The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Houdini Pinball Machine!! (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
American Pinball is releasing a new pinball machine based on Houdini. Combines 2 of my favorite hobbies, pinball and magic. The detail on Houdini is amazing. I noticed that they hid a picture of Mac King eating a goldfish on the side art. If you have any interest in pinball, even if you don't have any interest in pinball, you gotta check it out.

If you haven't seen a modern pinball machine you are not going to believe the advancements. Houdini has two LCD screens. A large one in the backglass that is made to look like a stage. While everything is not exactly historically accurate, American pinball did do their research on Houdini and I think it is a fitting tribute to the magician. I believe the game uses Houdini movie clips on the display and has a great original sound track. It also has a catapult shoots the pinball from the milk can escape to a trunk half way across the playfield. It's crazy!

Ok, the price... $6,995. Actually is a great value as pinball machines go. These days pinball machines start at about $5,500. I'm very close to buying one. The game will be going into production in a couple months.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Have not seen a pin-ball machine in about 30 years in the U.K.
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Let's try that image again. If it does not load, here is a link to pictures:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/......allery#g

Click here to view attached image.
Clever stuff goes here!
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Pegasus,

Pinball is making a resurgence. There are thousands of machines produced annually. The home market is starting to take off with people buying them for their families. "Barcades" are opening in many cities - including my little city in Iowa. Believe it or not, competitive pinball is also taking off and being covered as a legitimate sport!

Magic is a favorite theme for pinball fanatics so a Houdini machine was just a matter of time.
Clever stuff goes here!
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Very cool! I want one Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Haven't played Pinball in years but I always enjoyed it and I would LOVE to have one of these in my home. I would likely become addicted to it though so maybe not a good idea. Add to that the scolding I would get from my financial planner not to mention my wife (although she would probably get addicted to it very quickly as well.)

I'll have to ponder it a bit and decide if it's worth selling a kidney for.
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Tell your financial planner that it's an investment. Pinball machines have been appreciating for several years now. A Medieval Madness purchased in 1997 for $3,000 is worth at least $8,000 today. That's a 5% annual return. That's better than a CD and you get to play it for 20 years!
Clever stuff goes here!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Awesome! Placing my order tomorrow. Even wife was excited.
Caveman
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Caveman
Love it!! great concept.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2017, emyers99 wrote:

Smile Smile
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1581 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
The video is of an older prototype. Here is the latest. Many little changes.

https://youtu.be/YJ7nuUnmTQM

I think I'm in. There will be some options available as well such as Magic Glass, inside-side art which looks amazing and a shaker motor.
Clever stuff goes here!
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
I have put my deposit down with a dealer/distributor. I have been in eMail conversation with the programmer of the machine and have seen some amazing videos of the play. The machines are slowly leaving the factory in Chicago (about 2 dozen a week) I can’t wait to get mine! (Was initially promised by 2nd week in Feb - now I am being told the middle of March or early April - we shall see) I have the space cleared out and ready to receive it!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
When can we come over and give it a try Rhett? Smile
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
A local arcade here in Madison, WI has this machine. I had a blast playing it in January. It's visually sumptuous and the Houdini theme isn't just pasted on; it's well integrated throughout the gameplay. When your ball visits the Magic Shop it vanishes and reappears elsewhere, which is fun. Each time you manage to open up the Mainstage, a classic Houdini effect is initiated, which are effectively mini-games. Some have normal pinball goals of shooting ramps X and Y or whatever, but the Upside Down Straitjacket Escape inverts the flippers, which is pretty insane and nicely on theme. Card Scaling is a quick videogame on the monitor triggered by the flippers, which is a fun change of pace. There are 8 or 10 of those. A couple times I hit a planchette and triggered Seance Mode, which is multiball play with spooky lighting.

If any pinball/Houdini addicts want to make a pilgrimage, here's the arcade's link:
http://www.geeksmania.com/
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
J.M. Talbot....

I actually have invited any magicians who are interested and able to (whenever it is eventually delivered) to come over to the house and experience it’s gameplay. You can see the machine’s played in online YouTube videos.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Very cool Rhett. Wish I was in the area Smile Let us know what you think after you receive it.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2017, emyers99 wrote:

X2 Smile Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
The best part about owning your own machine is not only the FREE PLAY but you get to set up INFINITY PLAY by sliding the cover glass down and placing an obstacle in the way so that you never lose the ball. Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
My Houdini pinball machine is on its way to my house! The detail that went into this game is insane. The guys at American Pinball really did their homework. It includes special modes for each of Houdini's movies. Modes for 10 of his illusions and escapes. It has 5 secret missions modes celebrating the famous rumor that Houdini was a secret agent. There are a bunch of hidden "easter eggs" within the artwork like a monkey with a bandage over his "groin." Guess what that one is about!

The music is fantastic. The voice actor studied one of the only voice recordings of Houdini to emulate his voice and style. Amazing.

If your interested, I would recommend my pinball dealer, Great American Pinball in Chicago.
Clever stuff goes here!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Houdini Pinball Machine!! (20 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL