The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Snowstorm song (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magicfingerz
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Magicfingerz
I am bored with my snowstorm routine. So I am going to re-choreograph it. Does anyone know any good songs for doing Snowstorm in china??
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
Wow - Unlimited choices, I suppose.

What is your goal? Emotional, slow, upbeat, angry?

Picking a song is so personal, it's tough to just offer one up for you without knowing where you want to take it.

Don't forget you could do it with no music as well, depending again on your goal.

--- Guy
Magicfingerz
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Magicfingerz
Upbeat, yet I want it to sound Asian and authentic. Im just having a little truble finding one. Any suggestions would be great.
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
You do know, of course, that it doesn't have to be "Asian", right?

Although it is marketed as the Snowstorm in China, you don't need to limit yourself to an Oriental presentation.

Alas, I don't know much in the way of Asian music, so I don't think I can help in your quest.

Good luck, though.

For reference, a few years back, I performed an "over the top" Snowstorm, absolutely filling the stage (I think I went through a dozen snowstorm loads) to the Bangles remake of "Hazy Shade of Winter." It had just the right musical punctuation I was looking for at the time.

--- Guy
Magicfingerz
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Magicfingerz
I am aware. I just want it authentic because I am using paper cranes and other parafanalia. Its just my taste. Any suggestions would be great. I also like techno.
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
475 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
There is a Japanese Jazz group that recorded a lot of fantastic music. They are called Hiroshima. You could also check into Video Game Soundtracks, like the Final Fantasy series. They always have a female Asian artist singing a techno-pop type song either at the Opening or Ending sequence (And sometimes Both). Some of those songs are very melodic and would work well with what you might have in mind. Hope this gives you a place to start.
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
Sorry - I guess it's my interpretation of "authentic." That's my issue, not yours Smile

The best I can do from my minimal Oriental experience is to suggest doing some net searches for some classic tunes, and if there are Asian music charts, find some tunes that spent a ton of time on those charts; you'll likely find something with the musical tempo and pops you want.

I imagine there is an Asian techno scene as well; it's worth a shot to Google around, find a message board on Asian techno, and ask for recommendations on classics of the genre.

Good luck.

--- Guy

PremiataForneria -

That is a GREAT idea. And yes, Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and X had incredible soundtracks.

And, some members of the audience will instantly recognize your music.

Brilliant!

--- Guy
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A long time ago, I did a Chinese act. This was before political correctness became a way of life. So I decided to find some authentic Chinese music for the show. The selection was quite limited, and none of the things I found had the kind of feel I wanted.

Then I remembered a recording I had of Koto player named Kimio Eto. Koto is a Japanese instrument, but I figured, what the hey! Who will know? Right?

The music was pleasant, had a nice beat in certain spots, and fit what I was doing perfectly.

So I debuted the act one Friday night. The manager of the club came up afterwards and said, "I LOVE the new material. Just one thing. That music isn't Chinese, is it? It sounds just like this fellow I knew in Okinawa when I was in the Air Force. His name is Kimio Eto."

BUSTED!!!!

The interesting thing was the he didn't want me to change the music.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of David Todd
It is interesting how we get attached to associations with the names that are given to certain tricks such as Snowstorm in China .

Who's to say the snowstorm has to be in China ? Or Japan or any Asian locale ? How about Manhattan Snowstorm or Snowstorm in Aspen ?

Music could be Winter Wonderland or I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas , to pick two very obvious examples ?
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1901 Posts

Profile of chmara
Did Native Americans who lived on the plains have special dances and chants for/during snow??? Carlos Nakai may know.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Nice thought Chmara

Can anyone suggest a good soundtrack for the snowanimator? an instrumental piece which is slow moving. I do 3 loads so I am looking for music that builds to a cresendo twice and then builds to a climax in the end.
Can someone help?
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
475 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
GuySavoie-- I just re-listened to a single from the Final Fantasy X game titled "Suteki De Na", sung by a Female Japanese vocalist called Rikki. It is a very melodic and moving piece of music. If you have the opportunity to ever hear this song, I think you will enjoy it. There is no mystery, Music is everywhere... even on Video Games.
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
I gave it another listen - it is indeed a great piece. Perhaps Magicfingerz will give it a try.

--- Guy
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
475 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
GuySavoie-- Oops!, My Bad! I lost track of whom asked the original question. However, I am glad you enjoyed the song.
Joe Mansfield
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Joe Mansfield
Hiroshima.
Magixspinx
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Magixspinx
Try the music "Allegria" By cirque du soleil.
Is is the PERFECT music to snowstorm.
edfliss
View Profile
New user
St. Louis, MO
58 Posts

Profile of edfliss
Try something that doesn't violate someone else's copyright!

You can find a royalty-free version of the Nutcracker Ballet (not the suite!). There is really great snow music at the end of act I and a Chinese dance in Act II. I personally don't use these (I use a non-melodic light ambient track that sounds vaguely asian and suggests snowfall).

BTW--the Arabian dance from Act II is a great background for a flying carpet suspension (although, again, I use something else).

Ed
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
221 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
I saw a snowstorm routine using music from "Edward Scissorhands". Very neat!
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
One of the Olympics sound tracks and I don't know which year but it works well. I recorded it but don't know the artist or the year. I am on the look out for it myself as it also works well for a levitation.
fredpaulbailey
View Profile
New user
Fred
51 Posts

Profile of fredpaulbailey
I use Robert Miles "Children"

Check it out. I think it's perfect. I close with the effect and let the music keep playing.

Let me know what you think.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Snowstorm song (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL