The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chris Ramsay - Chess Guess (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere Between Two Worlds
197 Posts

Profile of Sebastian Oudot
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of ed wood
The reactions he is receiving in that video are not pleasure or amazement. No one looks thorougly entertained. Just thoroughly irritated at a smart arse, show off beardy.
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2017, ed wood wrote:
The reactions he is receiving in that video are not pleasure or amazement. No one looks thorougly entertained. Just thoroughly irritated at a smart arse, show off beardy.

The environment he is performing in would play a huge part in the reactions. A lot of the people in the video are chess hustlers (look at his chess YouTube video from a while back), and will cheat to win, and those that don't hustle, are there to compete. Many carry on their shoulders a massive ego, couple that with a man who can claim to be able to read which hand the white pawn is in, and you get dismay, frustration, and the occasional laugh from the participants. Chris knows the attitude of the participants before performing, and that would obviously Would affect his mindset also.

You aren't buying his performing chops, or the environments he has decided to perform in.. this is a good thing, if you think that he didn't do well, the majority of people buying (considering the mainstream site it is on) will just mimic what he does, which is perfect for competent performers who can see the potential.

This combined with the pawn which hand routine (velvet?) in V2 would be killer. Start by using the receiver, and end with the prediction set out by Manos.
Lancy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Lancy
From the video link above I see one of the white pawns missing from the game board they have there.

is this done with borrowed chess pieces?
Therealmagician
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Therealmagician
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2017, Lancy wrote:
From the video link above I see one of the white pawns missing from the game board they have there.

No, you receive what you need for the trick. It says in the ad copy that it uses electronics.
Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 23, 2017, tomd wrote:
Quote:

The environment he is performing in would play a huge part in the reactions. A lot of the people in the video are chess hustlers (look at his chess YouTube video from a while back), and will cheat to win, and those that don't hustle, are there to compete. Many carry on their shoulders a massive ego, couple that with a man who can claim to be able to read which hand the white pawn is in, and you get dismay, frustration, and the occasional laugh from the participants. Chris knows the attitude of the participants before performing, and that would obviously Would affect his mindset also.

You aren't buying his performing chops, or the environments he has decided to perform in.. this is a good thing, if you think that he didn't do well, the majority of people buying (considering the mainstream site it is on) will just mimic what he does, which is perfect for competent performers who can see the potential.

This combined with the pawn which hand routine (velvet?) in V2 would be killer. Start by using the receiver, and end with the prediction set out by Manos.

That's an interesting point you're making here.

Like you've said, I think the most important is that we're buying a prop/tool.

After that it's up to us to adapt it in our own style and presentation depending on the environment.

When I saw the first video I immediately thought of Derren Brown for presentation ideas.

Quote:

Quote:
On Nov 24, 2017, Therealmagician wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2017, Lancy wrote:

No, you receive what you need for the trick. It says in the ad copy that it uses electronics.

You'll find more details on this video about the props.

You'll notice as well the routine at the beginning of the video.

It's in french but it's a more complete routine than the guessing game of the first video.

And again, as @tomd said, I guess it all depends on the context.

WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Ramsay put up a video on his channel of another way to use this sort of thing.

The posts above are absolutely correct - what you're getting here is a high quality electronic set, which allows you to know every time where the white pawn is. What you do with it from there is up to you. There are routines taught in the instructional video as well, but to be 100% honest, I'm super busy and haven't had time to watch it yet. Adam and Chris worked on it together, though, and they're super creative so I am psyched about it. I have my own ideas already on how I plan to use it.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 24, 2017, WitchDocChris wrote:
Ramsay put up a video on his channel of another way to use this sort of thing.

The posts above are absolutely correct - what you're getting here is a high quality electronic set, which allows you to know every time where the white pawn is. What you do with it from there is up to you. There are routines taught in the instructional video as well, but to be 100% honest, I'm super busy and haven't had time to watch it yet. Adam and Chris worked on it together, though, and they're super creative so I am psyched about it. I have my own ideas already on how I plan to use it.

Thanks Chris.

Do you have a link for the video you've mentioned?

Is it the one with the coin and body language?
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Took the plunge, looking forward to getting this in my hands.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
I would like to know how big is the r----ver and if need cables all around lol.... (will be better a single small unit) thanks
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2017, Sebastian Oudot wrote:
Thanks Chris.

Do you have a link for the video you've mentioned?

Is it the one with the coin and body language?

No - this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inn17Dqvsrk

Quote:
On Nov 24, 2017, lucavolpe wrote:
I would like to know how big is the r----ver and if need cables all around lol.... (will be better a single small unit) thanks

No cables. You can actually see him wearing it in the trailer, when he's wearing the white T-shirt (https://youtu.be/ndlpbPkmVMk?t=1m32s). You can also take the receiver out of the wrist band and palm it if you prefer. Maybe a little over half inch wide, 1.5 inches long, 1/3-1/2 inch tall? Very rough estimates.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Quote:

No - this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inn17Dqvsrk

OK that one. I thought it was another one than the one already on the thread.

Thank you Chris.
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Quote:
Adam and Chris worked on it together, though, and they're super creative so I am psyched about it. I have my own ideas already on how I plan to use it.

I am looking forward to receiving Chess Guess.
Can not say that I was impressed by the creative ideas about performing this, nothing new in my opinion.

What I do like is the storyline about how the person that gets the with pawn can start first in a chess game.
I am curious about other peoples approach and twists on Chess Guess.

Depending on the reach of the receiver I am thinking about a combination between a russian roulette and CMR routine where you put 10 or more cups on a table.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2017, Marc O wrote:

What I do like is the storyline about how the person that gets the with pawn can start first in a chess game.

This isn't really a "story." In chess, white always goes first. And this is a common way to decide which player can play white.
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Yeah sorry, I didn’t mean story as in made up but the story behind it.
It was not something that I did knew but will use now.
Yepski
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of Yepski
Just watched the 10 minute video above that starts in French, very interesting. Chris specifically says that this does not use magnets, curiouser and curiouser. Question, if not magnetic, can the gimmick be removed from the chess piece and used in other applications?
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2017, Yepski wrote:
Just watched the 10 minute video above that starts in French, very interesting. Chris specifically says that this does not use magnets, curiouser and curiouser. Question, if not magnetic, can the gimmick be removed from the chess piece and used in other applications?

Not without destroying its original purpose, it's build in. I don't have the gimmick with me, but have watched the tutorial, and from there speculate.
CR_Shelton
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of CR_Shelton
I presume it does use magnets, just not the big chunky kind we're used to.
An actor is a magician performing the illusion of reality.
www.ActingMagician.com
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2017, CR_Shelton wrote:
I presume it does use magnets, just not the big chunky kind we're used to.

No magnets.
CR_Shelton
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of CR_Shelton
RFID/NFC chips are powered by magnetic impulse from the reciever. If that’s not how this works I’d be very surprised.
An actor is a magician performing the illusion of reality.
www.ActingMagician.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chris Ramsay - Chess Guess (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL