The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "all done by coindness..." Now Available from BBM (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Just because misleading advertising and hype is commonplace now doesn't make it an excuse, and we call it out in may of those situations, too.
Clearly we're not the only ones, Tony, and Trickiewillie have said it, too and so far you're the only person to jump in on the thread and say "it's not quite as bad as all that ... but yes, it's still misleading."
And I'd point out that I've seen a lot recently that are very truthful.

I'm glad that you know Tom's work well enough to buy the notes regardless, but this is not a pleasant first experience with his work.
Craigers
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Craigers
"Some people, I think, look for tricks that will "do themselves," so they can sit back and take credit for being a magician without having to learn all those pesky sleights and moves"

Yes I do, and I do so shamelessly. As a hobbyist, although I practice those pesky sleights and moves, I have limited time to do so. Still I try the best I can, some better than others. Self working, super easy to do and semi automatic tricks help me gain confidence when I do my "shows" for friends, family and colleagues.

Ray,I tip my hat off to you working pro Magicians. you deserve all the credit for the work you put into your profession, but please do not act condescending to the hobbyist magicians who have no other ambitions than to do a wee bit of entertaining now and then. I certainly don't sit back and take credit for being a magician, but my young nephews and nieces are thrilled that their "Uncle Craig" can do magic !!

The Magic café forum is a great place for me to come to, but please remember that it exists for "Magicians" of all skill levels and ambitions.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Excellently put, Craigers. I don't always like to do them, but I completely agree semi-automatic tricks have their place and can be extremely wonderful for hobbyists, or even just those professionals who only want to dabble in coins.

That's what I'd had in mind when I'd said the post was patronizing, but you phrased it much better!
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I was a professional for only a couple of years in my early 20s (I just turned 68). I didn't like the lifestyle and so wound up working in publishing for 30 years. Rather than a hobbyist, I consider myself an amateur--in other words, I consider my performances to be on the level of a professional, but I don't charge money and I don't work nearly as often as a professional.

I don't look down on anyone who wants to perform magic but doesn't have the time or motivation to develop any major skills and just wants to be able to do a few easy tricks to entertain family and friends. I was disturbed by what appeared to me to be an unwarranted denigration of a fine set of lecture notes, when it was really the ad copy that people felt deceived by.

I tend to look past the hype. I go more by who is putting out what. Big Blind Media does engage in a bit of hype. But they also put out some great stuff--by Bannon, Liam Montier, and others. However, I agree that just because something is commonplace doesn't mean it's OK.

There are many books and DVDs of self-working card tricks. Coins, not so much. The first BBM DVD on self-working card tricks is excellent. Also, Giobbi's three volumes (Card College Light, Lighter, Lightest) are great.

For coins, there is Karl Fulves' book Self-Working Coin Tricks. There was a book by Bob Longe, I believe, that also had easy-to-do coin tricks, but I can't remember the name of it and was unable to find it.

Also, you may want to look into the two gaffed tricks I mention above: Scotch and Soda and Hopping Halves.

There is The Big Penny in the Dobrowolski set of lecture notes. Kids go nuts when they see a giant penny. This trick requires you to classic palm a penny, but you could get around that by using some sort of adhesive on it, such as double-stick tape, so it stays attached to your palm. And of course, in addition, you'll need a giant penny.

I hope that helps.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "all done by coindness..." Now Available from BBM (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL