The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Void - new thought of card solution (52 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1632 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
In his new release Void, Method author Steven Palmer attacks the thought of card plot. It's an intriguing read, Palmer combines a bunch of stuff from the parallel worlds of card magic and psychological mentalism to create a heavy hitting routine that is nigh on impossible to backwards engineer.

I had a peek at a development copy and it's been updated and reworked to clarify and streamline the mechanism since then - he describes it as a reputation maker and it certainly could be. The routining nicely joins a bunch of different methods together in a logical structure. Here's the effect:

The deck is cut by the punter, given a genuine riffle shuffle, the punter deals off cards stopping when they choose, then from these cards they focus on just one. You never see the card, but with a very simple process you can tell them what it is. That's it.

It's a practical real world method that Steven has been using for some time and it shows.

He gives a load of different variations and handling that allows you to find your own path through the system, which I like. One of the things I think is a hidden gem is a prop that Steven explains the creation and use of within the framework of the effect. It's kind of a remarkable little utility that I've been really excited by - it takes practically no time to make, and is a really useful little tool for all kinds of card stuff.

It's worth checking out if you are looking for a feature piece of card magic.

https://www.thought-reader.com/void
-+: https://www.mythologycodex.com :+-

A collection of incredible jaw-dropping mentalism, now available.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1352 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Okay, I had a look at this and I certainly have some thoughts on it.

Let me start by saying that this book contains a myriad of ideas. The majority of the bookís focus is on different ways to maintain a stack with the performer shuffling or the spectator shuffling, or the spectator cutting, etc. Thereís not much in new ideas here, but what is presented are all workable methods which are reliable and could be counted on in the professional world.

With that out of the way, the focus of the book is on revealing a thought of card. Philís post above sure made it sound like it was a new technique being used. Iím sad to say, I donít see much new here. Essentially, Steven has taken a mix of classic techniques and put them together to get this. When it comes to actually revealing the card, all of these ideas have seen print before. They may not have been combined in this precise way, but the individual pieces have been out there and used by themselves. Truth be told, if Iím going to do a card reveal, Iím not fond of using this method. I think there are better techniques for that. This reminds me a lot of Ted Karmilovichís Ultimate Princess (which I have used successfully both on stage and close up for a few years.) In my opinion, Tedís routine has a lot more going for it. Without being too blunt, the routines in this book require a bit too much !@#$**g. (No, itís not THAT word you dirty man!) The routines in Void also require quite a bit of set up. Not full deck set ups, but pretty much full deck set ups. I donít know. I really wanted to like this, but I just canít.

Ultimately, the techniques presented in this book will work and will work well. They are put together very nicely. But do not expect anything new here. Steven has done all the hard work and combined different methods together to give you this effect, so if you value that, this is for you. For me, there wasnít enough new here for my liking. I certainly wonít use it. There are already similar effects in my repertoire which I favor over this.
If youíre looking for the best ďthink a cardĒ effect available currently, I suggest ďOnce RemovedĒ by Michael Murray. It uses a full deck stack, but itís as ultimate as this plot gets. It uses a deck of cards, but they have a completely free choice and it is completely un-backtrackable.
I say if youíre waiting for the ultimate PROPLESS ďthink a cardĒ plot, hold on for Isolation by Michael Murray.

Madison
dylan magic
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of dylan magic
Thanks for the review Madison.
I do wish you would of read the forward in full after hounding me for a free review copy.
In the foreword, I do clearly state that there the material in the book is a combination of existing methods and my subtleties and how to combine them together. I do not state that the ideas are new or groundbreaking.
Actually, the method for the original "void" is new to me and a few other very well read mentalists and card magicians. I can only assume as a "mentalist" your knowledge of card magic isn't at the stage to appreciate some of the methodological nuances can be appreciated.
as you have had the copy approx one week I find it difficult to see how many times you could've performed any of things in the book to get a real-world opinion of its effectiveness.
The routines in the book don't require a heavy set up, certainly nowhere near a full deck. It's amusing how you don't like a set up of say 2 cards (see the routine skeleton key) but laud a full deck set up routine later in your review??
The divination aspects of the cards and the routines you mention can appreciate may seem scary at first and with a week to learn and perform I'm not surprised you were put off.
The sheer logistics of you having had the book. learned the material and performed everything in it to give an accurate real-world opinion is impossible, hence, unfortunately, I cannot give any credit or value on your review.
I don't have a section on revealing the cards, again perhaps you should have paid more attention the content when I say that is up to the individual how reveals the card, my focus was on impossible looking methods to gain a thought of card.
I'm sure mentalists and card magicians would agree the "best" method is an I~~~~~~E deck. However, some people don't want to use gaff decks (myself included) so I designed routines that didn't need a gaffed deck to perform.
My methods in the book are completely "unbacktrackable" to laymen, I have lived with and used all the material for many years in performing situations.
I never claim the method to be "propless". The routines are card routines, plain and simple, so to compare my methods to "propless methods" is comparing apples to oranges.
As for Mr Murrays "Isolation" routine, I am a fan of Murray's work so I'm sure it will be good if "propless" is what you want. Since this routine isn't out yet I don't see how you could rate that as it is not yet released??
Anyway, as I said I wish perhaps you would have given the book a proper read, learnt the material and used it. Then perhaps you would've understood the material for what it is, not what it is not and never claimed to be.

Regards
SP.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Glad to see Madison giving his honest thoughts on material he is receiving for free. Hopefully it might start a healthy trend.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1352 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Hi Steven,

Hounding is a bit harsh. I simply asked you if you had any review copies available. You said no. I said (and I quote) ďNo problem! Good luck with the release.Ē and went on my merry way. You then messaged me again 6 days later and asked if I was still interested in a review copy.

So ďhounding you for a review copyĒ is a bit much.

Also, I was a card magician first and foremost. Iím sure the people here on the Cafť can attest to that. A year or so ago, I learned many slight heavy card effects from Blomberg Laboratories and uploaded them to YouTube to much rave reviews. I have been doing card magic for literally 13 years.

Iíve been doing Mentalism a little over 5 years or so. Only getting heavily into it the past two years.

To say Iím not well versed in either would be a totally incorrect statement. Iím perhaps one of the most well read members of the Cafť in both areas of card magic and Mentalism. In fact, I am the perfect person to review this book and have the credit to vouch for it.

Please read my review again. I state that you combine the methods and that your methods will work and will work well. They just arenít my cup of tea.

As for why I mentioned a full deck stack, my point was, if youíre going to use a near full deck stack, you might as well use a full deck stack and get a much cleaner effect.

As for Isolation, Michael and I have Skyped about it. Iíve seen its workings so I believe I have the right to say itís a good product even though it hasnít been officially released Smile

Youíre correct. I only performed the first routine from the book on my girlfriend. Sheís my guinea pig for testing new effects. If it fools her, itís a keeper, if she sees through it, it makes me reconsider. I wonít say which outcome came from the performance of the effect from this book Smile

As for the method for the reveal, I wasnít ďscaredĒ as you believe. I perform Mentalism professionally. Have you seen my performance of Mind Peek from Proteus? It uses similar techniques. I think I do quite well with it. I use it in my stage shows. Iíve also used a great variety of other fishing techniques and theyíve all worked successfully. My issue here is just that: Iíve used all of these techniques. They arenít new.

Ultimately, the book wasnít for me. I read it multiple times over the week Iíve had it. Itís not for me. Perhaps someone out there will love the routines within. That someone just isnít me. I appreciate the amount of work you put into the book and I appreciate your combination of methods which I know DO work. We just donít see eye to eye here and thatís fine! Iím not trying to convince you that youíre wrong. And you also wonít convince me that Iím wrong. We both have opinions. In this case, we are both right! Opinions vary.

And thank you Martin! You guys asked for my honest thoughts even on products Iím not especially fond of. Youíre getting it! Even if it means irritating the creator to the point seen above XD

Madison
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
612 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Lol, if you send out your product for reviews, donít be miffed when you get them and they arenít what you want. Kudos to Madison for writing his true opinion and not being swayed by free.
dylan magic
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of dylan magic
Madison,
The past three PDFs Iíve released youíve emailed straight away to ask for a review copy.
If the books not for you then fine, I appreciate that.
But when your review discusses method, and your act and promotes another creators effect, then simply put your review isnít very good or impartial.
I appreciate your time.
Itís a shame your g/f wasnít fooled, if I had performed it for her Iím sure the outcome wouldíve been different. As I said you canít of had enough time to learn and digest the material to give it a proper performance.
Iím not ďmiffedĒ, every one is free to like or not like effects, the quality and content of the review is what irked me.
Best wishes
Sp
ArtIn
View Profile
Special user
Berlin
920 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Thank you Madision! Would love to read more honest reviews like yours!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18487 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think its interesting that Madison ASKS for free copies for review - I'd not heard of someone doing that before, but I'm sure it goes on...

...and I actually appreciate both his and dylan's viewpoints... however, I am leaning towards dylan's comments, as having a week to review something, understand it all and then get experience with it - especially if you're busy with life stuff and even more so if its all about timings and the subtleties (as most things are)...

i mean, would anyone read bob cassidy's 4DT, then go out and perform it at a gig in a week?

actually, don't answer that... Smile
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3510 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2017, MadisonH wrote:
Iím perhaps one of the most well read members of the Cafť in both areas of card magic and Mentalism

Iíd say this is highly unlikely to be close to true. There are a lot of us oldies on here with extensive libraries, who have been reading these books for over 40 years. You may well be very well read for your age but many of us oldies had read at least as much as you have when we were your age, and we were your age a very long time ago Smile

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11713 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2017, Martin Pulman wrote:
Glad to see Madison giving his honest thoughts on material he is receiving for free. Hopefully it might start a healthy trend.

(chuckle)
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11713 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2017, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2017, MadisonH wrote:
Iím perhaps one of the most well read members of the Cafť in both areas of card magic and Mentalism

Iíd say this is highly unlikely to be close to true. There are a lot of us oldies on here with extensive libraries, who have been reading these books for over 40 years. You may well be very well read for your age but many of us oldies had read at least as much as you have when we were your age, and we were your age a very long time ago Smile

Mark

I'd have to agree with Mark. I have performed magic for over 30 years, 15 solid years in the corporate/mentalism market. I wish I could read.

(no better way than to insult 3/4 of the Cafť members!)

Can I have a review copy somebody?

PS: I do enjoy Dylan magic.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
dyoung
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of dyoung
This has got to be my favourite thing ever written on the Cafť:

"Iím perhaps one of the most well read members of the Cafť in both areas of card magic and Mentalism."

All the best,
Dan
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1352 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
No offense meant by the line fellas!

I know there are people here who have been in the business much longer than I. I merely meant I am very well-read.

I should have said ďone of the most well read.Ē But rather I should have said, ďI am VERY well read. ESPECIALLY for someone my age. With 15 years of being in this field.Ē

Again, no offense meant to any of you Smile

Madison
dyoung
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Too late now... Im already printing up a tshirt with the quote.

//Dan
dyoung
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of dyoung
First draft:

https://ibb.co/dcs0qw

All the best,
Dan
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1078 Posts

Profile of taller8
Perhaps we give people too much credit just because they reviewed something.

Credentials should come into play at some point.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1352 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2017, dyoung wrote:
First draft:

https://ibb.co/dcs0qw

All the best,
Dan

Iíll take 10!

Madison
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Why do people who sell magic and mentalism products never demand to know how many "real world" performances have been undertaken by people who post glowing reviews?

Nor do they seem to care when reviews are posted after one reading of the effect -as long as it's a rave.

Funny that.
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
747 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Madison never said he was THE most well-read. He said he was ONE OF THE MOST well-read on the Cafť. And I personally believe this, despite his young age, to be absolutely true.

You donít need to apologize Madison. If there is something in the world you cannot be accused of, itís arrogance.

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Void - new thought of card solution (52 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL