The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Crazy Mans Handcuffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BBM123
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
98 Posts

Profile of BBM123
Hi,
I own Michael Ammar's Crazy Mans Handcuffs (it's pink) booklet. I am having a really hard time understanding the moves. I know I have no proof, but if you ask me, for example, what the first word on page 7 is, I'll tell you. I don't have time to go to the local shop so I don't have anybody to go to right now.
Thanks,
Loren
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10706 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I suggest getting Dan Harlan's video on rubberband magic.
This is the best source to learn the effect. And by the way M Aammar is not credited with the effect. I believe he is credited with the name CMH.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
I found Michael Ammar's manuscript to be a bit difficult to follow as well, even with all the pretty pictures. If you can PM me with the illustration you're stuck at, I can perhaps give you a hint. However, it's a very difficult thing to explain in words.

magicangirl902 is right; the best way to pick up the moves is to find a good performance video and see how it's done.

As luck would have it, Penguin Magic has an online demo of their CMH effect, Quantum Bandits. They follow the Ammar technique pretty closely, up to the "proving" methods.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=708

If you still can't get it, go for their Instant Download. It's only $7 and Oz does a great job of explaining the effect - it'll help you get much more out of your Ammar manuscript. As with most of Penguin's videos, the production value is very high on this one.
CG7c
View Profile
New user
Florida
40 Posts

Profile of CG7c
Ya I got it off Penguin Magic and I really like it.
Christopher
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
I agree with Vin. On the Dan Harlan tapes he explains it in great detail along with other very cool effects. I do walkaround about 4 times a week and I use it all the time. People relize that it's hard to make a fake rubber band and they are just blown away by some of the stuff you can do with them.
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
Or you could try Ammar's own video, Classic Renditions: Rubber Band Magic. The video has only a couple of effects on there, but no one can beat his teaching style.
denver
View Profile
New user
Athens, Ga
66 Posts

Profile of denver
I purchased the crazy man handcuffs, and was blown away by the printed steps and drawed illustrations. I will give the penguin magic one a look or the video.
technojeff
View Profile
New user
Jeff Whiting
24 Posts

Profile of technojeff
This is one of those tricks which needs a bit of application to get it going. I learnt, like you from the Michael Ammar text. I will say, it took me a few reads with a little space between them to get the moves into my hands. Once there it flows quite easily. Since learning it, I have seen a number of people doing their own variations, all of which had something going for them. However I still find Michael Ammars method to be clean and straight forward. I wish he had covered getting the bands together again, for that I also went to the Dan Harlan tapes, which I recommend.

Keep going with it, you will have a routine that will last a lifetime.
BBM123
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
98 Posts

Profile of BBM123
I think I understand it now. I have performed it for a few peers and have gotten great reactions.
Thanks for the help!
Loren
Showmethatagain
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Showmethatagain
It does take a few reads to understand it, the penguine demo cleared it up for me.
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
How important is the type of band?
Mine are slightly thicker than I'd like, and there's a not very loud but audible snap when I do the flick.

If I get my hands on much thinner bands is it likely to be better?

-Rd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Crazy Mans Handcuffs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL