The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » When spectators wants to examine a gimmicked item (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fengenroll
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
226 Posts

Profile of fengenroll
I'm just a newbie, I've practiced my routines for a while, I have performed for my girlfriend and my parents, and it went well. But now I thought I'd start performing for a group at college, or friends, but I'd like to include Scotch & Soda and Skinner's Monte to my act, so I've practiced these two, and I believe I know them very well by now.
Problem is if spectators asks to examine these items before the trick even starts, I know I'll get nervous and make mistakes.

Any suggestions?
F.
nike
View Profile
New user
ri
50 Posts

Profile of nike
When I used to do the skinner monte, I used to put 3 cards in my pocket. id do a few card effects with a normal deck (usually letting them examine before), put the deck in my pocket, "remember" that I had 1 more really cool thing to show and just add the 3 to the top

I'm sure there are better ways but that's 1 suggestion..
TwistedMindMajik
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN.
14 Posts

Profile of TwistedMindMajik
Depending on the "Scotch and Soda" set you are using, let them look at the coin...

The set I use are made by Johnson and once the trick is complete the gimmick is undetectable. (I’m being vague so as not to reveal any secrets.)

I have also secretly retrieved a coin from my pocket as the trick is drawing to completion, then do a switch (your favorite method) and drop the real coin and then pocket the gimmicked coin…
...did you see that?
Ember
View Profile
Regular user
London
121 Posts

Profile of Ember
When I am working restaurants I normally carry 2-3 effects that require gimmicks of one sort or another. These however are not regular parts of my act.

My normal routines last approx 5-6 minutes. I use these extra effects if the reaction I am getting is good and I want to do another couple of minutes for a table.

If I decide to do them then will be the third effect I show after having performed 2 effects with regular cards. Then they go away and I finish with another effect with regualr cards.

Incidentally, I think you always need a reason to be taking small packets of cards out of your pocket, why not use the regular deck? For example ESP cards, tarot cards, exotic designs, old cards, all of these could be good reasons for not using your regular deck.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
All good advice above.

But why not use ungimmicked items?

For example, if you are interested in my No-Gimmick Scotch and Soda, complete with story line and suggestions for using ungimmicked coins from any country in the world, just e-mail me and I'll gladly send it along to you, gratis.
That applies to anyone else reading this, too.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Everyone has given great advice, I just wanted to add in what I did with the Skinner Monte. I am not a card worker but there are a slew of easy card slights out there one can learn and with some practice master.

I'd put the three Skinner cards into a deck and force the three using three different slights - I never let the audience handle their selection as I put them either down onto my pad or left them hanging from the top of pack.

I'd do Skinner's Monte then return the cards to the deck and go into another routine with the deck. Doing a single added routine with the deck should work as I never crossed the Skinner cards. I'd go into a coin effect returning the deck to my case. When I needed the cards again I brought out an identical ungaffed pack.

Before I did that I tried putting three nongimmicked cards into the other side of the wallet, when asked to see the cards I'd bring out the three nongimmicked. That variation did not always work so I used the above method with out trouble.

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
radiantentertainment
View Profile
Regular user
Donald Collins
112 Posts

Profile of radiantentertainment
For any gaff I believe it is about outs, precautions, routining, and handling the items in a lackadaisical, open, and fair way.

For example I'll use S&S. Take two normal coins and imagine how simple and direct you would do it if you had real magic powers. Anything that varies from this is a discrepancy that adds suspicion. You need to resolve this with with your routine including presentation.

Out: You'll need a reason to trade coins but learn a non gaffed version and trade coins.

Precaution: The above out is one precation. Only perform gaffed effects for spectators that you doubt will offer such a challenge. Pick your helper carefully. Everything listed here is a precation to a degree.

Routine: Think about why the spectators are wanting to see the coins. Are you challenging them to the point they are trying to really hard catch you. Routine your presentation to where the spectators do not feel the need to examine the coins.

You are probably getting ready to place the coins in someones hands. There is examination enough. Let them know the coins will be left in spec.'s hand for all to examine. They probably wont challenge you farther than this.

The only reason they should want to see the coins is because the copper coin is strange to them. Let them examine the regular copper coin then do your fav. method to switch in the gaff. It is also possible to apparently show both sides of the coins as well.

Handling: Are you handling the coins in a very open and fair way? Maybe instead it looks like your handling expensive gaffs that are valuable to you and you are concerned with getting caught.

Apply these thoughts to your other routines and see if it helps. There is a good pamplet called outs precations, and challenges that will get some gears turning for you. Another book I suggest is Magic and Showmanship. Food for thought that I hope helps.
Life is not a dress rehearsal!
Less is more.
&
Knock'em dead!
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
When I buy a gimmick I tend to use it and examine it alot then work out how to do it with slight of hand - all I am saying is don't base your effects on gimmicks entirely start with ungimmicked effectsand build into the gimmicked effects if you need to
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » When spectators wants to examine a gimmicked item (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL