The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Passing the hat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
carsonsweet
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of carsonsweet
I use a self-entertaining "tip jar" when working parties or streets. It's a plastic novelty cookie jar that cackles when you open it and says "That tickles, please stop" etc...

I have seen people put more money in just to make it laugh again, or go tell their wives to put in a dollar just to see them startled.

If I absolutely know that I have just completely blown the audience away with an effect, I will pull a fiver out of my pocket, feign surprise at my success, and say something like "Damn, that was so good I'm gonna tip myself!" It's a little forward, but used right after you've created a super-wow reaction it works GREAT.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I used poems at one time, this is one I put together a long time ago:

It's time to turn my hat inside out
but I won't scream and I won't shout
if you folks enjoyed the show

please stick a couple of bucks in my old chapeau

For I've traveled the world from pole to pole
working for silver and working for gold
But nothing makes me feel alive
like an "attaboy" and a crumpled five.

May God bless and keep you folks, for he knows I can't afford to.

Recited with good humor and tongue in cheek it works surprisingly well.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
I found two tips that added money to the hat. First, you should always anounce that you are going to be asking for money, before you actually do. I'd do it by saying, "If I am successful with this amazing feet, you will all be screaming, cheering, and clapping wildly ... reaching for your wallets." Then there is a pregnant pause as the laughter ensues.

Then at the end, I ask politely, "if you appreciated the show, please show your appreciation." At that point move yourself out into the audience and walk amongst them. Don't wait for them to come to you. Smile
Ace Starry - Author or THE MAGIC LIFE - A NOVEL PHILOSOPHY
http://www.starry.com/
Glenn
View Profile
New user
Seaford, Sussex, UK
80 Posts

Profile of Glenn
A line I have used is,
"If you have enjoyed the show please don't throw your money because of the children in the audience - they have very quick hands and get it all before I do"
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Hey everyone!

I've jumped in kinda late... But I wanted to ask a question! I noticed that Mr. Ace Starry said to walk into the crowd with your hat. Mr. Ace, is this the way to go? I'm kinda nervous about my first time on the street, which is coming up soon, but should I bite the bullet and walk into that huge crowd that my show's gonna draw and take the hat around sorta like a collection plate?
wooooeeeeee, I'm nervous!

*shaking knees*

Well... If it's the best thang to do, I'll do it!

Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
mr.t.ricks
View Profile
New user
CARDIFF SOUTH WALES
43 Posts

Profile of mr.t.ricks
Hi everyone,

I have performed at my local town centre doing Punch & Judy and some days balloons.

I have a large top hat (bottle cooler) that I have made, a top that pivits when enough coins are on the top, it pivits and drops the coins into the hat, I have rigged it so that this action sends a small flag up about two feet, when this happens I announce we have a winner, the person who put the coins in then gets a large balloon model 3 or 4 balloons.

This is a bit unfair, because all the kids then pester their parents for more cash to win the prize.

It works well when doing balloons.

When I do the Punch and Judy show, I use the same hat but I make a reference to the baby needing feeding.

As always, the winner gets a large balloon model.

regards
mr.t.ricks
Smile Smile
regards to all

MR.T.RICKS
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Ok, so I only work the streets ballooning, but to date, the best tip sign ever reads:

Tipping is good karma

Ok, so I live in the Bay Area and that may have something to do with it, but it works for me.

Side note: Danny your poem is great, I may have to use it, if I may?

Kevin Smile
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the kind words and please feel free to use it, anyone else in the forum is welcome to use it as well.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Majack
View Profile
New user
South Africa
8 Posts

Profile of Majack
My book Nomadic Magic actually has a section on street performing and one on asking for tips, whether in restaurants or on the pavement. Here are a few snippets that may prove useful to you...

"...it is a psychological dance between the performer and the audience... coming on too strong will mean losing the tip, and not putting enough emphasis on tipping sometimes results in them not even realizing they could tip..."

"...The process can be broken down into three stages:

The Warning:

Letting them know in a humorous way that you'll be collecting at the end, without actually saying as much: you could produce a jumbo coin in the middle of the show and say "...it's the biggest tip I got all day!" or drop it in your hat and say "...the big money goes in here!"

The Bottling:

Actually asking for the tip (no beating around the bush)

The Collection:

Keep them laughing with carefully timed one-liners while they're digging in their wallets. Get creative, and keep it funny. Here are a few generic examples that guys working on the street have written in years gone by (restaurant workers need to be more subtle):

'Schysophrenics can pay twice...'
'That's not enough! someone forgot to pay!'
'Kids, it's a game. Go get more!'
'Look, this kid gave me $20, and he doesn't even have a job!'..."

JACQUES LE SUEUR
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I've been fortunate, I usually don't ask for tips. I do have a crystal clear tip tube decorated with dollar signs permanently attached to my balloon pump. I guess the subliminal really kicks in well because the audiences are most generous. If I'm actually working for tips, I seed it a bit and that usually does the trick to get the pockets flowing. Here's a pic. http://riff.eubankrs.net/pump.jpg

A few good lines are,
"Go and sin no more, sin no more, send no more than fifty dollars, to, Riff Clown, PO Box....." Smile

"Any amount will do, just fold it up and stuff it in. " Smile

(this one is a cheap shot and is not recommended)
"Who wants to see a money trick?" look at the jar and mutter "Me Too" Smile

Click here to view attached image.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
I just remembered a line from a juggler I saw years ago. I'd give him credit, but I don't know who it was. It's probably one of those lines that has been around for years.

"There have been some injuries reported from people throwing change toward the hat. So in order to prevent any injuries, we ask that if you are going to throw a coin, it would help if you carefully wrap it up in a dollar bill ..."

Live the magic!

Ace
Ace Starry - Author or THE MAGIC LIFE - A NOVEL PHILOSOPHY
http://www.starry.com/
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
247 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
I sometimes announce before the last part of the routine:

"Now I'm going to show you one of the most amazing things you've ever seen. In fact, you should get your dollar bills ready now, because at the conclusion, there will be such a mad rush to put money in this hat that you could get injured if you aren't ready. So for your own safety, I implore you, get your money out now while I show you the ancient game of the cups and the balls...

These (pause to show cups) are the cups. I know it seems obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people are already lost at this point in the routine....

And the routine goes on from there. I have tried to blend the warning about getting the money ready and the impending passing of the hat straight into the beginning of the routine.

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
[email]jmt@turnermagic.com[/email]
www.turnermagic.com
Patrick McKeever
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Patrick McKeever
Quote:
I agree. I think the line has a positive psychological effect rather than a negative one. Providing your show is a good one. The runners will run anyway but the people who are the givers because they appreciated your show are likely to give a little more thought about the amount they give to the hat.
On 2002-04-17 14:03, johncesta wrote:
Part of being a good magician is knowing what works well for you. If you have a hard time with that....then....

I think the "...For my next trick I will make half of the crowd disappear..." is a great line.

I have seen it used in New Orleans on the street and laughed. I mean, if your show is simply NOT GOOD then half the crowd would already be gone anyway. If your show was good then most of the audience will respect your comment and probably fill the hat.

John Cesta
Patrick McKeever
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Patrick McKeever
In cellini's book, he begins with a spiel that goes something like: " Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Cellini. I am going to perform a little magic show, guarenteed to amaze, amuse, confound and confuse. You may ask how I do it or maybe even why I do it. I'll tell you why. I do it for money. The more fun you have, the more money I make." Then he goes into his act.

Also if you have seen the Doc Eason tapes, notice when he does the card on ceiling trick. At that time he gives his spiel and begins passing the hat before he begins the trick. It's worth studying. I have done some bar busking and used a line pretty much similar to Cellini's. They know up front that they are expected to pay. The crowds are small 8-15 people and the hats would run about $45 bucks average. You got to hit a lot of bars to make any money.
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
909 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Here's the one I have used to great success - it is integrated into an effect - I begin by asking everyone to joi in, first a clap or two, then a shout, then I tell (not ask) everyone to take a dollar or two and hold it in their hand with the line "All street performers have to ask for money, because this is the way we all make our livings. Now, I am not going to ask for your money...yet. But imagine that you are gambling, and every time that you guess wrong it would cost you the amount you have in your hand. Well, that makes THIS show a fairly inexpensive idea, doesn't it?" Then I go into a gambling version of a chop cup, or cups and balls, or something where there is anticipation of the magician being wrong, where a tag line can be "Remember, you're not actually betting any money...just giving it away."
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
ESP writes: "imagine that you are gambling, and every time that you guess wrong it would cost you the amount you have in your hand. Well, that makes THIS show a fairly inexpensive idea, doesn't it?"

Wonderful street line! I LOVE it!
It should really work well.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Quote:
On 2002-05-21 21:25, Bird Brain wrote:
Hey everyone!

I've jumped in kinda late... But I wanted to ask a question! I noticed that Mr. Ace Starry said to walk into the crowd with your hat. Mr. Ace, is this the way to go? I'm kinda nervous about my first time on the street, which is coming up soon, but should I bite the bullet and walk into that huge crowd that my show's gonna draw and take the hat around sorta like a collection plate?
wooooeeeeee, I'm nervous!

*shaking knees*

Well... If it's the best thang to do, I'll do it!

Bird Brain

YES do it! the most uncofrtable feeling you will get is the dead stop if you don't! keep talking, joking, and rember to thank as many of them as posibal, make eye contact and say thank you. It is often to easy to start talking to one person and miss people.
Remember at this moment in time your a star, a real performer, WOW, by thanking EVERY ONE, you will leave them with lasting impresion of wow i had a god time. not i gave him monny and he brushed me of... Smile
sory but I love the street Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2002-06-05 07:16, Starry wrote:

"There have been some injuries reported from people throwing change toward the hat. So in order to prevent any injuries, we ask that if you are going to throw a coin, it would help if you carefully wrap it up in a dollar bill ..."

Live the magic!

Ace

I've seen a Renaissance Faire juggler say something quite similar. It seems the more casual you are about it, even making jokes, the better off you are. It puts them more at ease with the concept and differentiates you from the "street beggar"

His signature "hat" is a knit cap that he wears with his costume (sorry, GARB) that, when he takes it off to talk about "filling the hat" people then see that it's about six feet long! Gets a good laugh, and probably a few more tips as well!
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
An oldie...but a goodie!

I love diggin round the archives...never know what you're gonna find Smile
Robin Z
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Robin Z
Thanks for bringing the thread up again, it would've been terrible had I missed this one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Passing the hat (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL