The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Chris Ramsay? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2019, HeronsHorse wrote:
Oh dear.
You took the time to (attempt to) address every single point I made, drowning it all in your pessimistic flair.
I apologise, for even bothering. I just don't know what else to say. I don't want to address your respobses obe by one because I fear it'll become an endless loop which I have no interest in.
As you will continue to depress yourself, people like me will continue to enjoy practising and getting those reactions.
I can't relate, sorry.
I think you might benefit from a new hobby.

PS. My point about packet tricks went over your head. I simply meant that because so many of them are just tricks with fewer cards from a normal deck, why buy those? It's silly when you can use your own cards. Most are a scam! Buy 4 kings and 4 queens and an ace! Only ten pounds! Bargain, not!
Anyway that's another debate (I won't be bothering with either).

Sorry you feel that way.

What kind of reactions do you get, out of curiosity?

Edit:
Actually, you're right. I would benefit from a new hobby.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2195 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2019, Terrible Wizard wrote:
And for every Mahdi how many failures?

Would you consider a careers advisor who told every student to just follow their dreams, even when those dreams were utterly unrealistic, to be a good advisor?

Moving goalposts. First you focus purely on the hobbyist and now you're talking about making it a career? Different things entirely.

Regardless - if the career adviser gave the advice of following the dream in such a way that also allowed the person to support themselves, then yes. One can have a job that pays the bills and save up money in order to make an easier transition into full time performing if they so desired, as many have done.

Professional performance is more about the ability to run the business side of things than being a phenomenal performer anyway.

But none of that really matters to my point - one can be an amateur, make no money from magic at all, and still be an excellent performer. The only thing stopping them is the discipline to improve. Everything you're saying is just an excuse to justify not putting more effort into improving.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Fair enough. I understand. It's my lack of effort. You're right. Well, I have no more time or effort to give than I already do, so I guess that's that Smile
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
I already said what the reactions are. Nothing different or unique. Just great reactions, faces of wonder, smiles, defences down, openness, enjoyment, respect.
To name a few!
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

But are they like you see on TV? Crazy loud running around screaming etc?
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2195 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2019, Terrible Wizard wrote:
But are they like you see on TV? Crazy loud running around screaming etc?

I've gotten those reactions when I do 'classic' magic, but I don't aim for them. Sponge Balls will make people scream and run around. It's not hard.

I want more of a 'stunned silence' followed by applause for my parlor shows, and for casual close up stuff I want more of the thousand-yard-stare, "what the f...." kind of reactions. Both of which I usually get.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
216 Posts

Profile of debjit
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2019, Terrible Wizard wrote:
Magic needs, I think, at least some mystique for it to work - now it has next to none. And not just because of the hideous YouTube tutorials of which there seems to be an infinite supply. But also because of a saturation of good, but on TV, magic, and a huge amount of easily available good resources (like books, DVDs, downloads, online magic shops, and even this forum).

I'm noticing more and more phrases like, 'magic is dead' crop up online and elsewhere. Mass TV and Internet exposure was just one part of what generated that sentiment. Mass teaching was another. TV street magic was another. And TV talent show style magic was yet another. Mobile phone culture is another. There's probably a few more. But magic, as it was, does, to me, seem to be if not dying then at least morphing into something else. Whether it'll be a good or bad transformation I don't know.

I sadly agree with this. The worst thing I think is the Julius Dein/Jibrizy style of fake camera magic because everyone shares them on social media and then expect us to do them and get those crazy reactions.
Bardin
View Profile
New user
Jenison, Michigan
46 Posts

Profile of Bardin
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2019, Terrible Wizard wrote:
Good points Smile

I suspect the magic is dead sentiment resonates more with hobbyists, since amateurs are going to a much harder time trying to be better than Dynamo and Shin Lim than professionals are.

It might be that amatuer magic live performance is dead (or dying) and that hobbyists will now only be seen at crotch-level 'doing tricks' on YouTube, or exposing the work of professionals, since the amatuer market for 'secrets' will never die.

I think a lot of professionals are going have a hard time being as good as Shin Lim, brother.
Bardin
bluejay17!
View Profile
New user
Zambia
91 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
Shin Lim is talented, but his main skill is publicity. He sells himself and his persona so well. There are magicians who are far more talented, but if you can't market, you will never get that famous.
ABREWCADABREW
View Profile
New user
Yokohama, Japan
15 Posts

Profile of ABREWCADABREW
And all the more reason I (remind myself to) do magic to be like me, not like anyone else - including those I respect and admire.
bluejay17!
View Profile
New user
Zambia
91 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
That being said, is Shin Lim doing magic like himself, or is he doing magic the way he believes will make him famous. Just some food for thought...
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8326 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2019, HeronsHorse wrote:
Chris also posted a so called reaction video where he sits and mocks Harry Blackstone Jr for his 1987 performance that had some technical failures. He seems to have no respect for Harry as a fellow magician. On the contrary, he throws insult to those that came before him and picks apart everything in the video.
I think that is gross. He's not qualified to lick Harry's boots. He's an internet magician who puts others down. I saw him do it to a fellow working magician, Matthew Furman. Mocked and belittled his personality. For internet views/ cash.
What kind of thing is that to do to a fellow magician?
He's no magician in my opinion.

NEMO DAT QUOD NON HABET!!! I agree with Herons Horse.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8326 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I also agree,strongly, with Witch Doctor Chris, and, Blue Jay 17!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Chris Ramsay? (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL