The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Kevlar thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cajuninms
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of cajuninms
Ok people,

I just ordered a spool of kevlar thread, but I can't manage to strip it out. Could someone please help me with stripping out kevlar thread?

Thanks all

cajuninms
Sean W. Burke
View Profile
Loyal user
Washington D.C.
298 Posts

Profile of Sean W. Burke
Just play some Marvin Gaye and it may just strip itself. Smile
cajuninms
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of cajuninms
Ok look here is my problem...the string feels like I am ripping a cotton ball: just little short fibers.
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
Where did you buy the thread? It may not be the magician friendly variety...

I bought 20 feet on a card and can strip a single strand the entire 20 feet with no problem.
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
P-body
View Profile
New user
Madison, WI
8 Posts

Profile of P-body
It depends on the kevlar you purchased. Some of it is impregnated with an epoxy resin so it can be readily used for laying up composite structures. You need to make sure you are getting the clean fibers.

P-body
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4963 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
John Kennedy sells Kevlar filament:

http://www.johnkennedymagic.com/scripts/......oduct=14
TodDah!
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of TodDah!
I have had the same problem. I have purchased many different spools of Kevlar and unique nylon threads and they all seem to either be twisted and bonded or became a huge challenge to take apart. I have talked to manufacturers of the Kevlar threads and they have assured me the type of thread we are talking about comes in a huge spool.... I can't remember if it was a 5lb spool and costs over 100.00 for this spool. I still don't know if even that was the right stuff as I didn't buy. I would love to buy the stuff from magic shops but if you know anything about the other IT it sells the stuff is way overpriced from its original purchase price. The feeling after is a feeling of being overcharged. Michael Ammar spoke of a special thread a genetic mutation from spider fluid that makes its web and goats milk? now try tracking that down. I too would like to find a nice size spool of Kevlar but have had no luck in finding outside of Magic shops wanting 15.00 for a card wrapped with so many feet. Anybody else with helpful insight I would like to know Too.
respho
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
74 Posts

Profile of respho
Are you sure it's the right thing? Mine came already stripped, very clean.
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Quote:
On 2004-08-08 14:54, respho wrote:
Are you sure it's the right thing? Mine came already stripped, very clean.

From whom? Why not tell us the source while you're at it instead of making us ask? Trying to keep secrets, Eh??
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
372 Posts

Profile of chill
http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/me......nvisible
Kevlar Invisible Black Yarn: The Thread Exchange, Inc.

found this, a start anyway
bob
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
magicshayne
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of magicshayne
If you can not strip it then it is probably the wrong type of thread I did have an issue like this with kevlar thread I just bought myself a magnify glass and keept on trying to strip it by getting one strand but to be honest its not worth it the time it took me to strip I would have rather bought it from a magic dealer and that is what I do now saves so much time
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
What you really want is Kevlar tow, this is just a bunch of individual strands bunched together. You can also get Spectra or Dyneema tow. Do a search on the web.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Kevlar thread (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL