The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubik's Dream 360 by Henry Harrius (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5216 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
This is now available @ Reel Magic On Demand

Pays to subscribe to Reel Magic.
Nikita
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Nikita
When it will be on penguin magic?
KristoBall
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of KristoBall
Aw man - I am dumb. I bought and today received Rubik's Dream 360. I have yet to watch the video tutorial but I will say the shell is as advertised. Fantastic.

Unfortunately for me, I did not realize this is a companion (of sorts) to the regular Rubik's Dream. Certainly it can be used stand-alone but it does NOT include the mini shell, which I was hoping for. For those who have the original, what effects am I missing out on by lacking the mini cube? I really would like to do some cube matching effects, as well as those of the instant-solve variety.

Does anybody know if the mini shell is available to buy separately?

Thanks!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
3738 Posts

Profile of videoman
The mini shell is available separately but you have to contact Vanishing Inc directly and inquire about it. Plus, you are supposed to be a prior customer of Rubik's Dream and I'm not sure if buying the 360 alone also qualifies you. So again, you need to email VI and ask them for the link to the hidden web page. But be aware also that it is not always in stock.

You can perform many of the same effects with the mini shell and cube that you can do with the standard size. However, many of the moves and one-hand solves are very difficult to do with the mini cube because of both it's smaller size and also the mini cubes themselves are just not as smooth working as the larger size cubes.
KristoBall
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of KristoBall
That's very helpful information, thank you. I'll reach out to VI. Although now I'm thinking I'll just buy a regular RD kit and sell my 360 before I apply any stickers or anything, even though knowing I'll take a (hopefully small) loss. I mistakenly thought the 360 was the "next generation" of the standard package. It's still fabulous for what it is, but caveat emptor I suppose.

I guess I'm still confused then what the point is of the 360, now that I have it in hand... it seems to me to be an upgrade over the original shell, but that I'd be better off with the full base package that doesn't twist, to enable matching effects etc.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5216 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
This will be on the reel magic marketplace soon.....
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
3738 Posts

Profile of videoman
Did you buy the 360 from a dealer?
If so, ask them to allow you to exchange the 360 for RD if that is what you decide to do, just as you would any other non-magic item you would buy.
Depending on where you got it you should be able to do that.

I will only buy magic from dealers that are happy to accept returns, but I do realize that some dealers are still locked in this 1970's mindset of no returns/no exchanges which I'm not sure is even legal these days when purchasing via the internet.

But if you got it from VI, they are really good so you shouldn't have a problem.
KristoBall
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of KristoBall
Thanks everyone, super helpful as always. I did buy it from VI, though now I wish I had used the Reel Magic marketplace for the discounted regular version! Oh well. I'll ask VI but it's my bad for not reading the descriptions properly, and honestly, this thing is very cool so maybe it's much ado about nothing and I should keep it. The one thing I don't know is how MUCH better this one is than the regular one. I will say the locking is fabulous and I would be comfortable letting a spectator handle this version for sure.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
3738 Posts

Profile of videoman
Just keep it and get RD too if you can. Once you start getting a routine together you will almost certainly discover a very useful need for the 360.
They’re all super high quality and enable you to do some incredible cube effects.

Just be aware that doing a cube matching effect (matching a specs mixed cube) without involving any cover or paper bags is not really what these were intended for. Rubicon and Perfect Square were both designed for that and are better suited for that purpose.
KristoBall
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of KristoBall
Thanks videoman. Probably what I will do, though I was not planning to invest so much on this. Even so, all the different options have become quite confusing. I love the instant solves of rubiks dream and the general quality of the gimmick. But I also love the matching of Rubicon and I saw one effect that had a super Mario kicker (I seem to have lost the name of that one). Anyway it appears the one I finally did purchase was not exactly right but as you say if I complement it with the original rd or another, I'll have a total package. Thanks again.
Tomangerry
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Tomangerry
Are there any 55mm cubes with exact stickers etc as the 57mm takes a bit of locating if slightly offset so I would prefer a 55 . Any suggestions would be grateful Tom
KristoBall
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of KristoBall
Actually one more thing, what advantages does the 360 version really have over the standard? I get that one side rotates but to be honest I'm not sure that really adds a ton of value because I'm not sure an extra convincer is needed. There's no way laymen are thinking "that's a shell" and would want rotation to prove it.

Is the locking mechanism better than on the regular one? Because I have to say this one is really fantastic. And is there any other advantage I'm missing?

Just trying to justify keeping it to myself Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
3738 Posts

Profile of videoman
There is no locking mechanism on the regular RD. It's simply a 5-sided shell so obviously you can't show all 6 sides as with the 360 (hence the name) and a spectator cannot handle the regular RD.
One big advantage of the regular RD shell is that you can get a cube in and out much faster and easier which opens up opportunities for many uses.

Which is why the regular RD probably has a lot more uses overall but for those instances where the 360 will work then it's really cool to have it and be able to drop it into a specs hands and show it completely all around, etc. And rotating it is a nice convincer I think. Not necessarily purposely rotating it because you don't want to over prove, but making it appear as if it rotated almost by accident, if that makes sense.

Have you watched the 360 video yet?
KristoBall
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of KristoBall
Brilliant. That really does clarify it for me and hopefully for others as well. Unfortunately I had to fly out this morning for a business meeting and am heading back now so have not been able to watch it yet- apologies if a viewing will answer the questions I've posted to you already. Hopefully I can watch tomorrow and decide what to do. It does seem like both effects (and others) have differentiation and merit. I'll let you know what I think after I get a chance to watch it!
Tomangerry
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Tomangerry
I still think a 55 mm cube will work better in it as when placing in the bag it’s hard to get right every time . A 55 mm will be a breeze and there is away to stop the rattle Tom
KristoBall
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of KristoBall
Hi Videoman (and others) - so I took your advice and bought the original RD as well. In for a penny, in for a pound I suppose - though I figured maybe I would return or sell the one I don't want to keep. Now that I've watched both videos, I'm really warming up to the idea of keeping them both. I'm thinking I can craft a nice little routine using RD to do a match effect coupled with the Ultimate Paper Bag Solve (which alone is enough to justify RD 360 as others have said). It really offers a lot of flexibility. I may even try to recreate a stack for the matching that lets me perform that Super Mario effect from Perfect Square. Overall, both RD and 360 have advantages like you said. It's a bit of a bummer that almost everything needs to be done under cover of the paper bag but it's totally worth it, especially at the end (almost a kicker) where you show the bag empty and let the spectator briefly handle 360. For those of us without the skill/time/attention span to learn Cube3 type solves, I have to say these gimmicks are incredible. I've seen Greg Wilson perform Rubicon in person too and that behind the back matching routine he does is incredible - lots of possibilities with this stuff and these gimmicks. Thanks again for your advice.
Henryharrius
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Henryharrius
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2018, KristoBall wrote:
Hi Videoman (and others) - so I took your advice and bought the original RD as well. In for a penny, in for a pound I suppose - though I figured maybe I would return or sell the one I don't want to keep. Now that I've watched both videos, I'm really warming up to the idea of keeping them both. I'm thinking I can craft a nice little routine using RD to do a match effect coupled with the Ultimate Paper Bag Solve (which alone is enough to justify RD 360 as others have said). It really offers a lot of flexibility. I may even try to recreate a stack for the matching that lets me perform that Super Mario effect from Perfect Square. Overall, both RD and 360 have advantages like you said. It's a bit of a bummer that almost everything needs to be done under cover of the paper bag but it's totally worth it, especially at the end (almost a kicker) where you show the bag empty and let the spectator briefly handle 360. For those of us without the skill/time/attention span to learn Cube3 type solves, I have to say these gimmicks are incredible. I've seen Greg Wilson perform Rubicon in person too and that behind the back matching routine he does is incredible - lots of possibilities with this stuff and these gimmicks. Thanks again for your advice.

Hi Kristoball,

Welcome to the RD family! Be sure to check out the pinned post at official RD facebook group. There are lots of gold there from me and many great magicians Smile

Henry
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2289 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2018, Tomangerry wrote:
I still think a 55 mm cube will work better in it as when placing in the bag it’s hard to get right every time . A 55 mm will be a breeze and there is away to stop the rattle Tom

I use a 55/56mm cube in mine all you need to do is put a 1mm magnet or the amount required in the bottom and to one side of the RD to space your cube up, if you don't the top won't turn as it is supposed to.

We have them in stock here as well https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-mag......ius.html
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Tomangerry
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Tomangerry
Hi Mark where did you get the 55mm cube from ? Thank you Tom
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2289 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2018, Tomangerry wrote:
Hi Mark where did you get the 55mm cube from ? Thank you Tom

We sell these https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-mag......ube.html

It does not match the shell but that does not matter the way I use it.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubik's Dream 360 by Henry Harrius (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL