter of a magician who inherits his house when he's declared dead after having gone insane at the "mysterious" death of his wife during their act.
Quote:

Didn't River Phoenix vanish from a box at the beginning of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?"

Yes. There was a "magician's caboose" at the end of the circus train sequence.

Quote:
"Ghostbusters" used an Aga Levitation to raise Sigourney Weaver off the bed.

I always wondered exactly how they did that. It didn't look like your average "special effect."
Quote:
"Just You and Me, Kid" features George Burns as a retired Vaudeville magician, if memory serves. I seem to recall Brooke Shields being levitated to the ceiling to hide her at one point. Carl Ballantine also makes an appearance in that one...I remember his magic on the McHale's Navy TV show, too.

He (Ballatine) also appeared on Harry Anderson's "Night Court" as a desreputable magician who'd been Harry's idol in his youth.

Quote:
And although not a theatrically released film, Doug Henning filmed a version of "The Magic Show" after the show closed on Broadway. The illusions from the show are there (most of them) and some of his later work was substituted for the others. Just to have his wonderful work archived on DVD is great. It's got a special spot in my collection.

Yes! Although their changing of the plot to remove the "revenge" angles and the dropping of various songs, replacing them with songs with a "magic" theme seriously cheesed me off!
Quote:

A film that SHOULD feature some magic is "Smoke & Mirrors," a project that has been in production since 2001 but is still on hold. It's based on the life of Robert Houdin and stars Michael Douglas as Houdin and Catherine Zeta-Jones as his wife, Collette.

There's also a rumor of a film called "The Magician's Wife" starring Geoffrey Rush...but only a rumor.

Is it Geoffrey Rush now? I'd heard Sean Connery was interested in that script which deals with Houdin's trip to Afghanistan to help quell the revolt. (Fictious names and events of course and the magician doesn't come out very well in the original book.)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
"Even as a kid, I had to wonder why the gangsters thought tying up the world's greatest escape artist, upside down in a strait jacket would have any real effect!"

You got that right, Mandrake. A bullet to the brain would have been much more reliable.

As one movie critic said about the Bruce Lee kung fu movies: "Why don't they just SHOOT the little blighter?!?"

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Ah, yes..."Two on a Guillotine;" Caesar Romero as the Great Duquesne. I've seen that on TV a couple times.
I have an old copy of "Famous Monsters of Filmland" with stills from the film.
I loved 'Duke's' house.

Steve
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Just viewed Shade today and it's nothing but card-handling magic!!!
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
Caesar Romaro played the Great Randini in Charley Chan on Treasure Island. The villan was Dr. Zodiac.
There is a lot of magic in both versions of West of Zanzabar.
Of course there is the movie Magic.
There is a war time Roy Rogers movie where Roy operates a Thayer Dr.Q induction turbin for a sideshow mind reader.
Almost all Orson Wells later films contain some magic.
The Kay kisser,Bella Lagosi,Peter Lorre clasic You'll Find Out is suspiciouly to a Great Merlani plot, but I've never found any mention of Clayton Royson in any credits.
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

And then you have David Bamberg (Fu Manchu) who made several mystery films, and Bela Lugosi as a magician in one of his films with the East Side Kids.

Steve
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2004-10-12 11:21, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
Bela Lugosi as a magician in one of his films with the East Side Kids.

Chandu, the Magician, wasn't it?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Hey...Chandu...that's another one!

Actually it was, I believe, "Spooks Run Wild," or it might have been "Ghosts on the Loose" (released in the UK as "Ghosts in the Night"). In one of them Lugosi played a magician (maybe in both; I don't recall for sure).

Steve
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
Another addition to the list...

In "Shakes the Clown" (hailed as the 'Citizen Kane of alcoholic clown movies'), Bobcat Goldthwait does a birthday party and is shown presenting the Magic Coloring Book and Strat-O-Spheres.

Dan Wolfe, aka. "The Amazing EARL"
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Quote:
On 2004-10-07 09:52, drwilson wrote:
I can't believe no one has cited "Penn and Teller Get Killed." There is a lot of magic in this film. Some of the best is when Penn says to Teller, "Show them why we hate magic," and Teller puts on this fey smile and starts mincing around producing silks.

Yours,

Paul

Ahh... and the ball bearing trick in the airport is delicious!

Steve Martin does a couple magic bits in "Leap of Faith", and *gasp* mentions doing cold reading. LOVE that film!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
How about the movie "Dave"?

Kevin Klein, acting as the president of the united states, pulls a quarter out of a child's ear.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
Julia Misbehaving,Cesar Romero again,
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Quote:
On 2004-04-22 13:01, whitelephant wrote:
Johnny Depp does a coin roll in Pirates of the Caribbean.

No, he cheated, it was just animation.

It's not a movie, but there's a P.G. Wodehouse play that was made into a video. One of the main characters is a magician, it's pretty funny.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
[quote]On 2004-10-19 00:46, redstreak wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-04-22 13:01, whitelephant wrote:
Johnny Depp does a coin roll in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Quote:
No, he cheated, it was just animation.

It's not a movie, but there's a P.G. Wodehouse play that was made into a video. One of the main characters is a magician, it's pretty funny.

There was "Real Genius" where Val Kilmer has lines while doing two coins rolls, one in each hand! I hate him.
Tielie
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Tielie
Can't believe no-one has mentioned this great film yet:

"as good as it gets"
One of the best films from the last years I think

The woman (Helen Hunt?) has a date one evening and the guy vanishes a cigarette. Looks pretty cool.
Deal cards, not drugs!
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Quote:
On 2004-10-19 06:22, mandrake01 wrote:
...There was "Real Genius" where Val Kilmer has lines while doing two coins rolls, one in each hand! I hate him.

Doesn't Kilmer do some coin rolls in "Tombstone", too?
Pants99
View Profile
Loyal user
El Paso, TX
230 Posts

Profile of Pants99
Call me a dork, but I do remember the movie "Saving Silverman" having magic in it. It's kinda at the begining where the dude from american pie hits on the snobby chick and gets rejected.

And Val Kilmer does do a very good coin roll in Tombstone!!!

Pants
Buckle up... it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-10-20 15:10, Laughing Otter wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-10-19 06:22, mandrake01 wrote:
...There was "Real Genius" where Val Kilmer has lines while doing two coins rolls, one in each hand! I hate him.

Doesn't Kilmer do some coin rolls in "Tombstone", too?

Never saw "Tombstone." "Real Genius" and "Batman Forever" were about as much Val Kilmer as I could take.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Movies with magic in them (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL