The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » “A Dianoetic Rage” is real. (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I am now one of a small handful of people in the world to have witnessed Thomas Baxter’s “A Dianoetic Rage” in person. No one but Tom knows the secret. I can attest to this being the best rendition of “51 Faces North” I’ve ever seen, or frankly can even imagine. It most definitely meets all of Stewart James’ conditions. It appeared exactly as it should have. It was incredibly direct, and fooled everyone in the room. We are all reeling from the experience. I hope I never learn the secret. The legend is most definitely real.

Ben
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Did you get to deal the cards?

And was the card stopped at turned over directly?

So jealous.... I'd love to see it!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Energizer
I'm well jel.

Would love to see this and persuade Baxter to spill the beans.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I'd just love to see it.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Here is exactly what happened. There were about seven magicians sitting around a table. We were at Wunderground Magic Shop in Clawson, MI. Tom insisted on a borrowed deck. Several of us offered ours, but Tom asked the shop owner for a brand new, sealed deck. Tom asked me to designate any person to take part. I randomly chose Kasey Logan. Tom insisted on never touching the deck. The shop owner handed Kasey a brand new, sealed deck of cards, still in the cellophane, right off the shelf. TOM DID NOT TOUCH THE DECK EVEN ONCE. He asked to borrow my pad of paper, and openly wrote the name of one card, in full view, and allowed everyone present to see it. Kasey finally got the cards out of the box, which was tossed aside. Tom asked her to remove the jokers and advertising cards. She did so, and then Tom asked her to thoroughly shuffle the deck. She did this. No one else but Kasey had any physical contact with the deck.

Nothing intervened here other than Tom verbally describing the conditions of “51 Faces North”. He then told Kasey to deal cards one by one, face up onto the table, stopping whenever she wished. She dealt several, and stopped. Tom asked her if she was sure, and if she wanted to change we mind. She did, and dealt more cards. Once again, Tom asked her if she was sure, and AGAIN she changed her mind. She kept dealing. Throughout all of this, the predicted card had not appeared.

Trying to be difficult, Kasey eventually stopped dealing at card #50. So she had three cards in her hand. Tom actuallly gave her the option of confinuing if she wanted to. She said no this time. Tom asked her to deal the next card face down onto the pile already dealt, and then to deal the final two on top of that. Every card was seen except for the openly predicted card. The face down card was still visible, as it happened near the end of the deal. Tom told Kasey to turn it over. It was the exact card that Tom openly wrote down.

This is my exact recollection of what happened.

I only wanted to know one thing, so I simply asked Kasey, “Did you just experience the exact same effect as I did?” She answered yes, and I believe her. I wanted to rule out stoogery.

I’m not leaving anything out.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
That sounds great. Tom is a brilliant creator!

I miss his posts here.
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
This thread would probably get much more discussion in "the worker".
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
Lets not forget that a sealed deck its not necessarily a deck that was never unsealed. With that in mind, even if that was a special deck provided by Tom still don't know how exactly would he accomplish the described effect.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Well well. Either Tom Baxter has the greatest OP of all time or everyone was in on it except Ben.

The name Dianoetic Rage - I think it's suggesting that the effect destroys the intellect.... Not sure exactly. Dianoetic loosely means 'Intellectual'....
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Wow. Beautiful! Simply beautiful. What a great experience, Ben...
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Thanks sounds like a once ina lifetime experience. That is a gift.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2017, Last Laugh wrote:
Well well. Either Tom Baxter has the greatest OP of all time or everyone was in on it except Ben.

Was it Mr. Annemann who said something to the effect of (paraphrasing, could not find the exact quote), "I would use 99 people to fool one, if that was the goal. There had better be a darn good reason to fool that one."
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I’d be flattered if it were worth a coordinated effort among so many people just to fool me. It would mean that a lot of people care! However, I think Tom has a legit method for this. But I’ll be ***ed if I have any clue.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Well, you are an active and respected member at the largest magic forum. Also, being known for mentalism with cards. If the goal is to create a legend, you'd definitely be a good choice.

I would have had my suspicions totally allayed if you had been the one dealing, but the apparent choice of literally anyone there except you is a bit suspect.

However, if it's real that's really great because no matter how much one knows, there are still mysteries.

This is probably a good candidate for letting the mystery be. A Dianoetic Rage indeed!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Quote:
When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

(Sherlock Holmes)

This is intriguing and got me very curious. Under those circunstancies, physically, there are only 3 possibilities on how it can be accomplished. I'll send you a pm to ask you two little details.
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2017, Last Laugh wrote:
Well, you are an active and respected member at the largest magic forum. Also, being known for mentalism with cards. If the goal is to create a legend, you'd definitely be a good choice.

I would have had my suspicions totally allayed if you had been the one dealing, but the apparent choice of literally anyone there except you is a bit suspect.

However, if it's real that's really great because no matter how much one knows, there are still mysteries.

This is probably a good candidate for letting the mystery be. A Dianoetic Rage indeed!

That’s how I’d prefer it to be. It would suggest that there are things about card magic that have yet to be discovered. I just made the point with a colleague recently who was acting dismissive about the Gilbreath Princilple. I reminded him that reasonably modern card magic had existed for hundreds of years before it happened to occur to one single person in the 20th century.
Caveman
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Caveman
This is such a great story! Reminds me of the first time I saw a mind power deck in use, I couldn't wrap my head around it. Learning the secret was bittersweet. Thanks for sharing!
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Just a couple of notes, here.

I didn’t use Ben to deal because he’s my friend. People would have accused him of being a confederate. He wasn’t. I had not met any of the others present at the event until just then.

I didn’t ask the store owner for a new, sealed deck. I asked to borrow a deck of cards from anyone present. George Tait was standing at the counter, and he picked up a new, sealed deck and tossed it on the table.

Ben had a free choice of who to select to shuffle, deal, etc., and no, I didn’t stooge the group.

I’ve shared the workings of this with someone. After I’ve gone, they might reveal my method. Until then, I’m happy that people enjoy the mystery.

P.s.: Those who claim to know, don’t.

T. Baxter
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2019, entity wrote:
Just a couple of notes, here.

I didn’t use Ben to deal because he’s my friend. People would have accused him of being a confederate. He wasn’t. I had not met any of the others present at the event until just then.

I didn’t ask the store owner for a new, sealed deck. I asked to borrow a deck of cards from anyone present. George Tait was standing at the counter, and he picked up a new, sealed deck and tossed it on the table.

Ben had a free choice of who to select to shuffle, deal, etc., and no, I didn’t stooge the group.

I’ve shared the workings of this with someone. After I’ve gone, they might reveal my method. Until then, I’m happy that people enjoy the mystery.

P.s.: Those who claim to know, don’t.

T. Baxter

Magnificent stuff. It's great to know there are still some mysteries left that can genuinely astonish even the most knowledgeable people.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Hear hear.

This is interesting because I was just considering of doing an episode of my podcast on legends/mysteries in magic and mentalism, and 51 FN is the first thing that came to mind.

Serendipitous....
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » “A Dianoetic Rage” is real. (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL