The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Where to find Fakini Billiard Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
Where can I find them, and how much are they? Been out of the game for awhile and don't see them at my old haunts.

Thanks!
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
For all purposes they are out of business, they took orders last I heard, and never delivered or refunded the money. Frank died several years ago, the family ran them until some kind of trouble, then they just stopped with not rumors of why.

Just check a few topics down, you will see some new manufacturers that recently come to market.

If you had them and sold yours, big mistake.
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Several independent shops still carry them. Check out www.magicshopsandiego.com
I was just there today, and they have some in stock. Hope this helps!
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
They have indeed become harder and harder to find. JL Lukas makes a very suitable alternative, and I've been happy with them. I have, however, recently managed to find a set of Fakini balls on Ebay for $100, so you can occasionally find them in magic shops that do estate/commissions or at auctions.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
johnsterlini
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of johnsterlini
The Bond Lee 2" balls are now available, white and red. (white are currently sold out, more stock coming in soon)
$110 intro priced for 4B/2S sets
As a 30+ year user of another American made brand, I can honestly say I prefer these and have switched over.
The biggest difference to me is the fit of the shells-2 completely cover a ball, no gaps
You will not be disappointed
Schaff
View Profile
New user
Fargo, ND
75 Posts

Profile of Schaff
I have a like new special set of fakini golf balls I'll sell. Has 4 balls and 2 s***ls. Pm me if you would like to buy em.
kennyka
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of kennyka
I think the Bond Lee balls are really good so I'd go that route. I was exclusively a Fakini ball fan ordering directly and in contact with them when I could buy them. After that wasn't an option, I found the Bond Lee balls to be pretty nice. The only downside is not getting "Prestige Red", manipulation balls and custom sizes/colors. I own 2 sets of the 1.7 size and I don't think anybody wanting to replace their Fakinis will be disappointed. Glad the 2" version is now available. Just my opinion. Give the Bond Lee balls a shot.
johnsterlini
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of johnsterlini
Kenny
The new 2" red balls are close to the prestige red, not the florescent shade of most sets including the BL 1.7" balls
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
I just bought the 2" red Bond Lee balls. The color is indeed close to prestige red. The balls are close to Fakini. The only disappointment I've had is that the shells are thicker than Fakini's and they are looser fitting. If I'm not holding them just right, they will fall apart. But generally very good quality and the color you want.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I like that my Bond Lee balls don't have such a tight fit. The thickness of the shell isn't much more than the set of Fakini I have, but this is just my experience. Not saying anyone else is wrong. My Bond Lee set is 1.7" (Which is what I wanted) and my Fakini is 2" so the disparaty might be greater with a 2" Bond Lee.

Different strokes for different folk I guess. I don't have to add bumpers so I can manipulate them. I do need to throw them right so they don't come apart, but I don't throw them more than once and I do separate them severally.

I use white, so I can't say anything about the color.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As far as I know Fakini's were 1.75. Bond Lee is 1.7. So that is a difference of .05.
johnsterlini
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of johnsterlini
Danaruns-
Regarding the comments on the shells, this is not necessarily true. I have several Fakini shells and they vary from 1.9MM to 2.4MM and the BL are 2.2MM.

For advanced moves like 1 to 4, etc, having a ball stick in the shell is not favorable. Personally, I think the fit of the ball to shell is perfect. Also, two shells fit around a ball perfectly - no gaps like on the Fakini's. If you put 2 shells on a Fakini ball, you will have almost a 1/4" gap, not ideal for multiple shell routines.

With that being said, if a tighter fit is desired, it is a simple fix - super glue will hold it well.

Kidding, add a small piece/pieces of tape to the inside of the shell along the edge until you get the feel you like. Many have added felt tabs, etc to Fakini (and other) shells to enable the ball not to stick as securely.

Hope this helps
johnsterlini
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of johnsterlini
Bill you are correct - Fakini 1.75, BL are 1.7
kennyka
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of kennyka
With Fakini sets I have, I've had to add a small rubber "bumper" to the inside of the s***l. This is the same thing you buy at a hardware store to stick on the bottom of a vase or whatever. It was a tip Levent offered in his Billiard Balls DVD set and helped because too tight a fit and it gets stuck. With silicone type balls that air gap usually helps. Mine are clear rubber with adhesive to attach it and they are on every Fakini s***l I have. After using wooden sets with a few dents when I was a kid, anything "grippy" is a big improvement. I still can't believe and remain in awe of Cardini and Benson just among the few that could handle the real billiards. I still say Wow and can't imagine the practice that took. I like the new sets out now and think Fakini was the "go to" for everyone once they were available. It's sad to me that Fakini had/has a following and just decided to stop doing it, but it happens and maybe their hearts just weren't in it anymore. I like the fact that the Bond Lee's I have also have the seams shaved. I have a few Fakini sets where there is a seam that only "YOU OR I" would notice. But, that's just fit and finish. It's still nice when you are buying a quality set and paying a lot for them to have them really done right. If you're paying crazy money, you expect mediocre quality at least, I think. I have said a lot and apologize, but hope my comments are of some value. Glad we have other options!
kennyka
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of kennyka
Got to play with the 2" set of red Bond Lee set I ordered that arrived yesterday. And I know this thread is now a bit off subject as far as finding a Fakini set new today, but these are nice and don't stick like the Fakini sets did (especially Prestige Red). I was told that the dye used for the Prestige actually made them tackier, which I found true. I agree that the shells are thicker but there's no need for bumpers and the two shells fit perfectly. There are slight seams but they are a good working set. There's also more of a matte on the shells (just for the red) which was mentioned to me before I ordered. But from any reasonable distance, the thickness and finish are not noticeable at all. I have small hands and think the grip, weight and overall feel is really good. My ONLY complaint, if I push for one, is the shell thickness. But I agree with the Bond Lee balls comments and I like them. There's some NEW old stock Fakini and used sets around as mentioned and I don't get anything for saying I think these are a better value for typical ball sets. The only thing constant is change and these are a really good Fakini alternative. Plus 4 balls w/ the 2 extras. Just my opinion and I know if I were trying to find a Fakini set now and knew about these, I'd be glad someone let me know. Now the golf balls sets are a different story. Hope this helps someone.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just discovered on browsing, that Tannen's Magic lists Fakini Balls in 1-3/4 inch size. All are sold separately. I would check by telephone if possible, as Tannen's have been known to substitute other brands for e one you are actually ordering. They made this qualifying notice many years ago. So buyer be ware and pay on PayPal or credit card that will handle a dispute.
bkmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, SC
119 Posts

Profile of bkmeyer
I've been looking for the giant climax golf ball. Does anyone have one they would like to part with? Searching Internet has not yielded good options. Thanks.

Bruce
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Giant Golf Ball was a children's saving bank, that was covered with the silicon material. They were found in stores back in the late 1970's. I found one at a Dollar Like store many years ago. Tried to make it a Zombie. I don't know how many Frank bought at the time, but they have been off the market for many years.

Just did a small search, only found ceramic ones now being offered. Go figure, in a plastic world, can only find ceramic giant golf balls.

What a world.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Greg, at Abbott's, found some Jumbo golf balls about 10 or 12 years ago. I doubt that he has any more left. I'll be in Colon for the annual Flea Market on May 12. I'll ask Greg.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Yarden_Aviv
View Profile
New user
Israel
33 Posts

Profile of Yarden_Aviv
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2018, johnsterlini wrote:
The Bond Lee 2" balls are now available, white and red. (white are currently sold out, more stock coming in soon)
$110 intro priced for 4B/2S sets
As a 30+ year user of another American made brand, I can honestly say I prefer these and have switched over.
The biggest difference to me is the fit of the shells-2 completely cover a ball, no gaps
You will not be disappointed

Will the Bond Lee 2” balls be available through Murphy’s Magic dealers?
The new closer to your Ambitious Card routine: Transcend
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Where to find Fakini Billiard Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL