The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - coming June 4th! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27143 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Saw it Friday evening.
Was quite good, and more substantial than the earlier chapeters. Will probably want to see the next movies if made.

Yes, snape in drag. Take your worst fear and make it silly.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Beet,
My girlfriend and I read the fifth book to each other on our way back from Canada last summer. It was one the best parts of the trip and one of my favorite memories.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Ellen, Samuel,

Nice to know we're not alone - book 5's a bit of a slog to read out loud isn't it (but worth it). My wife does all the reading because I stumble my words too much.

If only Firedice was privvy to such pleasures Smile
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Just saw this last night and enjoyed the flick immensley.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Friends at work are telling me it is very good. I hope to see it this weekend.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Saw this film and thought the first two were better. I didn't like this new director, Alfrenso Cuaron or whatever his name is. I think Harry Potter need Chris Columbus back as director, IMO.
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Saw it last night with my wife. We thought it was excellent and definitely better than the first two. Having said that, one of the reasons I think it was better is because of the book itself. The story is very strong and doesn't tail off quickly like The Chamber of Secrets does.

I thought the direction was superb (particularly because the scene with the Dementors and the Patronus at the lake was exactly as I had pictured it in my mind - camera angles and all).

Mistro - kind of surprised you feel that strongly about the new director. I thought he did a very good job of keeping a similar feel to the film whilst stepping towards the darker side - quite scary in places. Interested to know what you didn't like.

I liked the kid in front of me in the cinema who asked his Mum if she could buy him a Hippogryph.

:)

Cheers,

Beetroot
TheHungryMagician
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TheHungryMagician
The old Dumbledore was better (never been good with names) and I perferred the book.
Forever starving,
Smile Hungry Smile
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I liked the idea of having a more dark image to the movie. But I didn't like the fact that they cut out a lot of the book when they transfered it to film. I wouldn't have minded if it was longer, just as long as they got the whole plot in. I mean they didn't even mention them winning the Quidditch cup! Over all I liked the movie, it's good to see that the quality isn't steadily decreasing and it is able to maintain the image it should have.

I also liked that the kids in the movie got older, but did anyone else notice that Malfoy is a little weenie now? He gets beat up by everyone.
triadsong
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
170 Posts

Profile of triadsong
We saw it last weekend and had mixed feelings. Overall I liked the feel of the film but was dissappointed in the amount of material from the book that had to be cut. Another wierd thing was the layout of Hogwarts changed -- at least too much for me. Hagrid's hut and the Womping Willow tree are now downhill? Overall we enjoyed ourselves and our daughter had the time of her life which is what counts in the end.
prof_dumbledor7
View Profile
New user
Nevada
9 Posts

Profile of prof_dumbledor7
For all us potter fans http://www.mugglenet.com is a great site its full of up to date news, facts, fun, and much more. The movie was great but a little too short. As to book 6 all she says is soon. I have a hunch it will be out next summer 2 years after Order of the Phoniex.
:coolest:
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
I have yet to see the new Potter film, I will soon as the first two were wonderful, but a quick note on the directors:

Chris Columbus, who directed the first two (and did a fantastic job), is a competent diector whose prior work consisted mostly of pedestrian family fare (Bicenntenial Man, Jingle All The Way, Nine Months). His replacement, Alfonso Cuaron, is a more ambitious and visionary director whose work includes the enchanting "A Little Princess," an interesting update of "Great Expectations," and the daring and absorbing exploration of morality, social class, and sexuality in Mexico entitled "Y Tu Mama Tambien" (if you see it, PLEASE be sure to see the unrated version). Neither of their track records speak definitely of who is more qualified to direct the Harry Potter films, but, as a lover of challenging and subversive cinema, I'd much rather see what Cuaron has to offer.

P.S.- Yes, after a too-long hiatus, I, Marko, have returned. Please, stop applauding Smile
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Quote:
On 2004-06-13 17:18, TheHungryMagician wrote:
The old Dumbledore was better (never been good with names) and I perferred the book.

I agree with you but since the actor (Richard Harris) died they had no choice but to replace him.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
Way too choppy! Hated Lupin and Dumbledor. But overall, it was pretty good.
I got the first copy of book number five from Borders right at 12:01. Won the costume contest. I dressed up as platform 9 3/4. I was a huge brick wall with half a person sticking out.
There's going to be some trouble trying to make books 4 and 5 into movies.
The great Sandwich!
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
While I think they got all of the important stuff into the film, I agree that books 4 and 5 are a big problem to solve.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - coming June 4th! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL