We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2004 entrée: Wesley James » » The “Enchantments” of Wesley James—at a glance. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
The “Enchantments” of Wesley James—at a glance.

There is no such thing as easily “mastered” miracles; the existence of a Master precludes this. In my opinion, the only opinion with which I am properly equipped, video-only learning does encourage cloning. Immersion in book pulls your own soul towards it; the book is always better than the movie as testimony to this. There are scant few texts that embody true caring and love for the Art. Wesley’s Enchantments is such a tome.

While Wesley has long demonstrated his willingness to go to great lengths for the sake of clarity, to the benefit of the audience—no such promises are made when Wesley teaches his material. There are no short cuts to success; Wesley does not represent that there is. While Wesley James’ inclination is to ask effort on the part of the reader, Stephen Minch seems to require very little. Perhaps this is because Stephen views readers as his audience? In any case, Enchantments shows that the James-Minch joint effort is a fundamentally solid and productive one.

Not since the writings of Edward Marlo have I enjoyed such all-inclusive information, in this case in a substantially user-friendlier format. The material is not “Marlovian” in nature, though Eddie Marlo is well represented. In many Marlo efforts, beautiful handlings of strong effects have been inserted into unrelated material, and ignored in the respective tables of contents. Not so in Enchantments: its formidable and potent content is easy to navigate through.

To condense 500 pages of effort into a page is beyond me, and I’m not qualified at present to execute a full review. However, I do believe there are those that want to have a bit of an idea of what awaits them. The answer is, “Plenty!”

Those in search of commercial high impact, exceedingly performable material could have their entire performance within these pages. Forgery, Trapped Ace Surprise, Quick Three-Way (My Way), Hyper-Warp, The Crand-bler’s Prediction, all qualify. I believe “Brownian Movement,” contingent on one’s presentational skill, is a closer.

Wesley’s “Tool Box” is omnipresent, though there are applications for every tool included in abundance. There is purpose in dealing work: witness “Etude For Dealers.” Though I’m uncertain how “Fair Risk” was positioned in the book where it was, it is most certainly a significant contribution. Shuffle work is well included; big dividends await those who perform “I’ll Put Money On It” and “Color Triumphant” proficiently.

“Watch The Wild Ace” may well be the most powerful effect of its type created. I don’t know that for sure, but it is not what I expected—it is far better. Audience reaction will tell the tale more vividly for the performer than anything.

Wesley James does indeed tick me off. The ‘Moveable Card Pass’ and ‘Switchless Switch’ should not be further demonstrated. By this, I mean no disrespect, just an acknowledgement that Wesley knows and utilizes wheat, not chaff, from his scholarly studies. That stuff should just not be promulgated; I feel it is dangerously good.

The term “something for everyone” has long ago trited itself. Enchantments is absolutely not for everybody, and that is a very, very good thing. It is, however, a body of knowledge based on obvious love, hard effort, and caring—forged over decades.

For those who have any passion for their magic, seek to improve their knowledge, technique, and audience reaction—to not avail yourself of Enchantments immediately is only to commit a grave injustice against yourself. I salute Wesley James, Stephen Minch, and their many friends such as Matthew Field for this lasting contribution to what we love.

Randy Wakeman
Wesley James
View Profile
V.I.P.
Hazlet, New Jersey
372 Posts

Profile of Wesley James
Damn it, Randy, do you like the book or don't you?

Wesley James

P.S. Don't worry about the Moveable Card Pass or Switchless Switch getting out. Eddie put them in print years ago and few noticed. In a book as large as Enchantments they are far less likely to be recognized as the power tools you and I clearly know them to be.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
I take some comfort in the knowledge, that once sold out, your devastatingly dangerous dissemination of decimating deceptions will be held at bay for some time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2004 entrée: Wesley James » » The “Enchantments” of Wesley James—at a glance. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL