The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Tensegrity (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Hi guys!

I was wondering what type of t***** do you guys use for Tensegrity. The type I am using does not seem strong enough to support an extra card or object on the second card. Any help or tips please?
Yours,

Ivan
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I've not done this, but thought about it.
I have 2 pictures/video of this, but the quality is too low to know what is used

Suggestions:
- do some trial runs with sewing thread, even stripping it a bit
- use lighter props - seems like the pencil would be the place to start, even just making it shorter,
- counter weight the cards
- double up on your IT

Let us know what works!

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Thanks for your tips.
Yours,

Ivan
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Another thing to try is separating some unwaxed dental floss. Those strands are pretty sturdy. Also with it being unwaxed, it is easy enough to color with a sharpie.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I think you'll find what you need here:

https://www.emagicsupply.com/

Vectra is the standard, but I have used X2 with good results with other effects with a bit of distance. Vectra is pretty strong though.

Doug
Kyle Elder
View Profile
Regular user
Fresno, California
119 Posts

Profile of Kyle Elder
Hello Niva,
I know this thread is several months old, I haven't been frequenting the Café much lately. I stumbled upon this and figured I would share a little bit that could help. Patrick Snowden is a good friend of mine and we get together often and brainstorm together. We have played with his tensegrity concept a lot and have come with up with interesting touches and new ideas. Patrick is keen on using IT that has absolutely zero stretch to it at all for both tensegrity and his floating pen. Some threads that most consider to be static IT still has a minute amount of stretch to it. As far as the pencil goes, Patrick is also a wonderful wood craftsman. The reason his pencil balances in an impossible way is because he has made his own custom pencil out of balsa wood. It looks like a completely normal pencil but is feather light and weighted on the lead side, which allows him to balance it with the eraser side sticking off the card, it looks so impossible. He claims to make the pencil is a pain.
Another thing I will share is Patrick intended Trensegrity as concept in of itself. We have had lots of fun playing with the concept. I have since come up with a way to do tensegrity type things Without gimmicked cards that we have played with. It is a fun concept and I know he enjoys seeing other playing the idea.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Tensegrity (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL