The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Show Management Software (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Miracle Man Show
View Profile
New user
Indiana
56 Posts

Profile of Miracle Man Show
I've been using ShowMan, a shareware database that has been designed specifically for magicians. I have been using it to develop an inventory of my props. Does anybody else use a software package that integrates inventory, routining, performances, library, scripts, quotes, etc.?
Tom McCormick
"The Miracle Man Show"
There's only one Miracle Man, that's Jesus Christ; I just get to do a show about HIM.
www.themiraclemanshow.com
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Where do you obtain ShowMan? It sounds like a very interesting and useful program.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Miracle Man Show
View Profile
New user
Indiana
56 Posts

Martin,

ShowMan is a shareware program written by Wayne Lampel. It is a database written in foxbase some time ago, but is still a very useful tool.

It can be used by all types of performers, but was specifically written for magicians.
I'm not even using it to it's full potential yet. I'm still trying to catalog all of my props. But should I ever have a break-in or fire, the inventory will even tell me how much I've paid for all that was lost(insurance companies like that).

Once my physical inventory is completed, I plan to tackle my library. ShowMan has a module for that, too.

If you PM me, I'll give you directions about how to download it.

OK, so I don't mean to be gushing over this program, but here's what I like about it.
It works like a card file. For every piece of equipment that I own, I fill out a card on it. The fields on the equipment cards are practical for my needs. They are: Name (of the item), Date Acquired, owned (or not), cost (then a checkbox for if that is cost each), Type (e.g. close-up, parlor, illusion, balloon, lighting equip, costume, furniture, etc.), Where stored, Quantity, and then a large field for description.

There are similar sections for Routines, Acts, and Performances; with cards that have relevant fields for each section.

But the part that I like best is the integration. Once you have the equipment cards filled out, you create routine cards and link equipment cards to that routine adding to it your script, etc.

Act cards are a combination of routine cards, plus other relevant information placed in fields on those cards as well.

Finally, Performance cards have an act card linked to them as well as relevant information concerning the actual performance, such as contact information, fee, location, time. There's even a calendar feature.

It is labor intensive to get the thing going, and making a commitment to the time it takes to do it is the hard part for me. But for a very unorganized person like myself, this is what I need.
Tom McCormick
"The Miracle Man Show"
There's only one Miracle Man, that's Jesus Christ; I just get to do a show about HIM.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Hmm...there are some references to ShowMan, where you could download it that Google turns up, but they're all from 1998 and the websites no longer exist.

Could you post the current location?

Jeff
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Showman is a great product. I can see that once you have all of your equipment and effects logged into the database that it will do a great job of organizing your shows. A place to store your scripts and to modularly build your shows. Tell it to print and you have your whole show in your hands. Use it to memorize your show or to check and make sure everything you need is there and accounted for.

I'm looking forward to finishing the data entry, so I can really jump in and build my shows. I would say that this software should be used by every working magician out there. Hobbyists too, if for no other reason than to keep track of everything you own.

I would back up the databases by uploading them to your website storage space (you do have a website don't you - if not PM me). You would have to have your computer and your webhosting burn up simultaneously to lose your data. That is not likely to ever happen. You want that information for the insurance company.

It also has an Act like contact base so you can keep track of your clients and future clients. It really does have it all for a show business performer that uses props and routines in their show and needs to keep track of their contacts.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Miracle Man Show
View Profile
New user
Indiana
56 Posts

OK, so several people have downloaded the software now. Let me ask you to dream a little bit with me. What would the perfect program of this sort be able to do?

As for me, I'm thinking of scanner support, so I could take all of those instruction sheets that I've amassed and scan them into a sort of electronic filing cabinet (maybe in .pdf format).

Then, of course, photo support with keywords that can be attached to make them searchable. After all a picture is worth a thousand words.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Tom McCormick
"The Miracle Man Show"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22443 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Import/export would be nice. I do not see any way to import a database already set up. An uninstall is missing.

Connection to a Word Processor I did not see, for mail merge. Am I missing something?
x303
View Profile
New user
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada.
74 Posts

Profile of x303
And Where can we get this program?

Bob
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
I ordered MagicBase from Bob Miller Magic, Rochester Minnesota, and am very happy with it.
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Show Management Software (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL