The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Why do non-magicians watch Fool Us? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of cbmar
I think the show is great, and have no trouble understanding why magicians watch the show.
But what do you think the major draw is for regular people?
Are they watching because they want to see magic? Or are they watching because they want to see whether Penn & Teller get fooled?
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I don't know anyone who watches it regularly, honestly.

But I would think they just want to see magic that is relatively likely to be a good performance.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
Valid question. This TV does require "attention", or your're lost and thus have little conviction. Magic usually happens to "things" as opposed to people. Studies have shown "men" to be wired like this vs woman. Also watching it LIVE further weakens the "trick buster" as you can't rewind. So who is watching it LIVE?

Is it the young teens into magic (small group). High Schoolers who like to test themselves at "trick busting" and pick-up a trick for their friends (small group). Active magicians that like to stay abreast of societal expectations (small group, but likely most loyal). -This group wants to study more the "performance", already knowing their own methods. <-- winner

Me personally: I don't watch "TV" and haven't for 13 years. I consider myself informed and relevant (big surprise for a few out there). I don't need TV and anything I figure I do, I find on the internet. I've watched a few P & E segments, but only after they've come to my attention. I like the show and think it keeps magic alive.

Well?
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You may not sit in front of a TV but then watch what you want from the TV on the Internet. No biggie but you sort of do watch TV.

I know many who watch that show every week. Obviously it has a base because of the length of run.

It amounts to a variety show that you can miss and not miss anything. Heck you can miss a segment and it doesn't stop the enjoyment or understanding of it. The show is about a celebration of good magic, and fooling them is a distraction.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
It’s a great hook, genius. Millions of people watched The Apprentice to see who would get fired, people watch Fool Us, at least initially, to see if P+T can get fooled.
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2017, MickNZ wrote:
Millions of people watched The Apprentice.

Penn was my all time favorite celebrity apprentice. He should have won!!! I think most people have a positive opinion of P&T. That might draw them in initially. The variety of acts may keep them watching. They might also like the challenge of figuring out how the magic was accomplished by trying to decipher Penn's cryptic responses to the magician. He is fond of talking about the performers magnetic personality or wondering if the coin guy visited the beach before performing his act. I personally wish they would leave the audience out of that discussion.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Someone's watching it because it has been picked up for another season
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Maybe they like it,
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
CR_Shelton
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of CR_Shelton
My neighbor loves that show. I have to keep up with it just because I know he’ll want to talk after wach episode. His favorite part is how they let the person know when they aren’t fooled. He gets a huge kick out of the fact there is such coded jargon that lets magicians talk to each other about secrets without anyone else understanding. I think in general the show offers just the right amount of “peek behind the curtain” It satisfies the perfectly reasonable instinct that led to the masked magician so many years ago, but even a layman can see how this show is much more respectful and celebratory of magic.
An actor is a magician performing the illusion of reality.
www.ActingMagician.com
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I will say, I also enjoy the coded language Penn uses when giving their guess.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
rboyd
View Profile
New user
Devon
81 Posts

Profile of rboyd
We started watching it as a family during dinner as it was fun to watch, entertaining and apart from the occasional bad language, suitable for our entire household (ages between 2 and 32).

That being said, I will never have money again because of this show. It has two of my kids into magic obsessed mini P&Ts and me into an obsessive aspiring magician who is doing his wife's head in showing her my new tricks!
top_illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
USA
146 Posts

Profile of top_illusionist
People are tired of watching the news, re-runs of old shows, Dancing with the Stars and American Idol probably got boring for them. The Masked Magician is no longer revealing magic effects, but many people got lured into magic as a result. Just a few thoughts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Why do non-magicians watch Fool Us? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL