The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Epcot Boardwalk?? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
134 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
Hello,
Just thought I'd see if anyone knows anything about the Disney Epcot boardwalk?
I see that they have street performers and that the shows there doing are free.( so it's a paid gig)
Trying to track down who to talk to or where to audition.
Thanks,
Nickoli
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1167 Posts

Profile of imgic
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
EPCOT doesn’t have a Boardwalk. You’re probably thinking of the World Showcase. Those acts are oriented to their specific lands, I don’t think a magician would really fit in anywhere.

Possibly the Boardwalk at the Grand Floridian or Hollywood and Vine in the Disney/Hollywood Studios might work if you can set your act to the right period of time. You would still have to audition.

Don’t forget the magician (irony is, I’m drawing blank on his name) who started as a character (Goofy) and wrangled an audition for a spot in the Hoop de Doo Revie In Frontierland at Disneyland. Sometimes you have to think outside the streets.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
134 Posts

So cannot believe Disney called me back.

She mentioned to go to Disney auditions, after looking at that site nothing about the street performers.
I told her that, she said she needed to look further and would get back to me with details.

Keep you posted on the outcome
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
634 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
I sent you a PM
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
368 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
Let's just say an agent is a good idea, also have a family show promo reel. I used to work at the boardwalk resort and inn for a year before I moved to the cruise lines. A couple of the greats I've met had agents.

Is not necessary but it would sad be fine looking for the contact yourself!
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1121 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Disney's Boardwalk Resort is in between Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Way more than a hotel, the boardwalk features 4 sit down restaurants, a bakery, a pizza place, an ice cream parlor, carnival games, an art gallery, a dance club, a dueling piano bar etc. There is a Magic Themed bar called "AbracadaBar" that has a really cool vintage magic theme to it.

The "Boardwalk Buskers" appear nightly on the boardwalk (and during inclement weather in the hotel lobby and / or the restaurants / bars) from 7:00 - 10:00 PM. They rotate doing 20 minute shows in 2 spots on the boardwalk so one is usually coming out when the other is leaving. So there are 3 performers performing on most nights. These performers are NOT disney employees (aka "Cast Members") - they are contract employees but still hired under contract of Disney. In addition to magic they also have / had jugglers, sword swallowers, balancing acts / etc. Some great performers from the past include Brian Staron and Nick Paul (both have also performed at the Magic Castle), Jason Wethington (playing a British Magician character) and Kirk Marsh.

The current line-up of regulars is Magician Antwon Towner, Juggler / Mime Maks Annaev, Juggler / Rolla Bolla Balancer Adair, Sideshow Style "Coney Island Chris" and I think Kardenni is still a regular as well but I'm not sure if I've seen him this year or not.

Disney holds auditions for the these variety entertainers each year usually around January so keep watching Disney Auditions for it) and they are open auditions. The auditions are not just for the boardwalk as Disney also hires variety entertainers for the Disney Springs Shopping center, other resorts, and also for corporate events at the hotels and in the parks. In a podcast, Nick Paul talks about auditioning and not getting a regular gig, but being called in when another performer got injured and then being offered the regular boardwalk gig for 2 or 3 years.

Another side note....
Disney has in the past had magicians perform in the Rose and Crown Pub at Epcot... 2 of them being Jason Wethington (who later did the same British character at the Boardwalk) and John Armstrong.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1121 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Oh and a couple of other things... it is a paid gig and NOT a busking gig (even though they are called boardwalk buskers) - the entertainers are not allowed to take tips.

And a side note... There is one magician who is a Walt Disney World Cast Member... and that is the amazing Terry Ward who is also an Equity Actor and performs as "Jack Diamond" in the Citizen of Hollywood group at the Hollywood Studios Park. Terry performed at the Magic Kingdom as the magician in the Saloon show that is sadly no more... he's been at Disney close to 20 years (if not 20).
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
134 Posts

Hello Thomas R.

Thank you for all this info, this is what I was looking for.
Nickoli
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1121 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Glad my random Disney trivia knowledge could come in handy. Smile

For those in California, Disney has magicians in the Downtown Disney shopping district sometimes as well. I'm guessing it's a similar contracted deal.
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
368 Posts

For those that want to know, the street performers are apart of streetmosphere.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1121 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Who were the regulars when you worked there Chris?
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
368 Posts

The magicians? At the time I wasn't hugely into magic, but two magicians that sparked the fire were Brian Staron from the boardwalk and this Duo on sunset Blvd, dressed as cowboys and he did a card on rope which blew my mind
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1121 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Yeah Brian is fantastic. I was sad when he and Jason left the Boardwalk (at different times).

I wonder if that duo was Tony Brent and Danny Devanney... I know they worked Sunsey BLvd (and later at EPCOT at wonders of life...). I never saw them on Sunset so I'm not sure what all they did or the characters they played.
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
Nick,

May be a situation where you have to mail in hard copies of your promo.

Disney Talent Casting and Booking
Walt Disney Entertainment
P.O. Box 10000
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830"
Disney Cruise Line

Disney Cruise Line Entertainment
P.O. BOX 10210
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

Copied from a list ive sent promos to. Not sure if its changed.

Good luck. Tell Jen Hello

GG
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
134 Posts

Thanks for that,

All the best,
Nickoli
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
442 Posts

Profile of TKD27
I wish I lived in the area, I would absolutely audition for the Disney Boardwalk. On my first ever trip to WDW (about six years ago) I saw a magician perform there. Actually, I think two magic acts in one night, it was wonderful. My wife and I have been back to Disney several times since and I always go back to the boardwalk to try and relive that first experience, but rarely do we see a magician. I think the last two times there were no magicians there at all.

But man, I would love to be able to perform there, even just for a short run, just to have the fun of doing it!

Nickoli, I'd love to hear what ever came of it (if anything).
Connecticut Kids' Magician, Matt Matthews (formerly known as Matt The Balloon Man)
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
134 Posts

Hello,

Nothing as of yet.
The iron is in the fire .
Thanks,
Nickoli
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Good luck guy! I hope you get it. We're planning a 2019 trip to the World. If you get it, let us know and I'll look for you!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
368 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 15, 2018, TKD27 wrote:
I wish I lived in the area, I would absolutely audition for the Disney Boardwalk. On my first ever trip to WDW (about six years ago) I saw a magician perform there. Actually, I think two magic acts in one night, it was wonderful. My wife and I have been back to Disney several times since and I always go back to the boardwalk to try and relive that first experience, but rarely do we see a magician. I think the last two times there were no magicians there at all.

But man, I would love to be able to perform there, even just for a short run, just to have the fun of doing it!

Nickoli, I'd love to hear what ever came of it (if anything).

6 years ago may have been Brian Staron! Wonderful and very funny guy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Epcot Boardwalk?? (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL