The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Correcting the record. (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..13~14~15 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
I don't know what your tolerance is for hearing about these things, but I think that fear is a perfectly natural response...

Yes... Who's putting that fear into you?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
In a world, obsessed with spectacle, what do you expect?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2017, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
I don't know what your tolerance is for hearing about these things, but I think that fear is a perfectly natural response...

Yes... Who's putting that fear into you?

Mother Nature.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2017, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2017, landmark wrote:
... So what's the solution for how to find an honest answer to violence in the US?

First step is facing it, owning it's good intentions and utility.

There's an interesting commentary on Blade Runner by Sarah Gailey on tor.com posted 10/3/17

Generally Accepted... by those who benefit.

But their culture does not value human life the way we do.
Force is the only language they understand.
It's a cookbook.
Besides if we don't kill them there, we'll have to kill them here.
We tried everything short of war already, we have no choice.
It's with great regret we kill.
Bring them to justice.
Collateral damage, free fire zones, no fly zones, enhanced interrogation.
The wars come home.
Inquiring minds of Sparta wonder about the serial killers on the loose.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

We seem to have among us those who wish to indulge in supernatural visions of "Mother Nature", "Father Sky" ... and a paranormal notion of causality.
You did it. Your thoughtcrimes. That pin you did not pick up. The crack you stepped on while walking home. It's all your fault.

So much easier to live in fear of the rare madman and the evil they might bring by misusing technology.

So much easier than to learn the roots of madness and expend efforts on detecting, deflecting and redirecting such impulses.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
On the contrary; it's completely natural.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 3, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
On the contrary; it's completely natural.

So are famine, malaria, and intra clan warfare scaling up to genocide. As are all those scary things we see in nature documentries.

Our cultural feature of rapid intergenerational learning puts it all up for abuse. Our enlightened self interest inside a culture makes things unnaturally less directly warlike. The other law of large numbers puts risks into the environment.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Who's putting that famine into you?

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Much abused word, that "natural."
If nature means everything that is, then yes, they are all natural.

The use of that word just leads to tautological thinking.
Instead of asking what is natural, at least ask what is possible, just, or desirable.
And then, for whom.

And Jon--someone dropped that grenade pin that no one picked up.

There is a lot of work to be done, unfortunately, picking up other people's physical and metaphysical garbage.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It means, in this case, something that arises organically, as opposed to - Jon's assumption - something that is "put" there.

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
I'm not buying the parsing of the data because the fact is that less guns equal less gun violence, as countries with strict laws have shown. ...

That's a fact?

https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/cnsne......and-2013

http://ijr.com/2016/01/510415-10-charts-......pective/
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
But if we want to know if anyone NEEDS a semi automatic weapon based on the small number of deaths they cause each year, shouldn't we also ask, "Does anyone NEED a car that goes over 80 MPH based on the very large number of deaths speeding causes each year?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/sunda......yth.html
"In 2012, only 322 people were murdered with any kind of rifle, F.B.I. data shows."

https://seriousaccidents.com/legal-advic......peeding/
"In 1999, speeding was a contributing factor in 30 percent of all fatal crashes, and 12,628 lives were lost in speeding-related crashes."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I have no problem limiting the speed of cars. I don't want lighting fixtures with exposed wires sold either, or fans with blades that spin off and fly around rooms. I guess that makes me a bad person.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Why fret over the suicidal acts of a madman?

Why not fret over how we might redirect such people toward more socially relevant action than "madman disrupts music event by firing weapons at audience".

Better to fret what laws may be hastily written, signed and make matters worse.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2017, landmark wrote:
I have no problem limiting the speed of cars. I don't want lighting fixtures with exposed wires sold either, or fans with blades that spin off and fly around rooms. I guess that makes me a bad person.

Kudos! Good answer! Less funny than the "The purpose of cars isn't to kill" response, but still good.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
A skyscraper now stands down a dark alley where nobody goes. Fret not over the suicidal acts of a madman but in a world, obsessed with spectacle; expect the next to be bigger and more horrific than the one before.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
I'm not buying the parsing of the data because the fact is that less guns equal less gun violence, as countries with strict laws have shown.
Different demographics and geographies. How do you reconcile your belief with the fact that for 20 years, from the mid-90s through a few years ago, private gun ownership in the USA increased by over 55%, and the gun homicide rate decreased by 49%?
Quote:

As far as what's an acceptable number it's not a matter getting to zero. It's matter of having policies that consistently lessen the danger and we don't have anything remotely like that now.
What we have is the opposite.

Actually, under the policies that were in place in the USA, gun homicides have dropped substantially since their peak in the mid-90s. So if the goal is "consistently lessening the danger," then it's a little hard to square the data with the "What we've been doing hasn't been working" narrative.

NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Yeah, I guess it just seems like people are getting shot.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:

Or in other words.

"Umm, yeah, I guess the data says something completely different than I was claiming, so I'll make a stupid flip remark since I can't respond to the actual facts."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:

No...it just seems like MORE people are getting shot. But the fact is, the number of gun homicides has decreased DRAMATICALLY over the past couple of decades, despite a significant increase in the number of privately owned guns.

So again I ask how that squares with your belief that more guns = more gun violence.

As for the perception of continually increasing gun violence, it should be readily apparent how that squares with the narrative of a predominantly liberal media exaggerating the risk to encourage support for policy change. Or, alternatively, Why do you think most people think the gun homicide rate is higher than ever when in fact it's not just lower, but significantly lower?

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Correcting the record. (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..13~14~15 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL