The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Selling and Shipping Advice (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Some_Magical_Idiot
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Some_Magical_Idiot
Howdy everyone,

So due to life's circumstances I have decided to let go of some of my bizarre (not all mind you). Hopefully I will list in time for some Halloween fun. Since you all are my target audience I was looking for some input on how best to list them in the Café "For Sale" section. I can do one long listing with price, description, and pics for each item in one long list, or I can list each item separate for maximum exposure, or I can even list in smaller lots which I don't think anyone will like. I am leaning toward maintaining one big list (and hopefully selling multiple things at a time!) but would separatemultiple listings give more exposure? Thoughts?

Also, how risky is it to ship overseas from the USA? If I decide to do so, is there a best shipping method I should use?

Please feel free to comment or PM me directly. Thanks everyone!

For those interested, here is a preview of what all I plan to list:
1. Book Dopps: J&H by Prof BC with COA
2. Book Dopps: PhOTO by Prof BC NO COA
3. Book Others: Spectre by Prof BC with COA and satchel of mystic stones
4. Book Others: More Gh*sts with Ambrotype by Prof BC with COA
5. Book Others: More Gh*sts by Prof BC with COA
6. Book Test: Oraculum SE with COA
7. Book Test: C0DEX V3NEFICIUM (Codex V)
8. Book Test: Witches Almanac by Bill Pullman and OE
9. Book Test: Reflections hardcover by OE
10.Effect: Memory Box by Lothar Malmberg
11.Effect: Butcher’s Blade by Tim Wisseman
12.Effect: Witch Hazel from creator of "The Knowing Game"
13.Effect: Pure Smoke V2 by J Brumbalow and Gregory Wilson
14.Effect: PK Meter by Tim Wisseman
15.Book Original: "Ghosts of an Antiquary" by M.R. James (1910 - 4th imprinting)
16.Book Original: "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Though The Looking Glass" by Lewis Carroll (1898 People's Edition)

Thanks for reading! Be bizarre!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Well, you may get several offers from this post alone, but for what you have left, I personally loathe the lists from a buying and selling standpoint. Just too difficult to keep track of what's sold and what has not. Plus, as a seller, you can never really give a good item the attention it deserves. I think you can group similar items, like book tests for instance, but don't create a long eclectic laundry list that becomes exhausting to read. As a buyer I want to think that what I am purchasing is something special, not just an effect title and a price that I need to take time to research. A good seller does the work for the buyer up front so she or he need not bother with research, they can just hit the PayPal button.

When I sell, I make it a rule to have: an effect description; reviews when appropriate, retail cost when appropriate, e.g. not collectible props which are totally driven by demand; and a photo if possible or link to a photo. Also include a fair and accurate description of the prop's condition and what it comes with, e.g. original packaging, instructions, DVD, COA, etc.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Some_Magical_Idiot
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Excellent input, Wizard of Oz. I have also received other input regarding shipping and pricing that are much appreciated.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I agree with Oz. I hate long exhaustive lists like the one above. If I am looking for something I will prefer it to be in categories such as the dopps and etc. That way I am not wasting my time looking at lists I am not interested in or find myself waking up in the middle of the list. I also prefer a link to the item as some are often listed that I am not familiar with. I feel the work of providing links helps the buyer decide is a plus. I have often passed over sales just because I didn't want to look up each item myself. As for shipping overseas, I have never had an issue but hate that you lose tracking once it leaves the USA and it may take a long time to get there and you must file a custom report.

Think of it like the funeral business, show the body but don't expose the ugly part like the embalming process or the casketing methods. Let your product shine for those paying the money and don't let them walk away with a stench in their nostrils.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, weepinwil wrote:
As for shipping overseas, I have never had an issue but hate that you lose tracking once it leaves the USA

I've heard this several times, but every time I have ordered from the US or Canada (etc.) I was always able to see where my package was. That's weird. Do dark forces keep that information away from you?

Cheers, Luc.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, Delimbeau wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, weepinwil wrote:
As for shipping overseas, I have never had an issue but hate that you lose tracking once it leaves the USA

I've heard this several times, but every time I have ordered from the US or Canada (etc.) I was always able to see where my package was. That's weird. Do dark forces keep that information away from you?

Cheers, Luc.

May be Luc. I don't think the USPO tracks beyond the border but your postal service may pick it up from there. Would be interesting to know if you could track it while it was in the USA.
Seance
View Profile
Elite user
Talking on the other side with
427 Posts

Profile of Seance
I've shipped overseas from the US using Priority Mail International. It does track to the delivery of the package to the end address.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, Seance wrote:
I've shipped overseas from the US using Priority Mail International. It does track to the delivery of the package to the end address.

That's good to know. I have shipped twice and have been told both times it will not track for me beyond the USA. It may be that it was not priority Mail International. Or, could be the dark force against me.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
I hope out of USA to elsewhere remains as good as I have found it -- but from EU in laterly has been the pits. Before last Xmas I ordered a book from Europe -- and the magi who sold it shipped it out via mail uicj]kly along with (he reported) two other shipments. After Xmas, when it stilkl had not arrived, I contacted him and he told me his other two shipments had also not arrived for his other customers. And as I remember he got word to me that his other shipments out of his home nation had arrived -- so I went ahead and got a refund from him via PayPal.

He honestly told me that if my order did show up to send him the money when it did --- and I indicated I would unless I found another copy of the limited edition book for the same price. It still has not arrived AND I have not found another copy at the very discounted and wonderfully Xmasy price at which he had offered it. If it ever does, I will return it to him if I have replaced it -- but current finances do not allow me to even look.

I have had nothing but great and honest dealings here on the Café and good shipping (some, to Asia) at growing expensive prices. Oned or two slow deliveries in the USA in hurricane or snow season -- and mail usually gets through.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, chmara wrote:
I hope out of USA to elsewhere remains as good as I have found it -- but from EU in laterly has been the pits. Before last Xmas I ordered a book from Europe -- and the magi who sold it shipped it out via mail uicj]kly along with (he reported) two other shipments. After Xmas, when it stilkl had not arrived, I contacted him and he told me his other two shipments had also not arrived for his other customers. And as I remember he got word to me that his other shipments out of his home nation had arrived -- so I went ahead and got a refund from him via PayPal.

He honestly told me that if my order did show up to send him the money when it did --- and I indicated I would unless I found another copy of the limited edition book for the same price. It still has not arrived AND I have not found another copy at the very discounted and wonderfully Xmasy price at which he had offered it. If it ever does, I will return it to him if I have replaced it -- but current finances do not allow me to even look.

I have had nothing but great and honest dealings here on the Café and good shipping (some, to Asia) at growing expensive prices. Oned or two slow deliveries in the USA in hurricane or snow season -- and mail usually gets through.

As the slogan says: "Through rain, sleet, snow, and the gloom of night, nothing but a holiday can stay the carrier from his appointed duties."

You think it is hard to get a book from there, you should try to get a coffin. They are as late as the cadavers waiting for them, and just like them, that stinks.
Some_Magical_Idiot
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Wanted to post an update:

Thanks again for your input everyone. Great insight (and Weepinwil's sense of humor cracks me up). This community is awesome.

Keep an eye out on geminiartifacts.com if any of the items listed caught your eye (or tickled your fancy as my Grandma used to say). They should be posted there soon.

Thanks again
Some_Magical_Idiot
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

An update: These items are now listed on GeminiArtifacts.com in the "Undead Artifacts" section. Please check it out if you are interested in anything I listed. Thanks!

Gemini Artifacts is proud to announce the latest section to the Gemini Website - Undead Artifacts. Searching for some long out of print items, or perhaps a deal on something you missed? Check out the Undead Artifacts section and will you will currently find a selection of some long out of print titles and some authentic items. Once these items are gone, they are gone.

Have something to sell? Contact Vic at vic@geminiartifacts to get your item listed!
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
This seems to be a very successful idea! Cheers, Luc.
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
Thanks all!
All items have been shipped out to buyers and all have received tracking via USPS.

Keep checking back on the Undead Artifacts section of the Gemini website, as new items are always popping up. As of this moment, we have just added Pandora and look for a updated price on the spirit slates.
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
Hi Vic,

What is the Hasbun book on the left?: https://geminiartifacts.com/collections/....../pandora

Looks interesting!

Cheers, Luc.
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
No idea, I have Pandora all packed, so I just grabbed a picture from google. I am sure the pic is very old.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Wow, some of those things sold fast! I was kinda hoping to get my fingers on the butcher's blade, but it seemed to have sold to some lucky (and speedy) buyer almost as soon as it was listed!
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2017, Delimbeau wrote:
What is the Hasbun book on the left?: https://geminiartifacts.com/collections/....../pandora

I took that photo (which Vic is more than welcome to use!) and posted it to the forum quite some time back.

As for what the book is: it's something I managed to acquire from Bobby long ago. Unfortunately, I believe there were only three and it's my understanding the other two have been destroyed. They were considered "too dark" for mass production, but some of the lighter aspects found within the book went on to live in Codex V and Oraculum.
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
Thanks. Wow, that sounds and looks unique in many ways Smile Cheers, Luc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Selling and Shipping Advice (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL