The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Grand illusion Ľ Ľ Grand illusion to perform alone? (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
828 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I didn't pay much more than $300 for a used Magellan. Buy the real deal, the cheap usually comes out expensive!
FasciN8
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of FasciN8
Well, I live in an RV and pay two child supports and raise my kids on the weekend and work full time so any hope for me comes from affordability or ingenuity. If anyone has a used Magellan, I would buy it in late January for $300. Being a magician is not about loyalty to the inventors asking price it is about making the illusion memorable and performing the act in a way that brings the meaning of why it was invented and sold in the first place to fruition by amazing people and keeping the mystery real. If I made a good living from a gimmick I invented and saw someone using a knockoff but performing it well and pulling off the illusion I would be complimented. The magic is the real invention and as long as people are doing that magic your idea will live on forever. Every song has chords that are shared with others. That does not mean the music is bad or should be scoffed at. Cover bands can make a song their own and still credit the artist who wrote it.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7377 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2018, FasciN8 wrote:
Well, I live in an RV and pay two child supports and raise my kids on the weekend and work full time so any hope for me comes from affordability or ingenuity. If anyone has a used Magellan, I would buy it in late January for $300. Being a magician is not about loyalty to the inventors asking price it is about making the illusion memorable and performing the act in a way that brings the meaning of why it was invented and sold in the first place to fruition by amazing people and keeping the mystery real. If I made a good living from a gimmick I invented and saw someone using a knockoff but performing it well and pulling off the illusion I would be complimented. The magic is the real invention and as long as people are doing that magic your idea will live on forever. Every song has chords that are shared with others. That does not mean the music is bad or should be scoffed at. Cover bands can make a song their own and still credit the artist who wrote it.

Here's another perspective to consider:

Quote:
Then there's also the matter of someone being ready for a certain level of prop. Generally as someone attains a certain level of proficiency and excellence their income improves allowing them to buy props, costumes and routines at that higher level. Sorry but generally young, even young and very talented, magicians aren't ready for the big leagues. They need to spend time in the trenches developing themselves before they become invested in big props, assistants and large scale illusion shows.

It's only my pathway but I started doing magic full time at 18 and for the first 4 or 5 years didn't own anything bigger than a wrist chopper and a Chalet Doves to Rabbit. Many of the best magicians in the world today earn a living and do exceptional magic with nothing more than a briefcase full of their props. No one "deserves" to own, perform or do big illusions.... Just my opinion.

Quoting Illusionist Murray Hatfield, in this post.

I added emphasis to that one sentence, because I think it is excellent thinking.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2682 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Hey Facin8,

What you are condoning is theft, pure and simple. How about I go over to your RV tonight and steal the food off of your table!

Itís such an Idiotic thought process! The thrives always try and make silly excuses why itís ok to STEAL from others, like they donít have the money, or itís all about the ďmagicĒ, or people steal music so itís ok to steal magic effects too, or they deserve it or itís their right to own and perform someone elseís intellectual property without permission, blah,blah, nothing but sad excuses to make them feel better about being a thief and performing stolen material or knock offs etc. Lame!

P.
Brand New: - MICRO VANISHING STATUE OF LIBERTY ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
793 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2018, FasciN8 wrote:

This is why we can't have nice things.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
828 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Back to the topic... who's performing 1-man illusion shows currently? What do you perform? What works and what doesn't?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7377 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Many illusions are public domain, and therefor I can build them myself, or get them from a magic builder at various prices. That is how you break into performing stage illusions if you don't have a lot of money.

And there are also a wide variety of lower priced stage illusions, aka starter illusions.

But some illusions aren't public domain (example - Magellan), and therefor if I want them, I have to save up to buy them from the proper source. To earn that money, that might mean working harder at booking paying shows, or setting aside income from another job besides performing, etc. If I can't raise that money to buy an authentic prop from a proper source, then I go without it.

There are lots of things in my life that I want, that I can't afford, so I go without. I hardly live a life of privilege.

I want Zaney Blaney's Suspension 3001 (or his Ladder Levitation). I own a Super-X Suspension.

I want Jeff Jones's Rhino Flight. I own a used Chair Suspension.

I want Smoky Mountain Magic's Jarrett Machine. I own a used Wiz Kote.

- Donald
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
828 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Well I tried to get this thread back on topic... shame it's been derailed.

The Magellan Levitation is not an expensive illusion... if you want to order one from China you can do that but there is a chance that what you get is of very poor quality. With something like the Magellan, you could def. get injured if something were to break. That alone would make me want to get the legit illusion. On top of that, the illusion has several small details that have probably been overlooked by the China builders, those little details help "sell" the illusion.

I just looked up 52 Magic.. makes me sick. Blaney Ladder... Steinmeyers Floating Box... there is a reason that you want a professionally built prop.

The Magellan knock off is listed at $200.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7377 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I have no problem with you buying a used Magellan prop, so long as it's authentic. I just want to be clear that I'm NOT saying that people have to buy authentic prop and that it must be new (& therefor full price).

- Donald
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
828 Posts

Profile of thomasR
"@Thomas, on the other hand, there is also a reason to buy an inexpensive version to see if it is something you would be able to perform or want to. "

Do you buy a knock-off iphone from China to see if it something you would want?

Talk to people on the Cafť who have the Magellan and see if it's something you want. It has it's draw backs. I bought mine, used, mostly because it could be a good prop to use for a photo / video opportunity.
It's not something I would want to perform all the time... pretty hard on the knees. But it's very portable and will check the box of "levitation" at your shows if that's what is needed.
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
828 Posts

Profile of thomasR
John... that's not the same thing. It would be like buying a rip-off RV from China and not paying the original designer of the RV. While it still rips off the originator, it's not the same as stealing.
If you took his RV he can get you arrested. He will not get arrested for buying a Magellan from China.
John Martin
View Profile
Special user
994 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Point missed!!!
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Come on... gentlemen... Please, stop this

The points on both sides have been clearly exposed, not by much repetition are we going to convince anyone and this ends like a nasty argument of those we are used here.

It's a clear matter that intellectual property MUST be respected, and therefore magical intellectual property must be respected too. Even more if all of us here supposedly love magic, we should support magic creators and don't pirate their ideas (By the way, the magical creators that we are talking about are not powerful multinational firms, but most cases middle class family men struggling to make ends meet, or that they have given up many things in life to devote themselves to create new magic effects) Magical entertainment is a small industry, even the smallest damages have a HUGE impact.

All this being said, there will be people who don't look beyond their own universe and personal circumstances, that don't want to see this and won't even realize this if they could see in front of their very eyes some magical creator stopping creating magic to take a regular job to pay his bills. Not because of reading the explanation many times they will convince themselves.

So please, stop, both sides. Thanks!
John Martin
View Profile
Special user
994 Posts

Profile of John Martin
So to sum up the last four paragraphs: 1. Donít steal other peoples stuff. 2. If youíre gonna steal other peopleís stuff thatís ok if you believe itís ok. 3. Let move on to more important issues like what colour card backs are more desirable.

John
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7377 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Some of the other alternatives to a "personal floating trick" are Jolly Roger's Cloth of Invisibility, the Balducci Levitation, and Steve Fearson's Fantastic Flotation. There's also something called the King Levitation, it sounds somewhat similar to the Balducci. And I'm sure many others (I seem to recall one from Paul Daniels and one from Nick Einhorn).

Simply suggesting a few alternatives to the Magellan, that might be a different price point.

- Donald

P.S. FasciN8 - I think your response was meant for someone else. I never mentioned anything about your RV (or your food) in any of my posts.
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2018, John Martin wrote:
So to sum up the last four paragraphs: 1. Don't steal other peoples stuff. 2. If you're gonna steal other people's stuff that's ok if you believe it's ok. 3. Let move on to more important issues like what colour card backs are more desirable.

John

John, I knew my English is not perfect, but I did't know it was so bad Smile
Point 1, you get the meaning
Point 2, If you're gonna steal other people's stuff that's NOT ok if you believe it's ok (but we're not going to change certain kind of people's mind, no matter how many times we repeat the same. It's useless filling threads reasoning with someone that doesn't want to listen)
Point 3, We have exposed clearly all the arguments, don't invest more time, let move on to the topic, Grand illusion to perform alone. And coming back to topic, I think Donald Dunphy has exposed very interesting alternatives
John Martin
View Profile
Special user
994 Posts

Profile of John Martin
I donít think alternatives are at issue here. It seems that fasciN8 believes itís ok to buy a cheap knock off because he doesnít have the funds to
purchase the original. This is theft. Period. Now I suggegested the if I stole his RV, that that would be OK. Apparently itís not. Period. I donít see any other argument for this behaviour. Period.

Sorcerer your English is perfect. Was just having a little fun.

When someone has to defend their poor behaviour in post after post, you gotta know that even they know their wrong.

John

Donald, youíre allowed to use my name, I donít bite 😂
omagico
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of omagico
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2018, omagico wrote:
Anyone have experience using the John Pezzi UP UP and Away?
https://upupandaway.tv

If so what are the pros and cons. I'm trying to decide between this and the spontus360.

Thanks

I ended up purchasing the levitation from Jon Pezzi. This device is solid. I'm over 250 pounds and I can sit on it without it moving. Practiced it about 20 times. Then 1st time in a show it was a total killer. They loved it. Also sent Jon a video of the performance and he gave a bunch of pointers. Solid purchase for a 1 person illusion.
knownmagician
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of knownmagician
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2018, omagico wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2018, omagico wrote:
Anyone have experience using the John Pezzi UP UP and Away?
https://upupandaway.tv

If so what are the pros and cons. I'm trying to decide between this and the spontus360.

Thanks

I ended up purchasing the levitation from Jon Pezzi. This device is solid. I'm over 250 pounds and I can sit on it without it moving. Practiced it about 20 times. Then 1st time in a show it was a total killer. They loved it. Also sent Jon a video of the performance and he gave a bunch of pointers. Solid purchase for a 1 person illusion.

Does this illusion same with Spontus 360 levitation only using smaller table?
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1399 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Does the kid have to be on their stomach, or can they float on their back?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Grand illusion Ľ Ľ Grand illusion to perform alone? (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL